Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

As many of you know lava lite promised to improve the quality of their lamps. The new lamps should have started rolling out in November. Has anyone bought a lamp recently?

I got a grande that was from the "fixed" batch of lamps. It arrived very cloudy but quickly cleared up after a few days. It is still a little cloudy but it looks like it will clear up in time. The wax does not have the urinal cake look to it and it also doesnt overheat nearly as fast as the old grandes. I have talked to a few others who also got the "fixed" grandes and theirs are not doing as good as mine is.

Another thing I thought I would share is I was at Kmart yesterday and I opened some lamp tubes. Every lamp I pulled was crystal clear, even the black wax lamps were clear. None of these lamps had a hint of cloudyness, sadly they were all 8oz and 20oz lamps. The date on the lamps was November 10th. I did not buy any so I dont know how they flow but it looks promising.

I did leave with one lava brand product that I am really happy with.

Views: 1403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those can be found on eBay. I've seen them on there a few times. 

Kempton said:

How did Bohdan get these pictures? These lamps are kinda girly, like with the rabbits. They look cool too. I wonder if they will start a new lineup. If they looks nice and flow well a 3rd generation my begin

Astrobaby I heart NY said:

I wonder if these new 20oz contemporary designs are part of the new 2011 lineup?, I am sure they will sell very well to college kids and for a teenager's bedroom.

\

I see rabbits, pandas, cats and dogs...

I hope these aren't truly representative of the 2011 line. Their descriptions SEEMED promising...but who knows how much enthusiasm they retained when haters drove them off the board with torches and pitchforks. Never before or since have I been truly ashamed to be here - and I thank goodness things got put back into shape.

I don't demand collector lamps, but I'd like to see high-quality flow. They said here that they had re-hired one of the chemists who managed the formula when production was in the US, and that they were sending him to China. I put out a bet at that time, and I'll restate it here: I bet Lava DEMANDED that their product cost less than the knockoffs - and this isn't all that unreasonable; if the knockoffs cost less than the name brand, the name brand sells less. But, and here's the meat-and-potatoes of my bet - I'll bet the factory in China, having little oversight by the company in the US, cut the formula quality steeply - hence the knockoff brands working better than Lava Brand - in order to satisfy this demand... and didn't tell the company. If asked, they may have even denied it.

Me too!

Richard said:

Hello Kitty....

LMAO

we are way off topic!

Once again I went to walmart but this time I took pictures. The bottle was absolutely crystal clear. Not even a hint of cloudiness. There also wasnt any white powder at the bottom of the lamp which is what seems to make the china lamps cloudy. Also look at the two blue/yellow tubes on the left. The left most tube was made in november while the second to the left tube was made in september. They improved the graphics to remove the bubbles in the wax.

Those are exactly the lamps I just purchased. I got two good blue/yellow and purple/yellow but I did notice some of the purple/yellow's were cloudy but only a few! They may edit out the bubbles on the box but the lava still has them lol 

I should be getting one of the new shipments of 52oz this week from Lava Lite Chicago so I will post the cap number and let you know if they are cloudy. 

アンドル said:

Once again I went to walmart but this time I took pictures. The bottle was absolutely crystal clear. Not even a hint of cloudiness. There also wasnt any white powder at the bottom of the lamp which is what seems to make the china lamps cloudy. Also look at the two blue/yellow tubes on the left. The left most tube was made in november while the second to the left tube was made in september. They improved the graphics to remove the bubbles in the wax.

No offense to you Kempton but that "lava lamp" is anything but.  It looks like third world junk!  Sure it flows but the LAVA and FLOW is what makes a lamp.  Without one or the other all you have is a junk lamp.  Lava should NEVER be translucent.  EVER!  It should be thick, gooey and VIBRANT!  Like ACTUAL lava. 

Sorry but Lava Lite died 10 years ago as a company.  Any lamps made from then on are pure junk and a waste of time/money.  Just my opinion.

Kempton said:

Well all my faith is back in lava lite! I went down to my local Spencer's gifts and picked up a royal or 52 oz. They let me open it to make sure it wasn't cloudy. It looked great actually. Once I got home i plugged it in. After two hours the wax liquefied then started to flow 10 minutes later. It achieved a nice flow after 3 hours. The cap reads 10090501 which means it was made 9-5-10. Here ae some pictures. Sorry about the Grande tower in the back!

Even usa made lava lamps are translucent on the first run. Maybe you have never owned a lamp from the first run but I have. It takes a few runs before the wax loses its transparent look.

K尺工ち said:

No offense to you Kempton but that "lava lamp" is anything but.  It looks like third world junk!  Sure it flows but the LAVA and FLOW is what makes a lamp.  Without one or the other all you have is a junk lamp.  Lava should NEVER be translucent.  EVER!  It should be thick, gooey and VIBRANT!  Like ACTUAL lava. 

Sorry but Lava Lite died 10 years ago as a company.  Any lamps made from then on are pure junk and a waste of time/money.  Just my opinion.

That was the second run and i like the transparency. It is fine now. It does get overheated fast and takes a long time to heat up. watching it now.  Also the box for the lava lamps looks much different than mine!
K尺工ち said:

Kempton said:

Well all my faith is back in lava lite! I went down to my local Spencer's gifts and picked up a royal or 52 oz. They let me open it to make sure it wasn't cloudy. It looked great actually. Once I got home i plugged it in. After two hours the wax liquefied then started to flow 10 minutes later. It achieved a nice flow after 3 hours. The cap reads 10090501 which means it was made 9-5-10. Here ae some pictures. Sorry about the Grande tower in the back!

If the new lamps act like the old usa lamps then after about a weeks worth of run time the lamp should stop overheating so fast.

Kempton said:

That was the second run and i like the transparency. It is fine now. It does get overheated fast and takes a long time to heat up. watching it now.  Also the box for the lava lamps looks much different than mine!
K尺工ち said:

Kempton said:

Yes, Erin - Lava Brand in the 90s were transPARENT - almost CLEAR wax - on the first run or two (or three). It was normal. I always wanted to make one stay that way - white/blue with almost fully transparent lava was stunning.
they should have a transparent line up that would rule and bring up sales from me

Jonas Clark-Elliott said:
Yes, Erin - Lava Brand in the 90s were transPARENT - almost CLEAR wax - on the first run or two (or three). It was normal. I always wanted to make one stay that way - white/blue with almost fully transparent lava was stunning.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service