Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Schylling should consider hiring the people behind this.  Wild stuff.

https://courses.engr.illinois.edu/ece445/getfile.asp?id=9064

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well there are some sticking points to this proposal.  He mentioned the unit will be one piece, so no swapping globes. No mention of lava make up or life of lava.  So I would take it that this will be a a formulation that will melt quickly within 10 minutes he states.  Wonder if you will be able to tinker with lava, guess we will have to figure out how to manipulate the lava for refreshing dead lava or for tweaks.  All sounds good, but if this is produced it will hasten the phasing  out of incandescent bulbs even faster, leave some of us with huge collections again, with limited sources for said bulbs.   Stated parts alone for this lamp will be around $105 bones.  So am sure lamp in question will run at least $150- 200 bones?  Will wait and see what happens as this is in the proposal stages at this time.

Interesting! I am currently studying electrical engineering at Illinois and had no idea this project was in the works. I will have to check out our Engineering Open House later in the spring to see what the final design turns out to be.

Awesome Idea
I'm glad to see people working on this
I come from an engineering background (Back in the day of the inception of the 555 timer)
Opps! showing my age.
I can appreciate their tech

However,..
I fear the end result has some flaws:
We will have a $100++ Lava Lamp nobody will afford!
Tech isn't cheap-even when outsourced to China in huge volume.
The market will probably not bear the purchase price with cheap competition.

Heating a small lamp (up to 52oz) that fast will require borosilicate glass (Pyrex) due to expansion.
More added costs
It will be best served in LARGE lamps so that really need the efficiency to heat
And,.. are easier to work on (Grande/Colossus)

With the exception of heating the coil using inductance (great idea BTY) I did this similar setup with my color change grandes
Power supply 120VAC to 12VDC powered a remote controller for a LED ring to control color.
Lamp goo is heated in another fashion via 120V and dimmer

FYI< they are a little behind the times in their idea of the lava goo formula and options available

Alex, I'd in illinois as well, Id be interested to see the results
Hell, I might even sponsor the research at some point

sounds very much like mathmos smart astro, nothing but issues, heating plate failing, led bulbs etc, think its doomed already maybe they need to work on making a lamp that isnt cloudy and flows :-/  feel sorry for you guys in the states paying money out for poor quality

I buy Mathmos and have them shipped over here through a 3rd party! Or from eBay. Fluidium is my favorite 

Johnny said:

sounds very much like mathmos smart astro, nothing but issues, heating plate failing, led bulbs etc, think its doomed already maybe they need to work on making a lamp that isnt cloudy and flows :-/  feel sorry for you guys in the states paying money out for poor quality

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service