Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Just been looking on ebay again (I really do need banning from there) Anyway, I saw this lamp http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Retro-Lava-Lamp-Ashtray-/16053229036...

It doesn't float my boat but, I wondered who made it, not seen anything like that before.

Views: 554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just seen the same lamp for sale on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com/london/73/71649373.html

It did have the price on the advert but it has been removed.

that is nice! it would go down great in my smoking den lol

Sorry for the late reply been out for a couple of hours.

It is really strange that lamp, I would say it could easily be knocked over and funny item for a lamp to be made in really. James Manley, sounds like it has your name on it lol.

Only thing is, it is in London somewhere, most of the lamps I see to purchase are always down the other end of the country and collection only. Personally, that lamp doesn't float my boat, just thought I'd point it out for anyone that likes that sort of thing. :)

Anyone know who's made it?

That's another strange lamp as well.

Marcel said:
Cheers Astro, didn't think they looked like they could be Crestworth or Mathmos made. I know the lamps you are talking about in George and Mildred, I've seen them many times :)

Astrobaby feat. Monsterball said:

They are Italian Glitter lamps, they are very popular all over Europe and they were produced in the 1970s. They made them in many different styles, many different colours and also some with an ash-tray on the top and some without. The baby blue version has the original bottle, the other one in the UK, the guy just placed a Jet bottle inside it.

They also go under the name of "Italian Deadly Glitter Lamps" as seen in newspaper articles. You can see them without the ashtray in vintage George and Mildred episodes. They come in different colours. There were many different European Glitter lamp manufacturers. If you like vintage glitter lamps check out: www.trippyglitters.com

peace -'baby.

I would be very tempted to buy this but I don't have the cash available :( hopefully i will get one in the future for a smaller price. but it's a very nice lamp / ashtray :) it's been added to the watch list lol

Susan said:

Sorry for the late reply been out for a couple of hours.

It is really strange that lamp, I would say it could easily be knocked over and funny item for a lamp to be made in really. James Manley, sounds like it has your name on it lol.

Only thing is, it is in London somewhere, most of the lamps I see to purchase are always down the other end of the country and collection only. Personally, that lamp doesn't float my boat, just thought I'd point it out for anyone that likes that sort of thing. :)

Anyone know who's made it?

The lava one is a refill. Came in red, flame, orange, gold, yellow, white, light and dark blue, light and dark green, maroon and black. There are five or six base styles (all slight variants), five or six plain tops and three different ashtray tops. Most of the ashtrays are split-trays, this spinner model is less common. Originally they were either glitter, or clear water with plastic roses inside. Italian made. Bohdan's is a repaint.
Don't anybody dare pay 125 pounds for it! They're a very common cheap plastic glitter lamp. They pop up for sale all the time on e-Bay in Europe for a fraction of that price. . Not my cup of tea....
I remember these being in the cheaper gift type shops in about 1976-1978 in Bournemouth, UK, both with and without the ashtray. As has been stated before, they are a "solvent glitter" lamp, I've never seen one with lava in it.
Very interesting, I learn something new each day lol. Wouldn't want to buy it anyway, not our taste. :)
I'm in the US, and I'd *love* to get my hands on one of the ashtray ones, especially in orange.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service