Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Besides solvent glitters, I'm sorry to say I have no idea what's in any modern or vintage glitter lamps. Even with solvent glitters, the exact composition varies. Florence Arts are the same as MasterCrafters, whose patent lists several possible liquids including propylene glycol and glycerine, yet the bottles smell almost like weak wine. I haven't the foggiest idea what's in a Grande, but I'd really love to know.

Once the glitter settled, when I emptied it I got about a gallon of mostly liquid, and another gallon of liquid chock full of glitter. I'll be using the liquid-only to try to figure out what it's made of, though I really have no idea where to start. Anyone know of any patents that don't pertain to solvents (perchloroethylene, trichlorotrifluoroethane, carbon tetrachloride, etc.) or glycerin/PEG?

Awww, that stinks. :( Give them a call/email. They should make it right.

Teal Tuesday said:

Well, I got my neon green grande last week but the bulb came broken,so I got a replacement bulb. I turned it on full power yesterday and after 9 hours of running it did nothing more than spike up but never flowed so I turned it off to try again today except now it doesnt turn on at  all. Thinking the bulb had blown, I tested it in another socket and it works fine. I also tested another working bulb in the grande base socket but it did not work either ,so now it seems the socket is disfunctional. Unfortunately I'm not electrically inclined so I'm not sure why it stopped working after I shut it off. The dimmer switch is completely turned up so I know its not that the dimmer accidently got turned down. 

Both lamps are running well this morning. No "dust" that I can see, but you can bet I'll be eyeing these like a hawk for the next few runs! Thanks for the encouragement. 

Rob C said:

Erin - a word of encouragement. My neon green Grande arrived yesterday with the same, dreaded "white dust," and I was suitably alarmed as well. However, after running for 13 hours now at full power, the lamp is crystal clear and flowing like a champ. Fingers crossed for you!

Yeah,  I was thinking the same thing!

Brad said:

flow looks great on that pink gra...oh snap check out what appears to be a grande glitter starship! ;)

You wanna sell that glitter Grande??

Jonas Clark-Elliott said:

Purchase made, neon pink Grande. I can't wait; The Blob's photos show some amazing flow. Now I just have to figure out where this is going; maybe I'll get rid of my glitter Grande, which I never use.

I had a glitter Grande and I will tell you, the flow is pretty boring. So much so that I drained mine. 

So after reading 67 pages, I ordered pink and green Grandes. I couldn't wait for Christmas (sorry, wife!) All this talk about the Centuries sounds exactly like my P/Y Colossus, which is collecting dust until I kit it. The red clear Colossus has been running for weeks (months?) and it is still gorgeous. It's getting cold outside again, so it's Lava season again at my house! (Lava auxilliary heating!)  I'll be back on OG much more often now. 

But anyway, I'm hoping for the best with these Grandes.  As for the rest of the Heritage line, I'll pass. I don't need to relive my Colossus headaches all over again.  

Great choices, and prudent under the circumstances, Ben.   Merry Christmas early, and happy to see you back.   ;-)

I heard back from Susan today. I'm asking for a return on the Century. As much as I like the base and cap, considering the flow on the globe, it's just not worth keeping for $50. I fear a replacement globe would just have the same problem. 

you will see giant-like flow with the dimmer turned down (as you mentioned) or an ambient temp. around 70-72F.  at least i do with my grande.  nice lamps!

Critter said:

I gave up last night and went to bed at the 6.5 hour mark and the lamps had only spiked by then.  When I woke up this morning I found this:

Lovely flow, not quite Giant flow but just as nice.  I think if the dimmer gets toned back just a bit to slow the flow down the Giant will have met its match.  By the time I consider the over all quality of these lamps, the stunning colors, great clarity along with amazing flow I have to say that these are out of the park grand slams.  Probably the best Lava Lites since production (sadly) went East.  

I'm leaving them run today while at work so see how they do for extend runs.  I've already bumped the dimmer back just a tad.

Love 'em!!!!!

Critter

what is the ambient temp in the room?  these take a bit longer to heat up due to the pinholes in the base.

Teal Tuesday said:

Well, I got my neon green grande last week but the bulb came broken,so I got a replacement bulb. I turned it on full power yesterday and after 9 hours of running it did nothing more than spike up but never flowed so I turned it off to try again today except now it doesnt turn on at  all. Thinking the bulb had blown, I tested it in another socket and it works fine. I also tested another working bulb in the grande base socket but it did not work either ,so now it seems the socket is disfunctional. Unfortunately I'm not electrically inclined so I'm not sure why it stopped working after I shut it off. The dimmer switch is completely turned up so I know its not that the dimmer accidently got turned down. 

I'm not sure if it's the pinholes, I put my pink globe on a silver grande base and it took just about the same time. My grande takes ALOT less time now than on its first 2-3 cycles.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service