Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely keep us posted....if they don't resolve themselves then I guess this answers the question I had whether or not these could be simmered.  Seems silly to put the dimmers on them...thought that was one of the benefits to help speed up startup time by keeping them warm.

My Century is performing better, but I still cannot recommend people buy them. They just aren't worth the $50 and I think I'm going to have a hard time re-selling it if I ever do. I do like the base and cap, but the globe (which is 90% of the lamp's raison d'etre) is sub-par. I think I am going to pop the top and refill with green water and make a xmas lamp. :)

I agree, Erin, no way would I recommend the Century to anyone.   I'm going to try my red glitter globe on the Heritage Century base.   Not even sure yet if it'll flow.  But it would make a good Christmas lamp too!   I think I'll open up the globe and experiment too.  Not even I could hurt this one.

my centuries are definitely getting better with run time.  it's not USA flow by any means, but it's not a walmart 20oz lamp flow either.  the cap of wax at the top of the r/y is much smaller than it used to be, so there isn't as much wax collecting at the top.  i've been running both lamps for 24+ hours per cycle, so that seems to be helping.

Marley, you're a damn genius! I did what you said and they are both working again--but with the towels wrapped around the bases. Very odd because the room temperature is the same as it was before and I never needed the towels before. But I'm happy; they're working. I take back SOME of the grief I gave LL but not all. Just like with the Colossus; they are a fickle machine.

Marley's Ghost said:

Ben, if you can, get two thick towels and wrap those lamps up again, completely around the base and globe with just an inch or two showing at the top so you can see when the wax starts melting good.  Run them full blast, and leave the towels on until the wax is completely melted in both lamps, and it might take a long time, but be patient.  Then, still with the towels on them, turn them off and let the melted wax settle back flat at the bottom as usual.   Take off the towels at that point and leave them alone for at least 24 hours and the wax is hard again.   Then fire them back up, full blast, making sure your room temp is at least 70 degrees or higher and see what happens.  Mine sort of did like yours, but not nearly as bad when the room temp dropped and the wax started hardening while flowing.    I hope that will work for you.  I leave mine on for 48 hours at a time sometimes, and have never used the dimmer.   They don't overheat.   Oh yes, if you still have a hardened little plug of wax at the top after their 24 hour rest, and before you turn them back on, just tip the globe sideways and give it a teeny shake (while all the wax is still hard!) and that plug will drop down to the bottom.  Then turn them on.

Also, check the coils in both lamps.  Sometimes when you first turn them on, that huge blob of hardened wax will "flip" up sideways and you can see the coils.  They both usually go back to the bottom when the wax melts, but the smaller one in my Green Grande fell and overlapped the large one on one side the other day.  I noticed I had a weird one-sided flow till I picked up the globe up out of the base and saw what had happened.  I did the "GENTLE" back and forth spin with the globe off the base on the counter top, and it fixed itself.    

Ben said:

Grrrrrrr... I'm having problems with my 2 Heritage Grandes...

The other day I decided to turn the dimmers down to keep them warm instead of shutting them off. What a mistake THAT was. They both spiked out as expected but it was more of a single cone than a pile of spikes. And when I tried cranking them up again, I got big chunks of wax lodged about halfway up the globes and they would NOT go down. It as if they were being boyant; they kept bobbing back up. It's like the globes couldn't get hot enough anymore. So I put a towel over both of them this morning to get them warm enough to melt the chunks. It worked with the pink Grande, but the gorgeous blobby, snaky flow was gone. It was acting like my half-dead B/Y craigslist Grande with one big lazy light bulb shaped blob. The green was even worse! Just a dome at the bottom and a smaller plug of wax at the top that will NOT sink down.

So... I shut them both down & fired them back up. Green grande is still dead. Pink is currently cycling through spikes, which seems to take forever now. I put the neon green globe on my old B/Y Grande base and it domes slightly higher but it's still doing nothing. The old grande globe is working fine on the new heritage base.

This totally pisses me off. Just when I thought LL had hit a home run...

Any ideas?

Are you using the original bulb or a reflector bulb?

Brad said:

my centuries are definitely getting better with run time.  it's not USA flow by any means, but it's not a walmart 20oz lamp flow either.  the cap of wax at the top of the r/y is much smaller than it used to be, so there isn't as much wax collecting at the top.  i've been running both lamps for 24+ hours per cycle, so that seems to be helping.

I'm so happy that worked for you, Ben!!!   Not too sure about the genius part, but very sweet of you to say.  LOL  ;-))  These Grandes are gorgeous, but they are "very" temp sensitive.   I'd just leave the towels on them if they like it, and just unwrap the towels a little at a time around the base till the Grandes stay happy and are flowing perfectly again.   Just give em time to make the temp adjustment on anything you do, these are "big" lamps and it does take a while to see a difference in the flow.  

Ben said:

Marley, you're a damn genius! I did what you said and they are both working again--but with the towels wrapped around the bases. Very odd because the room temperature is the same as it was before and I never needed the towels before. But I'm happy; they're working. I take back SOME of the grief I gave LL but not all. Just like with the Colossus; they are a fickle machine.

Marley's Ghost said:

Ben, if you can, get two thick towels and wrap those lamps up again, completely around the base and globe with just an inch or two showing at the top so you can see when the wax starts melting good.  Run them full blast, and leave the towels on until the wax is completely melted in both lamps, and it might take a long time, but be patient.  Then, still with the towels on them, turn them off and let the melted wax settle back flat at the bottom as usual.   Take off the towels at that point and leave them alone for at least 24 hours and the wax is hard again.   Then fire them back up, full blast, making sure your room temp is at least 70 degrees or higher and see what happens.  Mine sort of did like yours, but not nearly as bad when the room temp dropped and the wax started hardening while flowing.    I hope that will work for you.  I leave mine on for 48 hours at a time sometimes, and have never used the dimmer.   They don't overheat.   Oh yes, if you still have a hardened little plug of wax at the top after their 24 hour rest, and before you turn them back on, just tip the globe sideways and give it a teeny shake (while all the wax is still hard!) and that plug will drop down to the bottom.  Then turn them on.

Also, check the coils in both lamps.  Sometimes when you first turn them on, that huge blob of hardened wax will "flip" up sideways and you can see the coils.  They both usually go back to the bottom when the wax melts, but the smaller one in my Green Grande fell and overlapped the large one on one side the other day.  I noticed I had a weird one-sided flow till I picked up the globe up out of the base and saw what had happened.  I did the "GENTLE" back and forth spin with the globe off the base on the counter top, and it fixed itself.    

Ben said:

Grrrrrrr... I'm having problems with my 2 Heritage Grandes...

The other day I decided to turn the dimmers down to keep them warm instead of shutting them off. What a mistake THAT was. They both spiked out as expected but it was more of a single cone than a pile of spikes. And when I tried cranking them up again, I got big chunks of wax lodged about halfway up the globes and they would NOT go down. It as if they were being boyant; they kept bobbing back up. It's like the globes couldn't get hot enough anymore. So I put a towel over both of them this morning to get them warm enough to melt the chunks. It worked with the pink Grande, but the gorgeous blobby, snaky flow was gone. It was acting like my half-dead B/Y craigslist Grande with one big lazy light bulb shaped blob. The green was even worse! Just a dome at the bottom and a smaller plug of wax at the top that will NOT sink down.

So... I shut them both down & fired them back up. Green grande is still dead. Pink is currently cycling through spikes, which seems to take forever now. I put the neon green globe on my old B/Y Grande base and it domes slightly higher but it's still doing nothing. The old grande globe is working fine on the new heritage base.

This totally pisses me off. Just when I thought LL had hit a home run...

Any ideas?

Yay, Lala.......at least for the lamp!!!   ;-0

lalalava said:

okay so I covered up the offending window A/C last night and my pinky did NOT get a stiffy (nether did any one else in the room :-/ ) ...problem solved!...well sorta lol :P

i'm using R16 reflector bulbs.

Egnix said:

Are you using the original bulb or a reflector bulb?

Brad said:

What type of bulb does the heritage grande come with?

100 Watt. 

http://www.lavalamp.com/replacement-bulbs

Cowmatian said:

What type of bulb does the heritage grande come with?

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure as that bulb's description didn't mention the heritage grande, and the heritage grande doesn't come up when you click on "grande" on LL's website.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service