Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thank you for that info.  the variability in voltage on my lamp is much greater than 5v but on the max setting it only hits 100v or so.  i think the quality control on the dimmers was poor.

Jeff said:

Just wanted to post a quick update...I put the voltmeter on mine today and I get the full 120v.  Oddly enough, the dimmer's range only seems to be 5v, from "just clicked on" to full.  Voltage starts at 115v and goes to 120v (which is what I have at the wall) when full on.  The dimmer must regulate the current as well or something, since obviously when 1st clicked on there is no light, so there's no way its seeing 115v.  Unless when under load that drops right off.  Not really sure how I could get a reading under load, but in any event those ones that were only showing 98V at no load may very well have a problem contributing to the excessive long warm up times.

I also rigged up an "adapter" today to raise my bulb up about 1/2 inch...this knocked off over 2 hrs...warmed up to flowing from cold in just under 5.5 hrs now instead of 7.5-8hrs, will see how it is the next few cycles to see if it remains in the 5-6 hr warm up window or if today was just a fluke. 

WONDERFUL !! so glad you are happy with your lamp . Is the wax level lower in your V2 ?

Loren said:

I love the flow of this lamp! I'm going to have to get a pink one now, methinks...

I get column flow for a few minutes, then the whole thing explodes into a shower of smaller blobs...then they all come back together again. Amazing. I have a V2, and I'm glad. I'm oldschool about the single coil! I'm not sure how the less wax will compare, but if it keeps the whole plug from flipping all the time, then it gets my vote of approval also. I have only run this twice, but it spiked beautifully both times...no flippage! For people having this issue, it might be better to turn the dimmer down until it spikes, releasing some of that pressure, then turn it back up for full meltdown. Just an idea...

And I don't dare alter this lamp. Yes, it takes a long time to get going, but it's the middle of Winter. I'm sure when it's August, this baby will crank up in 4-5 hours. I don't want to fix it now, only to have it overheat and flip the wax constantly as soon as the weather gets warm again.

Here's my new favorite lamp...

Joanne said:

let us know what version you get and please 'show off " lol

Loren said:

I got a neon green heritage grande as an unexpected xmas gift! YAY! I'm so excited. :)

It hasn't been shipped yet, but it's ordered.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY!

Not entirely true as I have had to dim my V1 pink Neon on several occasions.  I tend to run it at least 18 or so hours per run.  Slow as shit to heat up, but good things come to those who wait.  99% of time you will keep the lamp at full throttle.

Marley's Ghost said:

Loren, you cannot turn the dimmer down on the V1.   It will NEVER get going, it's too cold blooded.  I have never used the dimmer on either of mine in full flow and neither have ever overheated.   They almost always do the "flip" but when the wax melts, the coils fall back to the bottom, so no problem, just longer wait time to flow.   Both my V1's flow beautifully---so far.

Your lamp is gorgeous!  Congratulations!!    Lib

I'm glad it's not true for yours, Jim, but it is for both my V1's.   I run mine for 2 and 3 days straight and they have never overheated at all and flow great.   They do have a very long start-up time, but it's worth it, as you said.

Jim said:

Not entirely true as I have had to dim my V1 pink Neon on several occasions.  I tend to run it at least 18 or so hours per run.  Slow as shit to heat up, but good things come to those who wait.  99% of time you will keep the lamp at full throttle.

Marley's Ghost said:

Loren, you cannot turn the dimmer down on the V1.   It will NEVER get going, it's too cold blooded.  I have never used the dimmer on either of mine in full flow and neither have ever overheated.   They almost always do the "flip" but when the wax melts, the coils fall back to the bottom, so no problem, just longer wait time to flow.   Both my V1's flow beautifully---so far.

Your lamp is gorgeous!  Congratulations!!    Lib

Thank you! I'm really happy with it! I don't have a V1 to compare with it, but when the wax is cold and totally flat, it's roughly 1/2" above the rim of the base.

I just turned it on for run #3, and guess what...the wax flipped. :p You're right, Lib...it takes a LOT longer when the wax flips! I was mostly worried about getting bare spots on the coil, but maybe those won't show up...fingers crossed. I am definitely going to try and turn the dimmer down next time...or try to...until it spikes, to see if I can prevent that next time. It's no big deal or anything when it flips, I'd just rather it didn't...you know? I think it looks a whole lot more interesting when it spikes, instead.

Joanne said:

WONDERFUL !! so glad you are happy with your lamp . Is the wax level lower in your V2 ?

Hey Loren, so the wax level is above the rim?? On my v2 it cools FLAT but It's just barely below the rim. A lot less than my V1 which is about 1/2 above. Maybe you got a v3???

Lala, you added a second coil to the v2 and it changed the flow? Because I REALLY been wanting to do that. Did you just drop a coil while flowing?

Bravo, Lala!

lalalava said:

so I finally fixed my green V2. I opened it and added a second coil. its perfect now...beyond beautiful flow!

Now, let's have an encore for Rodrigo's V2!!!   

Kirk said:

Bravo, Lala!

lalalava said:

so I finally fixed my green V2. I opened it and added a second coil. its perfect now...beyond beautiful flow!

I don't know! It's definitely above the rim, though...here, looksee:

Rodrigo said:

Hey Loren, so the wax level is above the rim?? On my v2 it cools FLAT but It's just barely below the rim. A lot less than my V1 which is about 1/2 above. Maybe you got a v3???

Lala, you added a second coil to the v2 and it changed the flow? Because I REALLY been wanting to do that. Did you just drop a coil while flowing?

wow that is more than mine by quite a bit too .

Definitely more wax than my V2 as well..

I think I'm gonna open mine up and add a second coil like lala did.

Maybe they're reading the comments here and trying to improve some things.  Everyone said the V2's didn't have as much wax in them as the V1's.   When my V1 cools down, I'll see how much wax is in it.

Rodrigo, good idea about the second coil if it worked so well for Lala! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service