Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 41301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's their reason.....
 
Autumn said:

For proof of a defective lamp.

Marley's Ghost said:

David, I sent Susan three pictures of my y/r Century this past Monday to show her what we were all talking about.  The problems are the same on "every" Century that has problems, so I have no idea why more pics were even necessary.  I guess they have their reasons.
 
David said:

I emailed LL about my Century and Susan asked for a picture so she could "see what I was talking about" - geez, I know I'm not the first one that's contacted them about this problem but I'll snap a couple pics anyway and see what they say.

 

Ben, I was thinking about holding scrapping everything inside my Century and going the goo kit route - I wanted to play around with one of those and have been looking for a suitable candidate anyway - I guess it's the principle of the thing that makes me want to hold LL accountable and demand they make it right.

For those experiencing issues with the Centuries I highly recommend an analytical approach to reporting the issue to Lava Lite.  I fully realize that it shouldn't be our job, but think about why you are here to begin with and why you bought lamps from the Heritage collection.  Like me, you love lava lamps.  In that regard, provide feedback to Lava Lite that is actionable and can be recreated.  Yes - I am saying this with over 18 years as a data analyst.  :-)

Yes - Lava Lite does have a number of Centuries flowing in a room with many many other lamps running.  This may very well be artificially boosting the temperature in the room these Centuries are running on.  What about Joe Consumer?

Joe Consumer has his Century sitting (and festering) in isolation.  What makes the environment your Century is running in different than Lava Lite's environment?

My advice...

  • Put a thermometer near where the Century is running in your home and record that temperature each time you collect data
  • Record the type of bulb you are using (stock that came with the lamp, frosted 40 watt appliance, 40 watt reflector or other)
  • Log the current status of the lamp at set intervals
    • Indicate the time you turned it on
    • Gather data and log it at regular intervals after that (say every half hour or hour)
      • What is the room temperature near the lamp
      • Describe the status of the wax (spiking, flowing, stagnating, etc.)
      • Take a pic if you feel it adds value to the analysis
  • Indicate how broken in the lamp is (if possible).  Is this the first run, does the lamp have 8/12/20 hours of runtime under its belt, etc.?
  • Consider a side by side comparison, but make it applicable.  I had thought of pulling out my NIB Camel die cut Aristocrat (nods approvingly like a smug bastard), but that may be an apples tom oranges comparison.  Maybe one of the new China 52 ouncers to the Heritage Grande.
    • With this comparison you would have two data streams which should really drive the point home.

Sorry jim, but thats just WAY too much of a hassle for a "premium" lamp that costs more than twice that of the rest, and the other line of lamps have NO problems like these. I dont believe we should having to set thermometers and start making data chart to report problems. Im more than willing to take pictures that CLEARLY show the problems. The empirical work is Lava Lite's and they should sell WORKING lamps

We are the only community of people willing to tinker to get these lamps to work, ANY other person wouldve returned the defective non working item and NEVER spent their dollars on Lava Lite again. They should be fixing this issue or testing their lamps for weeks before releasing them, now Susan is saying we need different bulbs? That just seems like an excuse to buy them some time, why didnt they include the appropriate bulb when the lamp was sold? Did they not know about this, did they not test the lamps? Probably not.

That is absolutely your right as a consumer Rodrigo and I don't fault you for that.  I also do sense there will be others on this site who feel vested enough to want to collaborate in a sense and help them make things right.  I am certainly one that will try to assist.

Rodrigo said:

Sorry jim, but thats just WAY too much of a hassle for a "premium" lamp that costs more than twice that of the rest, and the other line of lamps have NO problems like these. I dont believe we should having to set thermometers and start making data chart to report problems. Im more than willing to take pictures that CLEARLY show the problems. The empirical work is Lava Lite's and they should sell WORKING lamps

We are the only community of people willing to tinker to get these lamps to work, ANY other person wouldve returned the defective non working item and NEVER spent their dollars on Lava Lite again. They should be fixing this issue or testing their lamps for weeks before releasing them, now Susan is saying we need different bulbs? That just seems like an excuse to buy them some time, why didnt they include the appropriate bulb when the lamp was sold? Did they not know about this, did they not test the lamps? Probably not.

I agree with you, Jim.  This is a sound way to help a company that many of us love dearly.  I will gladly gather some data this evening.  Maybe I can borrow one of those aim and shoot thermometers from the lab to measure globe temp.  Ahh, science!

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/heritage-line-data-collectio...

Jim said:

For those experiencing issues with the Centuries I highly recommend an analytical approach to reporting the issue to Lava Lite.  I fully realize that it shouldn't be our job, but think about why you are here to begin with and why you bought lamps from the Heritage collection.  Like me, you love lava lamps.  In that regard, provide feedback to Lava Lite that is actionable and can be recreated.  Yes - I am saying this with over 18 years as a data analyst.  :-)

Yes - Lava Lite does have a number of Centuries flowing in a room with many many other lamps running.  This may very well be artificially boosting the temperature in the room these Centuries are running on.  What about Joe Consumer?

Joe Consumer has his Century sitting (and festering) in isolation.  What makes the environment your Century is running in different than Lava Lite's environment?

My advice...

  • Put a thermometer near where the Century is running in your home and record that temperature each time you collect data
  • Record the type of bulb you are using (stock that came with the lamp, frosted 40 watt appliance, 40 watt reflector or other)
  • Log the current status of the lamp at set intervals
    • Indicate the time you turned it on
    • Gather data and log it at regular intervals after that (say every half hour or hour)
      • What is the room temperature near the lamp
      • Describe the status of the wax (spiking, flowing, stagnating, etc.)
      • Take a pic if you feel it adds value to the analysis
  • Indicate how broken in the lamp is (if possible).  Is this the first run, does the lamp have 8/12/20 hours of runtime under its belt, etc.?
  • Consider a side by side comparison, but make it applicable.  I had thought of pulling out my NIB Camel die cut Aristocrat (nods approvingly like a smug bastard), but that may be an apples tom oranges comparison.  Maybe one of the new China 52 ouncers to the Heritage Grande.
    • With this comparison you would have two data streams which should really drive the point home.
Great idea, Jim. Those of us who bother coming to a lava site are the tinkering types. But I also agree with Rodrigo. We already went through all of this with the Colossus and I don't feel like tinkering with a brand new product is something we should feel we need to do. And as far as the Lava lab goes, I agree it must be hotter there than in our homes, but anyone with more than a few lamps knows these things put off a massive amount of heat and it will affect the flow of all lamps present. That reason alone is why I don't run my ridiculously huge array of lamps in the summer. If LL didn't already know that they should be ashamed. I have to assume they know this, which means they really don't have a clue or don't have the money or leadership to cure the problem. Whatever the case, it sounds like they are blowing a huge product line at the further expense of their reputation. I'll remain a Lava Loyal (and I'm eagerly awaiting my 2 heritage Grandes!) but I'm steering clear of the heritage Centuries. Very disappointing; I was so eager to get them. But My Colossus ordeal is still fresh in my mind and we shouldn't have to go through that.

Jim said:

That is absolutely your right as a consumer Rodrigo and I don't fault you for that.  I also do sense there will be others on this site who feel vested enough to want to collaborate in a sense and help them make things right.  I am certainly one that will try to assist.

Rodrigo said:

Sorry jim, but thats just WAY too much of a hassle for a "premium" lamp that costs more than twice that of the rest, and the other line of lamps have NO problems like these. I dont believe we should having to set thermometers and start making data chart to report problems. Im more than willing to take pictures that CLEARLY show the problems. The empirical work is Lava Lite's and they should sell WORKING lamps

We are the only community of people willing to tinker to get these lamps to work, ANY other person wouldve returned the defective non working item and NEVER spent their dollars on Lava Lite again. They should be fixing this issue or testing their lamps for weeks before releasing them, now Susan is saying we need different bulbs? That just seems like an excuse to buy them some time, why didnt they include the appropriate bulb when the lamp was sold? Did they not know about this, did they not test the lamps? Probably not.

They dont fit in these bases, i think libby gave it a try. I think that issue could be solved with a reflector bulb vs a regular a15 bulb, that way the heat gets beamed at the bottom of the globe, i still dont think that will solve all the problems because when i put my heritage on any other base, it gets good heat and melts completely, but all the wax just stays at the top.

Critter said:

Perhaps LL should consider adding a reflector like the Midnight Centuries and others have had. I am not saying this will work or is the solution but it is worth a shot and if it helps focus the heat upward and makes the lamp run then they could easily rectify the situation. Have any of you tried a century reflector? If they fit that is.

     I keep the temp at 75 degrees. I live in Florida ,so its still in the 80's here outside. The wax spiked after about 5 hours on but then just sank down a little and did nothing for the next 6-7 hours. I had actually had it on full blast for 11-12 hours, everything I read says they start flowing at around 4-5 hours. Even a brand new one shouldn't take over 12 hours to flow should it? Doesn't matter anymore because it won't turn back on now that I shut it off. They are sending me a new base.

Brad said:

what is the ambient temp in the room?  these take a bit longer to heat up due to the pinholes in the base.

Teal Tuesday said:

Well, I got my neon green grande last week but the bulb came broken,so I got a replacement bulb. I turned it on full power yesterday and after 9 hours of running it did nothing more than spike up but never flowed so I turned it off to try again today except now it doesnt turn on at  all. Thinking the bulb had blown, I tested it in another socket and it works fine. I also tested another working bulb in the grande base socket but it did not work either ,so now it seems the socket is disfunctional. Unfortunately I'm not electrically inclined so I'm not sure why it stopped working after I shut it off. The dimmer switch is completely turned up so I know its not that the dimmer accidently got turned down. 

Those heat rings do not fit in the Heritage Century base, Critter.  I tried it and wrote about it.  I do have my new y/r Century on that old Midnight Century base now, and at least it melts the wax and it does not stick, but the flow is still horrible.  Most of the wax still stays in the top, and it is not from overheating. 
 
Critter said:

Perhaps LL should consider adding a reflector like the Midnight Centuries and others have had. I am not saying this will work or is the solution but it is worth a shot and if it helps focus the heat upward and makes the lamp run then they could easily rectify the situation. Have any of you tried a century reflector? If they fit that is.

Thats the same thing i get on another base libby, it actually melts, but then just really stays at the top.

It's sitting here now, and has been for two days, without running it at all.   That one blob is hanging from the top and the rest of the hardened wax is in the bottom in a high dome.  I wrote about that last week too, never having seen a cooled lamp where the wax don't flatten out in the bottom.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service