Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kirk - it may all be lip service, but below is communication I received from Susan this morning. She had wanted to see my homegrown Neon Green Grande and I also took the opportunity to reiterate the issues with the Century.  I think you will see why I thought a more analytical approach would be more effective.  I sense she had received a lot of "this lamp isn't working right due to <insert personal theory here>".  My effort was to remove any subjectivity (i.e. our theories) and stick with raw objective facts.

The thing that strikes me as odd... how many of you folks have an iPhone?  How many keep buying the latest and greatest iPhone?  Will you ever buy an iPhone again? 

iPhone4 - they miss catching the antenna issue and then tell you its your fault, you are holding your phone wrong.  Or... you can buy a $30 bumper to overcome our shady QA.

iPhone5 - maps.  iPhone says we won't do a damn thing for you. You have to overcome our poor QA once again by seeking out a fix on your own.  Oh, but we ARE sorry.

Meanwhile, Apple is the darling of the global corporate world despite these missteps.

Hi James,

Ashour has been testing the 40 watt reflector bulb and it has been qualified and approved.

We have a shipment coming in and everyone who purchase a Century will be getting one. 
The flow start up time will be quicker and should alleviate what some people are seeing.

As you saw we had the Century lamps running and have been testing the dimmers and are not seeing the same issues.

But I do not discount what the customers are seeing, but I am getting so many conflicting thoughts.

It runs too hot,  sits too close to the bulb, does get hot enough...you just don’t know.

Love the hammered base look. And the orange is beautiful.

Thanks for sending me the pictures.

Green is till my favorite J

Best regards,

Susan Michaels

Customer Service

Kirk said:

I respectfully agree with you, Erin.

They obviously have a widespread problem with the Century.  With LL's resources, it should be very easy for them to duplicate the problem.  They have the expertise.  It's their product.  Acknowledge the problem, figure it out, and then after you figure it out, let your customer know what went wrong and what you are doing to correct it.  In the meantime, tell your customer your working on the problem, and you'll let them know when you have a solution.

Customer service 101.

Jim - I don't believe LL has asked for our assistance in troubleshooting the problem.  My sense is they aren't interested in solving the problem.  They are just moving inventory.

"IF? IF?"   Kirk,I  "know"  you're gonna kill that poor Grande when you go into "mad scientist mode."    But I'll take you up on that deal if you do!  ;-))   

Kirk said:

If it comes to that, you have a deal. :>)

Marley's Ghost said:

EEEEKKKKKK, Kirk, eyes closed tight!!!    I'll only forgive you for that if you save me enough blue glitter liquid to re-fill one of my "invisible glitter" as in "eaten up" Wizzards.   LOL    

Kirk said:

ROFLMAO!!!  "little mute lamps"...  Let's see how the flow is - if it's not good, (close your eyes, Libby) I'm opening her up!

Marley's Ghost said:

Kirk, I will cry bitter tears if you open up that blue glitter grande to use for refills.  I'll buy it from you as is!!!!  PLEASE don't do that!!!   LOL   Your little lamps have now gone "Mute."   ;-))

Kirk said:

THAT'S what I was hoping for, Jonas.  I have some empties that keep whispering softly, "fill me with glitter, fill me with glitter"

Jonas Clark-Elliott said:

Sorry, Ben, my Grande, now empty, is already going to someone. Glitter Grande flow could be called boring, but the contents work great in a small globe!

Thanks for posting Susan's email, Jim.  It sounds like Ashour has found a solution, and maybe the second shipment will be better.

Jim said:

Kirk - it may all be lip service, but below is communication I received from Susan this morning. She had wanted to see my homegrown Neon Green Grande and I also took the opportunity to reiterate the issues with the Century.  I think you will see why I thought a more analytical approach would be more effective.  I sense she had received a lot of "this lamp isn't working right due to <insert personal theory here>".  My effort was to remove any subjectivity (i.e. our theories) and stick with raw objective facts.

The thing that strikes me as odd... how many of you folks have an iPhone?  How many keep buying the latest and greatest iPhone?  Will you ever buy an iPhone again? 

iPhone4 - they miss catching the antenna issue and then tell you its your fault, you are holding your phone wrong.  Or... you can buy a $30 bumper to overcome our shady QA.

iPhone5 - maps.  iPhone says we won't do a damn thing for you. You have to overcome our poor QA once again by seeking out a fix on your own.  Oh, but we ARE sorry.

Meanwhile, Apple is the darling of the global corporate world despite these missteps.

Hi James,

Ashour has been testing the 40 watt reflector bulb and it has been qualified and approved.

We have a shipment coming in and everyone who purchase a Century will be getting one. 
The flow start up time will be quicker and should alleviate what some people are seeing.

As you saw we had the Century lamps running and have been testing the dimmers and are not seeing the same issues.

But I do not discount what the customers are seeing, but I am getting so many conflicting thoughts.

It runs too hot,  sits too close to the bulb, does get hot enough...you just don’t know.

Love the hammered base look. And the orange is beautiful.

Thanks for sending me the pictures.

Green is till my favorite J

Best regards,

Susan Michaels

Customer Service

Kirk said:

I respectfully agree with you, Erin.

They obviously have a widespread problem with the Century.  With LL's resources, it should be very easy for them to duplicate the problem.  They have the expertise.  It's their product.  Acknowledge the problem, figure it out, and then after you figure it out, let your customer know what went wrong and what you are doing to correct it.  In the meantime, tell your customer your working on the problem, and you'll let them know when you have a solution.

Customer service 101.

Jim - I don't believe LL has asked for our assistance in troubleshooting the problem.  My sense is they aren't interested in solving the problem.  They are just moving inventory.

It dose work well

lalalava said:

i have 2 vintage centuries with new LL globes on em and i have to use 45 watt reflectors cuz they have no heat rings. they work well and don't overheat.

Metallica Fluidium man Trevor said:anyone tried a 40watt reflector bulb on the century's? To make up for the missing heat ring

I've had them all (iPhone). And yes, there have been some hiccups along the way. Problem with your analogy is this: there have been one or two things "wrong" with a phone that has about 300+ features. A lava lamp kinda has one feature - the globe. If there's a problem with the flow, the whole experience is kinda down the tubes. 

Also, also, I never personally had the maps or the antenna issue. 

I do hope the new bulbs help. I am waiting on my return to see if it corrects the problem. I wish everyone luck. 

Jim said:

I also have had every iPhone, and never had issues

Erin said:

I've had them all (iPhone). And yes, there have been some hiccups along the way. Problem with your analogy is this: there have been one or two things "wrong" with a phone that has about 300+ features. A lava lamp kinda has one feature - the globe. If there's a problem with the flow, the whole experience is kinda down the tubes. 

Also, also, I never personally had the maps or the antenna issue. 

I do hope the new bulbs help. I am waiting on my return to see if it corrects the problem. I wish everyone luck. 

Jim said:

Yes, I did.  It does fully melt and flows somewhat better...but still a lot of wax stays at the top.  Not sure if its to hot or still too cold.  Last night I left it on all night, but dimmed down to about 75%, and woke up this morning to a hardened lava column (will post a pic shortly) so it still seems its too cold.  Tomorrow its going to be on full power all day w/ the reflector bulb.  

Metallica Fluidium man Trevor said:

Has anyone tried a 40watt reflector bulb on the century's? To make up for the missing heat ring
I'm using the only 40w reflector I have handy and put it next to all my lamps in the hottest corner.

All small model problems aside, I have this pink Grande running, and I'm floored by how well it runs. Yes, some wax stuck to the sides, and came right off within an hour. The flow is wonderful. Sometimes there's one big blob, while at other times there are fifteen blobs moving, but it's never just bubbles like most China lamps.

In my opinion, these Grandes are a model for what to do right. I really hope the smaller models get fixed up. At $100, I think the Grandes are a good buy. I'd love to see these stay in production, in several colors: perhaps pink, green, blue, purple in clear liquid, and things like red/yellow and white/blue. The latter could be a nod, almost, to the original Giant Lava. Before the actual Giants were released in the mid- to late-90s, prototypes were made in the early 90s, and these came in two colors: black white/blue, and brass red/yellow, I believe with pinholes. Those were, of course, never released to the public, but the prototypes were shown at the 25th Anniversary party in Chicago.

Please keep making these Grandes. I'm really impressed, as is every visitor who's seen it!

YES!  

This model and subsequent color combinations should be ramped up and stocked in Spencer's.  At $100, I think they'd sell.

You know the quality and flow are great, but what really catches my eye now as I watch my green neon after 40 hours -- the color is just outstanding.  Really beautiful.

Jonas Clark-Elliott said:

Please keep making these Grandes. I'm really impressed, as is every visitor who's seen it!

Grandes are a tougher sell for the typical Spencer's shopper who's there for vulgar coffee mugs and pot leaf posters. But yeah, the Grandes appear to be a home run for the most part and I'd love a brick & mortar option rather than rolling the dice with unknown stock on the internet and Mongo the FedEx guy who can't read "THIS END UP". I'm eagerly awaiting my 2 Grandes! No, Mongo, put the box right side up on my porch!!! (No offense to any hardworking FedEx employees!! Especially the guy that does my route!!!! Just kidding!)

I think Spencer's could sell these at $100, especially if they work as well as they do. And especially if you can run them for days... They sold $150 Fantasia fiber-optic lamps. Put a row of them in the window and it'll be a people magnet!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service