Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You didn't read down the thread far enough. The first pictures are of zinc springs. The pic I posted  are of stainless steel springs from Amazon.

lalalava said:

yeah but those are zinc so they will rust and eventually end up with the same issue. I wouldn't use it.

Goo Geek said:

Way back in 2011 there was a discussion regarding using stainless steel springs available from Amazon that could be used as coils.  I posted a picture of the package I purchased from Amazon. Maybe someone should try going this route in replacing the coils in their Grande that are producing flakes.

Link to SS coil discussion.

On the dimmer. Yes, occasionally still. I just turn it down to a light glow, the chunk drops/re-fuses to the remaining bottom wax, then return to high and it starts flowing quickly after. It's not doing this every time (anymore), I'm hoping it will grow out of it completely in time. If not, it's worth the hassle. I like the vivid colors too much. Just received the blue/white century, hoping for an easier break-in!

My replacement showed up on Saturday completely unexpectedly.

First cycle: beautiful flow, transluscent wax, very clear liquid and good glass.
Second cycle: flipped at beginning, beautiful flow, wax now opaque but bright pink and really nice flow.
Third cycle: flipped at beginning, warmed up then no flow, now on it's third cycle it's just shooting grapes and occasionally a bit more, but nothing like the previous two cycles.

Really frustrating, I don't understand. But oh well, I'm just gonna have to open this one up for a coil I guess...

I am soo sorry you got a dud !!!

Did it spike on the third cycle? My thoughts are it may have not heated up all the way. (I am pretty sure you are talking about a grande). Try leaving it on a while longer. Mine takes a good day before a good flow in the winter, but when it flows it never overheats.

Rodrigo said:

My replacement showed up on Saturday completely unexpectedly.

First cycle: beautiful flow, transluscent wax, very clear liquid and good glass.
Second cycle: flipped at beginning, beautiful flow, wax now opaque but bright pink and really nice flow.
Third cycle: flipped at beginning, warmed up then no flow, now on it's third cycle it's just shooting grapes and occasionally a bit more, but nothing like the previous two cycles.

Really frustrating, I don't understand. But oh well, I'm just gonna have to open this one up for a coil I guess...

Rodrigo, my replacements did exactly what you described. I am very frustrated with these lamps. I tried running my original neon grandes 24/7. Still they just shoot peas! These lamps are wonderful when they flow, but none of my 4 will. I really regret buying these! They weren't cheap!

I would say keep running them, as frustrating as it is, cause mine fixed itself completely unexpectedly!! I was so shocked, and all I did was run it. I have a discussion which I went into more detail, and also on the comments under my video of it I said what I did. It may or may not work for the pea shooter situation, but it's worth a shot I think. I explained what happened that made it flow on the video comment. And it is a v2, with one coil.

I will just keep trying, and if I don't get a result, I'll add a second coil. I don't mind working on older lamps, but a new lamp shouldn't need any work.

My green V2 started shooting peas on the second or third run. It did this for a few runs then it would seem to alternate every other run then on the last run, it altered between shooting peas and decent flow.
I think I've only seen my pink V2 shoot peas once and that was for just part of a run.

I'm so glad to read about another positive experience with the Century.  I followed the same pattern that you did.  I ordered the red/yellow, and was immediately impressed with it.  It really is a beautiful lamp, and the finishes make it appear to be of very high quality.  Mine shipped with the R16 bulb, so I didn't have some of the issues that I read about from October/November.  I did, however, use a 60W appliance bulb in short bursts in an effort to speed up the breaking, as my house is so cool.  Even with the R16, it can re-cool.  So, the 60W wasn't extreme in my case.  

One thing that hasn't worked itself out yet, though, are these white flakes in the wax.  Does yours still have them? Did it ever have them? LL said they'd send a replacement, if it didn't clear up, but I'm not read to call that in yet.

gunner said:

I might be alone here, but I love my Heritage Century lamp! It arrived frozen, had a super stubborn break-in with repeat sticking/decoiled lava, etc. But after a few days of assisted start-ups it's turned into a very nice lamp. The colors are vibrant and separated. Crystal clear. Nice flowy globs, not solid balls. The formula is definitely different than anything I've ever owned. Different flow style and the wax cools into a high hump at the bottom when off. When running, it looks impressive & high-end (especially when dimmed down a notch)...not like a $19.99 spencer. It's also nice to have a lava lamp in my favorite size that still looks good when I turn the lamp next to it off. Far fewer air bubbles in the bottle and the deflector ring in the base makes it look much more appealing in complete darkness. Nicely illuminated, highlighting the lava globs at the midpoint of the bottle...the current standard 52oz lamps spotlight the glass flaws more than the content of the bottle. The only lamps I've owned with deflector ringed bases are a blip (too small) and a grande (too big). 

I just wanted to throw out a positive for the Century model...I received it recently, so maybe improvements have been made? I've got another in blue/white coming soon. That might be a whole different nightmare story??

my replacement centuries run great (blue/white and red/yellow).  of note, they did not flow very good until around 100 hours of run time.  they definitely needed to be broken in.

Here's a pic of it cold. I do like how the lava freezes...kinda shows off the colors even when it's off. I haven't noticed any white flakes in the wax. That's not saying it doesn't have any, will check it out.

I also ordered a blue/white model. It's been perfect from the first start. None of the break-in issues of the red/yellow...but there's one thing I don't like. The reflector bulb has a longer neck so it protrudes enough to come in contact with the bottle...so it doesn't seat as nicely as the red/yellow does. I'll be swapping out with a shorter bulb, but not sure if it will perform as well. My favorite is absolutely the red/yellow! Might order another one of those.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service