Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite's New Website & The NEW Heritage Collection

http://www.lavalamp.com/

The new Heritage Collection will be available to buy 10/28

**Updated the Heritage Collection will be released today on LavaLite Website at 10am CST. Heres a sneak peak!

*** http://lavalamp.com/heritage-collection ***

Views: 43086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations on the new heritage grande, Loren!  Merry Christmas to you!

What a great Christmas present, Loren!!   Merry Christmas to you and your family!!   

Loren said:

I got a neon green heritage grande as an unexpected xmas gift! YAY! I'm so excited. :)

It hasn't been shipped yet, but it's ordered.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY!

As good as it gets Loren...love on ya's   :)

Marley's Ghost said:

What a great Christmas present, Loren!!   Merry Christmas to you and your family!!   

Loren said:

I got a neon green heritage grande as an unexpected xmas gift! YAY! I'm so excited. :)

Big Christmas hugs! I love you guys. :)

And I can't wait! I have been wanting a working giant/grande-sized lava for years now. I can't afford a giant, even if I could find one...this will have to do. I already love the color, I can tell you that much already. :)

I actually hope this is a 1-coil model. The 2 coilers are ok, but they tend to make kinda lopsided upward flow, and the 2 coils also tend to have sync issues (for lack of a better term) with each other. That wouldn't be as much of an issue with a grande globe, but with my old colossus globe, it was the kiss of death. I can pick a grande globe up when it's running, and fix the coils though.

I totally see the logic in the second coil...it's designed to have an output coil and an input coil, which keeps the lamp from getting "stuck" in a column from top to bottom for a long time. But the problem is that I like the undulating column, and I don't mind when it stays that way for a long time. So therefore, I'm actually hoping for a V2!

Wait...did I get that backwards? Which version has only 1 coil?

What kind of glue did you use, Joanne?

Joanne said:

glued it cuz i have had them 'sucked' inside before

Rodrigo said:

Aww :( how did you seal it? Just like it comes from factory? You should be able to take the stopper in and out an unlimited amount of times, unless you glued it in. I usually seal mine with the stopped and carefully tighten the metal old back on, that way it's removable

I really think that the single coil is affecting these lamps, the globe gets WAY hot, they should be flowing at these temps provided that the density of liquids and wax are the same as the v1.

I have the v1 and it has 2 coils.  :>)

Loren said:

And I can't wait! I have been wanting a working giant/grande-sized lava for years now. I can't afford a giant, even if I could find one...this will have to do. I already love the color, I can tell you that much already. :)

I actually hope this is a 1-coil model. The 2 coilers are ok, but they tend to make kinda lopsided upward flow, and the 2 coils also tend to have sync issues (for lack of a better term) with each other. That wouldn't be as much of an issue with a grande globe, but with my old colossus globe, it was the kiss of death. I can pick a grande globe up when it's running, and fix the coils though.

I totally see the logic in the second coil...it's designed to have an output coil and an input coil, which keeps the lamp from getting "stuck" in a column from top to bottom for a long time. But the problem is that I like the undulating column, and I don't mind when it stays that way for a long time. So therefore, I'm actually hoping for a V2!

Lah dee lah dee dah...

Youre correct, the V2 has a single coil. And reading what you wrote really makes me wanna add another coil to my pink one cuz it mostly only flows with one pillar up and down, compared to the v1 that has all kinds of flow and alternates much faster between them.

Loren said:

let us know what version you get and please 'show off " lol

Loren said:

Just wanted to post a quick update...I put the voltmeter on mine today and I get the full 120v.  Oddly enough, the dimmer's range only seems to be 5v, from "just clicked on" to full.  Voltage starts at 115v and goes to 120v (which is what I have at the wall) when full on.  The dimmer must regulate the current as well or something, since obviously when 1st clicked on there is no light, so there's no way its seeing 115v.  Unless when under load that drops right off.  Not really sure how I could get a reading under load, but in any event those ones that were only showing 98V at no load may very well have a problem contributing to the excessive long warm up times.

I also rigged up an "adapter" today to raise my bulb up about 1/2 inch...this knocked off over 2 hrs...warmed up to flowing from cold in just under 5.5 hrs now instead of 7.5-8hrs, will see how it is the next few cycles to see if it remains in the 5-6 hr warm up window or if today was just a fluke. 

I love the flow of this lamp! I'm going to have to get a pink one now, methinks...

I get column flow for a few minutes, then the whole thing explodes into a shower of smaller blobs...then they all come back together again. Amazing. I have a V2, and I'm glad. I'm oldschool about the single coil! I'm not sure how the less wax will compare, but if it keeps the whole plug from flipping all the time, then it gets my vote of approval also. I have only run this twice, but it spiked beautifully both times...no flippage! For people having this issue, it might be better to turn the dimmer down until it spikes, releasing some of that pressure, then turn it back up for full meltdown. Just an idea...

And I don't dare alter this lamp. Yes, it takes a long time to get going, but it's the middle of Winter. I'm sure when it's August, this baby will crank up in 4-5 hours. I don't want to fix it now, only to have it overheat and flip the wax constantly as soon as the weather gets warm again.

Here's my new favorite lamp...

Joanne said:

let us know what version you get and please 'show off " lol

Loren said:

Loren, you cannot turn the dimmer down on the V1.   It will NEVER get going, it's too cold blooded.  I have never used the dimmer on either of mine in full flow and neither have ever overheated.   They almost always do the "flip" but when the wax melts, the coils fall back to the bottom, so no problem, just longer wait time to flow.   Both my V1's flow beautifully---so far.

Your lamp is gorgeous!  Congratulations!!    Lib

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service