Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Mathmos Herritage Bottles Don't Work with a Polished Base!?

Hey guys,
I just tried to buy a turquoise astro replacement bottle with a polished silver stand and a polished silver cap on the Mathmos site. They emailed me back saying that the bottle is not suitable for the stand. What the heck? Is there a real difference in the heritage stand and the polished stand? I thought they were just different in terms of finishing Color no? Can someone clear this up for me? I am trying to cancel my order and just order a turquoise bottle with a black base; that is their heritage option. There is not an explanation as to why the polished base doesn't work with the turquoise, plum, or pink and clear bottle. Can anyone explain to me why they don't work with the polished silver base please?
Does anyone reading this have a Mathmos turquoise astro I could buy please?

Views: 844

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The new chrome Astro uses a 35w halogen lamp. The old astro uses a 40w halogen lamp. if you put a 40w halogen lamp in the heritage bases with a normal (non heritage) bottle it will flow correctly. The heritage bases take more heat than the regular bases, so they make the fluid different to compensate. Just use a hotter bulb.

Well when I require it and use a 40W spot bulb as Brad instructs in his write up, it we work correct? Wilk it flow correctly or will it need a dimmer? I have read that a 40 W bulb is too hot and now I have read it is too cold. Can you please clear this up for me?
Hi Mathmos Lover,
the wax and the Liquid in the Heritage bottles, are not the same like the wax and Liquid from the normal Astro bottles! If you use the heritage bottles on a silver base, they would overheat very soon!
Hello Christian,
Thank you for your response. Would I be able to run the herritage lamp on a retired 40w spot bulb or would I need a dimmer? Thank you for replying. I just want to be sure I don't screw it up when I get it. Once again, would it work with a 40W spot bulb that I use to require them or would i need a dimmer?

Christian said:
Hi Mathmos Lover,
the wax and the Liquid in the Heritage bottles, are not the same like the wax and Liquid from the normal Astro bottles! If you use the heritage bottles on a silver base, they would overheat very soon!
If you take a 40 Watt bulb in a silver Base toped with a heritage bottle, you need a dimmer!
Or you have to take a smaller Watt! Try a 30 Watt spot, like in a baby or a 25 Watt clear bulb!
It takes longer untill it flows, but then it runs very good!
Didn't Mathmos offer a clear/turquoise astro lamp though? Did they change the formula for the heritage ones or is it the same?

Christian said:
If you take a 40 Watt bulb in a silver Base toped with a heritage bottle, you need a dimmer!
Or you have to take a smaller Watt! Try a 30 Watt spot, like in a baby or a 25 Watt clear bulb!
It takes longer untill it flows, but then it runs very good!

The heritage globes will overheat on the new polished bases.
I have three heritage globes, blue-turquoise, orange, plum-black.
I run them on the older type bases using 25w bulbs.
However they take forever to get flowing on 25w and the blue and orange start of very grainy and are always full of bubbles. The plum is silky at all times.
So... I start them of on a base with a 40w bulb to full flow and when the wax is silky and bubble free (about 2hrs) I put them on to a 25w base and they flow as they should.
I don't own the newer type polished halogen base but am lucky enough to have the heritage black base which does take a long time to get the globes flowing.
I really need to get me a dimmer again !!!.... I've owned two in the past but they burn out very quickly !!!

Thank you for your reply man! I have a heritage on order. I am using forward2me for shipping to the states. I will wire it for the U.S. Using Brad's instructions again. I noticed my other lamps overheating just last night so I will have to get some dimmers or maybe a lower wattage bulb. I guess maybe the 40W bulb is too hot? But then again they were on for a long time so it was time to turn them off anyways. I guess I will try the heritage turquoise with a 40W bulb and see how it is. If it's too hot I will get a dimmer and maybe a lower wattage bulb. But then again it takes long to heat up then lol. I will keep you posted! Thanks for your reply!
I wish I could have bought a orange astro for Halloween. Too bad I was late to the lava lamp party. What other astro colors did Mathmos offer that are no longer available for purchase? Also, do you by chance know the original color combination that Mathmos offered? I am assuming it was violet/red? Lots of questions I know. Try to answer back, thanks!

Aladdin 2 Lava said:

The heritage globes will overheat on the new polished bases.
I have three heritage globes, blue-turquoise, orange, plum-black.
I run them on the older type bases using 25w bulbs.
However they take forever to get flowing on 25w and the blue and orange start of very grainy and are always full of bubbles. The plum is silky at all times.
So... I start them of on a base with a 40w bulb to full flow and when the wax is silky and bubble free (about 2hrs) I put them on to a 25w base and they flow as they should.
I don't own the newer type polished halogen base but am lucky enough to have the heritage black base which does take a long time to get the globes flowing.
I really need to get me a dimmer again !!!.... I've owned two in the past but they burn out very quickly !!!

Anytime :)

I missed the party too :(

Here’s a few past Mathmos and Crestworth combo’s off the top of my head…

Blue/white
Pink/white
Blue/red
Yellow/red
Blue/yellow… Crestworth?
Green/yellow… Crestworth
Green/orange…Crestworth
Green/red… Crestworth
Blue green/red…Crestworth
Green/green ?
Clear/yellow
Clear/green
Clear/blue
Clear/red
Clear/orange
Clear/white

As far as I am aware Mathmos only released 400 clear/purples for the limited edition Flock Astro’s.

That’s it … I’ve dried!!!

Anyone else want to chip in !

Wow I would absolutely love to see what some of those old ones look like. I would like get my hands in a clear/white one. Do you by chance know the original color combination that Mathmos offered? Was it the violet/ red combo or was it another? Also, what if you have a clear/ white one and you need a replacement? Do they make one special for you or are you SOL?
Wow how would I get a hold of a clear/ white lamp or say a clear and orange one? I would really like to get ahold of a clear/ white one.

Aladdin 2 Lava said:

Anytime :)

I missed the party too :(

Here’s a few past Mathmos and Crestworth combo’s off the top of my head…

Blue/white
Pink/white
Blue/red
Yellow/red
Blue/yellow… Crestworth?
Green/yellow… Crestworth
Green/orange…Crestworth
Green/red… Crestworth
Blue green/red…Crestworth
Green/green ?
Clear/yellow
Clear/green
Clear/blue
Clear/red
Clear/orange
Clear/white

As far as I am aware Mathmos only released 400 clear/purples for the limited edition Flock Astro’s.

That’s it … I’ve dried!!!

Anyone else want to chip in !

mathmos does offer to make custom bottles but its expensive and white does always become yellowish very quickly. I have very rarely seen a true white which lasted.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service