Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I had a little wine and paint night at my house last weekend when suddenly my midnight series lamp was dropped onto our hardwood floor. The top cap came loose with roughly 1” of water loss and the globe is now somewhat cloudy.

My question is, can it be topped off with water, without adding more surfactant? Alternatively would I be better off replacing the water and adding surfactant? If I went this route, I don’t have the dye needed so it would be clear with white goo as the lamp is blue/white. I’m assuming it will turn out off-white though?

I’m all for switching up the color as I have another in this color variant but if it’s easier to top it off and tighten the cap, I’m open to that as well. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. I really want to rejuvenate this lamp today as it’s on my to do list. (:

This is the lamp prior to the drop > https://vimeo.com/368885329

Following the drop > 

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a little too much wine and not enough paint night! LOL

Unfortunately a friend fell into it and yes, he had a bit too much wine... I'm putting my entire collection way out of reach to prevent this from occurring again.

Alternatively I'm going to start taking a deposit at the door so if they break it they buy it lol

Mr MaGoo said:

Sounds like a little too much wine and not enough paint night! LOL

I'm most likely going to top it off with distilled water and add some inkjet dye to the water. With it's current blue color, I can either go purple or green. I'm thinking about adding a drop or two of inkjet dye into the top-off water but I'm unsure about what the final color would end up when adding dye to it's current color.

Also what will I need to do to reseal the cap and is it likely that an inch of distilled water will unbalance it enough to create problems?

Sorry for all of the questions this is my first lamp resurrection, I'm more or less asking for opinions on (what you would do) for the lack of better words.

What iOnz said!
i0nz said:

I'm most likely going to top it off with distilled water and add some inkjet dye to the water. With it's current blue color, I can either go purple or green. I'm thinking about adding a drop or two of inkjet dye into the top-off water but I'm unsure about what the final color would end up when adding dye to it's current color.

Also what will I need to do to reseal the cap and is it likely that an inch of distilled water will unbalance it enough to create problems?

Sorry for all of the questions this is my first lamp resurrection, I'm more or less asking for opinions on (what you would do) for the lack of better words.

I've attempted to heat cycle the lamp to clear up the liquid and it seems to remain clouded. If I were to pour out the liquid through a 100 micron filter pad would this clear it up or create more issues?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service