Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I managed to pick up a Carlisle 300 for $10... with shipping it was closer to $30 but it still seemed like it could be a good deal. The ad said that there were scuffs and scratches, but I took the risk.

It showed up today, coincidentally my mini goo-kit finally showed up as well, but that is another story... once I took it all out of the box, I realized that the bottle was basically dirty. I ran some water over the outside and scraped off the tape goo with my fingernail. I also wiped off the outside of the base and the cord, then gently cleaned the inside with a damp paper towel. There were rust spots (still are) inside but they are superficial. The felt is still good on the bottom... this thing really amazes me.

I had already picked up a bulb (40W S11), but it is a clear bulb. I had hoped that I could find a frosted, but at the local hardware store I felt lucky to find the S11 at all! There was no bulb with it so I had to buy one.

After the thing ran for about 1.5 hours, it finally started flowing. I am surprised that the glass doesn't seem to be real hot. The bulb seems to be pushed up (to tell you the truth, I am afraid to bend the bulb holder any more for fear of breaking).

The lave is not flowing real fast... and there are bubbles in it... but it does seem to flow fairly well for a lamp that has been turned on for the first time in who knows how long...and this thing was made June 1975. I actually taped the original tags back into the bottom...they were so dry, they fell right off.

I will probably cycle this a couple time... and depending how my goo kitted midnight turns out (that is what I did while waiting for this to warm up)... I will probably goo kit this thing too. I love the old lamp... but the water has floaters... and it a bit low (has the blob hanging from the top)... and kinda hazy.

I love this lamp... so cool looking and definitely has this amazing build quality...

Views: 246

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For some reason, I cannot seem to get this to add more than one photo at a time... so here is the base...
Attachments:
...and the lamp just after I was done cleaning it...
Attachments:

Carlisles are one of my favorite lamps. I'd just keep running it - it's in pretty good shape! 

Here are my two: http://oozinggoo.ning.com/photo/1970s-carlisles-from-lava-lite-1?co... 

I am going to run it at least once more... but the fluid is kinda low... and the wax has some big bubbles.... and the liquid isn't so clear like your lamps! Your lamps are beautiful... great flow and so clear. I figure this would be a pig in a poke, but once I washed off the lamp and cap, I realized that the physical material is in great shape, especially for the price,

Your Carlisle is in really nice shape.  You got a great deal for $10!  I agree with Erin -- just keep running it.  

Yours looks like a faded green wax/blue liquid model.  The sun has faded it to a white/clear.  Not surprising, really, because this lamp is almost 40 years old!  But what is surprising to me is that so many of them still flow well.

Congratulations on your find!

Thanks!

I am amazed it flowed at all. I had it on for several hours and it seemed to go through phases of not flowing then flowing a little. The fluid level is definitely low by about half to 3/4 of an inch. The fluid is definitely not clear. I will run it a few more times and then make the decision. I like the vintage lamp but I also like clear fluid and smooth lava. I guess I am less particular about preserving the lava itself if there is something that can really make this live again. I tried rejuvenating my 1995/6 32 oz midnight but have up and started the goo kit last night.

I've had good luck getting fluid to clear simply by cycling it on and off 6 hours at a time over a few weeks.  My 1975 Century was never cloudy but has always flowed pretty well.  I bet yours will improve by cycling it a bit.  You could also top off the fluid by adding a bit of distilled water and recoloring the fluid with McKormick's food coloring to restore the color of the fluid at least.

That liquid level is okay. It's on the slightly low side of normal but, in my opinion, isn't missing any, really. Lovely lamp at a good price.

When I got my carlisle it had some haziness to it, it cleared after a short time, after a few runs, now its crystal clear, hopefully you have the same luck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service