Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I live in the United States and bought my Mathmos Lave Lamp from a re-seller on eBay, as Mathmos UK will not sell their products including replacement bulbs to anyone outside the UK. I need a replacement bulb and I can't find the person on eBay who sold me the lamp. I've searched eBay and I'm not finding the specific type of bulb I need. The description from the Mathmos UK site is: "35W - Astro Lava lam- - Screw fitting halogen bulb - Replacement 35W e14 SES screw fitting bulb for Astro lava lamps"

Views: 1092

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That wasn't my experience. I liked the way the original Mathmos bulb performed. I'd really like to buy some. 

The halogen flood bulb looks different because nearly all the light is illuminating the wax, whereas an incandescent bulb in reflector or golf ball style will “leak” light through the glass from below.  I believe this phenomena is called “diffraction.”

This does change the color very slightly, which is why you might prefer the look of the halogen bulbs.

Unfortunately there are no 120V halogen flood bulbs in the E14 SES socket.

I managed to buy six Sylvania Hi-Spot 50’s (230V, 40W, 25° spot angle) on Amazon from a seller who offered Amazon Prime Global Shipping (£6,99 for 3-day shipping!) but those are long gone.  Using these bulbs with the Mathmos requires a voltage transformer.  

A better long term option for Mathmos owners would be to have the lamp base re-wired to accept GU10 halogens, which are plentiful and cheap.  But I have no idea if it is feasible to do so.

Well they're in stock again: https://www.mathmos.com/35W-Astro-lava-lamp-Screw-fitting-halogen-b...

No problem ordering some for you and sending them on if you're happy to accept responsibility for any shipping/handling risk.

Just pm me.

Jim said:

That wasn't my experience. I liked the way the original Mathmos bulb performed. I'd really like to buy some. 

Thank you for all the suggestions. 

Brad said:

The halogen flood bulb looks different because nearly all the light is illuminating the wax, whereas an incandescent bulb in reflector or golf ball style will “leak” light through the glass from below.  I believe this phenomena is called “diffraction.”

This does change the color very slightly, which is why you might prefer the look of the halogen bulbs.

Unfortunately there are no 120V halogen flood bulbs in the E14 SES socket.

I managed to buy six Sylvania Hi-Spot 50’s (230V, 40W, 25° spot angle) on Amazon from a seller who offered Amazon Prime Global Shipping (£6,99 for 3-day shipping!) but those are long gone.  Using these bulbs with the Mathmos requires a voltage transformer.  

A better long term option for Mathmos owners would be to have the lamp base re-wired to accept GU10 halogens, which are plentiful and cheap.  But I have no idea if it is feasible to do so.

Mark, 

I'd be up for that. Can you send me your private email? I'm at jim_geers@yahoo.com

Jim. 

Mark said:

Well they're in stock again: https://www.mathmos.com/35W-Astro-lava-lamp-Screw-fitting-halogen-b...

No problem ordering some for you and sending them on if you're happy to accept responsibility for any shipping/handling risk.

Just pm me.

Jim said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service