Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

This is my neon yellow lamp I've had for a few months. The flow was very close to pre-China flow until now. Lately it's been acting lazy and spitting out small watery bubbles like this. It's exactly what my purple/yellow Colossus is doing! Any ideas?

Views: 1121

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

it stopped, as in it started flowing properly again.  happy friday!

They had one, but it got so hot that it would cause anything put on its heating plate to instantly combust so it never made it out of prototyping. Too dangerous for the average consumer. I guess the reason it works for Mathmos is because their wax doesn't have to be as hot to run.

Ben said:

WHEN will LL make a thermostatically controlled LED lamp?!?!?

My yellow neon is behaving exactly the same.  I put a 60w bulb in it -- it cured it.

So why didn't they reformulate the wax? Mathmos isn't exactly competition here; you'd think the two companies could share technology.

Autumn said:

They had one, but it got so hot that it would cause anything put on its heating plate to instantly combust so it never made it out of prototyping. Too dangerous for the average consumer. I guess the reason it works for Mathmos is because their wax doesn't have to be as hot to run.

Ben said:

Temperature could be affecting it

I have two globes that started to do this, I've warmed them up and hooked the coils out and dropped them in pan of boiling water and washing up liquid for a few minutes. The coils are back in the globes. I'm leaving them to cool down till the hundreds of wax particles caused when I foolishly shook the coils in the liquid to remove the wax still in them has settled.

Thanks for the tip Pete! I've been too lazy to fish my coils out of the globe... esp when it's a shitty Lava Lite from China! ;)

I just hope it works, this is the before picture ! I'm still waiting for the wax particles to settle !!!

Yeh, I feel your pain, its criminal really, don't you guys have a trading standards thingy in the US. I would go blim blim if I couldn't get a decent new lamp whenever I took the fancy.

Erin said:

Thanks for the tip Pete! I've been too lazy to fish my coils out of the globe... esp when it's a shitty Lava Lite from China! ;)

Luckily, we have tons of vintage Lava Lite stuff that is gorgeous. The new stuff is getting better, but it's not there yet. 

It's still getting better though just need to be patient
Mathmos made a modified formula for the smarts

Autumn said:

Ben said:

i agree.  i think it's much more enjoyable to find cool lamps on eBay (like your new giant) or other venues than it is to just go purchase one at the local spencer's.

aladdin - those look great.  thanks for posting your method for fixing the issue.  it's interesting just how large of a role the coil plays in how a lamp flows.

Erin said:

Luckily, we have tons of vintage Lava Lite stuff that is gorgeous. The new stuff is getting better, but it's not there yet. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service