Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Neons and other new China-made Lava Lites - wax stuck to globe around bottom

I was initially very excited about the new Neons and picked up an orange/black last week, too. After a few runs of the orange/black, I picked up the globe and noticed that a lot of the wax at the very bottom was stuck to the globe. 

I checked all my Neons and my purple Neon has the same problem, though not as bad. You can't see it when the lamp is running. but in the case of my orange/black, I think it affects the flow. 

Anyone else have this with their Neons or new(er) Lava Lites? Just when I thought things were improving (and they are, kinda), there's this setback.

What say you? 

I'm returning the orange/black as the sticking is quite bad, but keeping the purple. Do you think it will worsen over time? The only other time I've seen this happen is with GooKit lamps I've made. 

I'll get a pic in a little bit. 

Views: 552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, so you have it, too. The black/orange lamp had flow issues because of it, put the purple Neon is pretty normal overall.

What causes this Autumn, do you know? Is there is a fix?

Ian, thanks for the info. Good to know they're not putting them back out there for sale!

I don't know why it happens and I don't know of a fix. I'm very helpful huh?

Erin said:

Ah, so you have it, too. The black/orange lamp had flow issues because of it, put the purple Neon is pretty normal overall.

What causes this Autumn, do you know? Is there is a fix?

Ian, thanks for the info. Good to know they're not putting them back out there for sale!

No, not helpful, but I still like ya' heaps. :)

Im willing to bet that there less surf then normal in these, happens with the gookits too if you dont use enough. Maybe has something to do with the clearer water? I am pretty happy though that the cloudy bs stopped. They are heading in the right direction finally (only took 12 years) but they still need to come up with better lamp ideas. Autumn can you ask Dale if he would be open to participating in a Lava Lite ideas thread? I think if you want the public opinion, who better then a bunch of gooheads right? a lot of companies pay big money to get this type of research and he can get it for free right here :)

I think you're right Shawn. I also love the idea of a Lava Lite ideas thread!

I like the idea also, but I kinda think that they do an informal collecting of our opinion.  For years many OGers have been saying they wish LL would come out with bright colored globes in 52 oz with black bases.  Well, it's happening now.  New designs in 32 oz lamps, it's also happening.  I do think they would get better results if they asked directly and provided some feedback.

Dr. WHAT?! said:

Im willing to bet that there less surf then normal in these, happens with the gookits too if you dont use enough. Maybe has something to do with the clearer water? I am pretty happy though that the cloudy bs stopped. They are heading in the right direction finally (only took 12 years) but they still need to come up with better lamp ideas. Autumn can you ask Dale if he would be open to participating in a Lava Lite ideas thread? I think if you want the public opinion, who better then a bunch of gooheads right? a lot of companies pay big money to get this type of research and he can get it for free right here :)

That's good it's not sticking. I returned mine today. I guess I could have tried another one, but I have enough lamps for now. :)

I mailed a clear/watermelon Neon to Autumn last week (arrived early this week) and the globe clouded in shipping. She doesn't think it will recover. I still don't know what it is about shipping some of these newer lamps that causes the problem. On the flip side, I was mailed a 32oz. rainbow and it arrived crystal clear and works great. I'm perplexed. 

Critter said:

I wanted an Orange/Black 52oz and they were not available locally so I ordered one from Spencer's online last week (they had free shipping).  It came Monday and is not horrible, the glass has a few bubbles and the globe is mostly clear (faintly cloudy).  I noticed that the build date was 8/12 though and not one of the December bottles.  The flow is typical of the Chinese globes of late though and it is only so-so unless the lamp is dimmed some, even then it is not like the classic "snake flow" we all love.  I'll keep this one though.  Oh, and the wax on this one is not sticking to the bottle's bottom.

It was a hit and miss but thats another reason why we stopped selling. If anyone does not know how this happens just take a cold 52oz globe and just shake it really really hard for 15 minutes and you will see. If the globe is warm or cold just think of it this way........nothing good happens. But obiously its not impossible to get clear lamps. I get a lot of them and so does everyone here. Some globes can take it but there are some that just take a dump.

I've had a green neon for a month or so now; on every day on a timer.  There was a tiny bit of wax sticking when I got it but it's cleared up now.  Only problem I had was it got very lazy after the first couple weeks, so I put in a 60w bulb on a dimmer and now it's fine.  Great flow, as others have seen, but not great by vintage standards:  

Lamp # two of four now has stuck lava around the bottom - the watermelon Neon. The purple also has the issue. So far, the green and yellow do NOT have the wax sticking issue. 

Hi, Erin.  I bought one of those orange/black 52 oz. lamps last fall and it has the same problem, along with a really slow boring flow.  It also has root beer colored liquid rather than orange.  I got it through the mail and didn't return it because I thought it would get better.  It didn't.  Not too impressive.  But I do have one of those purple/clear 52 oz. neons that's a bit more interesting.  But again that same wax problem.  I wonder why it sticks to the bottom rather than the top.  Wax formula reacts badly to the heat of the 40 watt bulb?  They need to work on that.  Otherwise I'm moderately happy with the purple/clear.  I hope so much that they keep improving them.   

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service