Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

New 'collaboration lamps' to be unveiled at this year's London Design Festival... Dare we get excited ?

https://twitter.com/Mathmos/status/907306543179333638

https://twitter.com/Mathmos/status/908021246692077574

Views: 581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry if I'm being negative but after the wood and marble astros, I was getting excited about this. They said psychadelic, so I was expecting fluorescent swirly rainbow effect base and cap with a standard clear pink bottle or similar, but no. 

A standard mirrored finish base and cap is not fitting for a limited edition astro. It really is lazy. 

Yes I have just bought a pink yellow but god am I disappointed yes. And I think I have every right to be. A boring lamp will join the rest of my collection, but only because Im a collector. I cannot see anyone else remotely interested in buying these. 

For Gods sake Mathmos. Your lava lamps are about colour, vibrant gorgeous colour, so lose these boring bases and bring on new bases and caps with vibrant colours and designs. Youve proved you can do it with the editions and heritage range, so its time for some new ones and to ditch the old stagnated lines.

So many of your products have been discontinued lately and your range is looking tired, so come on get some design mojo and dress to impress, you know you can do it. 

Please for all us collectors sakes. Sorry rant over. Enjoy your lava lamps. 

Please let us know what the glass is like on the bottles of these and also what the flow is like.
Nee said:

Sorry if I'm being negative but after the wood and marble astros, I was getting excited about this. They said psychadelic, so I was expecting fluorescent swirly rainbow effect base and cap with a standard clear pink bottle or similar, but no. 

A standard mirrored finish base and cap is not fitting for a limited edition astro. It really is lazy. 

Yes I have just bought a pink yellow but god am I disappointed yes. And I think I have every right to be. A boring lamp will join the rest of my collection, but only because Im a collector. I cannot see anyone else remotely interested in buying these. 

For Gods sake Mathmos. Your lava lamps are about colour, vibrant gorgeous colour, so lose these boring bases and bring on new bases and caps with vibrant colours and designs. Youve proved you can do it with the editions and heritage range, so its time for some new ones and to ditch the old stagnated lines.

So many of your products have been discontinued lately and your range is looking tired, so come on get some design mojo and dress to impress, you know you can do it. 

Please for all us collectors sakes. Sorry rant over. Enjoy your lava lamps. 

Oh well, we dared to dream..

(on the plus side, pink/orange could be quite nice)

Not impressed to be honest, looks very blobby to me:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZDmCJBBceT/?taken-by=prettygreenltd

I will post a picture when I get it and power it up. I went for pink yellow because quite frankly I'm fed up with all the bits floating around in most of my turquoise or blue bottles that just wont dissipate and looks so damn ugly. Wont be getting the pink blue as I dont want yet another astro base hanging around. 

Yeah. The new colors are fun, but I'm not sure how excited I can be about a collaboration that results in little more than some prominent logo placement right on the top of the bottles.

I'd much rather have seen Mathmos etch a design in the style of the Pretty Green logo across the top of the globe (or maybe the base and cap) and leave the logo for some more subtle placement, maybe on the back of the base. As it stands, if I bought one of these, I feel like I'd just be paying to place a Pretty Green advertisement in my living room. (Nothing against anyone who does buy one.)

The weird thing is, it looks like they put way more effort into the box itself. That's nice, but I didn't think people bought lava lamps to display the box.

It really sucks that neither company really wants to think "outside the base" anymore. I mean, I get it. Bottom lines, knowing the target demographic, etc... though at this point, I'd settle for lava to go back to regular non painted globes and shrink-wrapped bases. This color max nonsense has definitely overstayed its welcome.

Thought they might at least have had a fully paisley-print patterned base, vase or something, rather than a tiny motif

Weak sauce, man.

I got an email about these from Mathmos. They have really nice colors, but a bit more than etching the bottle would be needed for me, that technique is more along the lines of what Lava Lite is doing these days. I personally have never really gone for lamps where the glass is labeled or printed on as it blocks the view of the flow. Still these don't have a lot of etching and it is at least at the top....so the effort is appreciated.

I am really hoping that Mathmos will do a limited run of the all glass Astro they showed off two years ago......amazing.

Mathmos have proven that they can make some stunning lamps. Look at the xmas giveaway from 2 xmases ago. I agree the paisley design on the bases would look really good. Mathmos is sure getting lazy. 

not seen pink and orange wax since the late 90s, used to get a funny yellowy glow towards the bottom of the bottle when it was on, bit like the pink glitter lamps, would be nice to see that colour again

lampfancy said:

Oh well, we dared to dream..

(on the plus side, pink/orange could be quite nice)

The official colour designation is pink yellow and pink blue. I should get mine either tomorrow wednesday so we will see. It will be nice to have a different colour combination for once as I was not impressed by the new blue pink baby bottles. The blue was extremely pale and showed no difference to the clear pink. I will post a picture when I unpack it. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2017   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service