Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Spencers now has their new batch of neon lamps. The first one I bought I returned before I even left the mall because it was cloudy, but the second one was only very slightly cloudy. The lamp does clear up when running fortunately and the flow is also very active. It may not be like the 90's lamps with lots of stretchy blobs, but I feel that with the amount of activity in these lamps it is forgivable. I plan on picking up a neon yellow and a blue/red tonight. I will post photos of them in the next few days.

Base and cap: 7/10
Glass            10/10
Clarity:            9/10
Flow:              8/10
Color:            10/10

Base and cap: I don't care for this style of base, so my rating is because of personal preferences.

Glass: Very few bubbles, no noticeable flaws.

Clarity: Very close to being crystal clear. I am actually not bothered by the slight cloudiness, but it is a flaw.

Flow: It is not American flow, but it is enjoyable to watch.

Color: I love the neon series colors.

Views: 3059

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd certainly be willing to pay for a good quality lamp using a heat plate plus LEDs. LEDs would also finally allow them to produce any color without worrying about the yellow tint of the bulb. (e.g. blue/white or clear/blue have a hard time staying blue and producing a truly intense, deep blue.)

I'm having the same results with my yellow neon, as well. Pretty disappointing!

Perfectly put. I tried using the Reveal light bulbs (blue) to take away the yellow color in my blue/white. Didn't work.

Alfred said:

I'd certainly be willing to pay for a good quality lamp using a heat plate plus LEDs. LEDs would also finally allow them to produce any color without worrying about the yellow tint of the bulb. (e.g. blue/white or clear/blue have a hard time staying blue and producing a truly intense, deep blue.)

I have been running my retarded yellow neon 10 hours a day EVERY DAY on a timer. 

It has definitely helped. 

Matt said:

I'm having the same results with my yellow neon, as well. Pretty disappointing!

Mine all still run great! A tip for shipping new lamps. run them before you ship. it mixes the wax, and normally the wax sticks to the bottom during shipping. Ive never had a new one go cloudy after doing this

I had a lamp shipped with that method and it arrived really cloudy. I have been cycling it 3 times a day since I got it and it is still slightly cloudy. I think I have had it over a month now.

Metallica man Trevor said:

Mine all still run great! A tip for shipping new lamps. run them before you ship. it mixes the wax, and normally the wax sticks to the bottom during shipping. Ive never had a new one go cloudy after doing this

I'm guessing that's the one I sent you. I did run it once or twice before shipping. 

The rainbow I got from Kirk was run once before shipping. It arrived clear and has stayed clear the whole time.

I wonder what it IS about shipping that ruins some lamps. 

Autumn said:

I had a lamp shipped with that method and it arrived really cloudy. I have been cycling it 3 times a day since I got it and it is still slightly cloudy. I think I have had it over a month now.

Crazy I have always had good luck this way. I guess its luck lol. also my yellow was one from before the recall and it cleared up some... So I dyed the liquid orange, which seems to hide the remaining haze.

Autumn said:

Finally got a yellow and a watermelon.  Initial run should be early evening tomorrow.  :D

Yay! I have been running mine today since 1pm. They aren't perfect, but they are an improvement from the past couple of years. Are they still at $25?

Yep, still $25.  I am very pleased with they way they run.  I have 90's lamps that don't flow this good and some that flow much better.  On a scale of 1 to 10 these are about an 8.  Lamps from a few years ago were lucky to make 6.

Erin said:

Yay! I have been running mine today since 1pm. They aren't perfect, but they are an improvement from the past couple of years. Are they still at $25?

I agree. I have yellow & green neons, plus a red/blue, and they all flow very well. I also recently got 20oz purple/pink, clear/black, and clear/white rainbow globe from target & Spencer's. I was pleasantly surprised to see tem all flow really well. My pink/clear clearview, though--that one sucked. Target got that one back. All of these were purchased within the last few months.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service