Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

New to collecting and refurbing; NEED HELP, PLEASE.

Me and my kids have recent started collecting lamps this last year and have acquired around 30.  I would like to refurbish some of my 1970s Starlights.  Can anyone tell me if I can remove the old water and salvage the original wax? I have seen the goo kits for sale and directions on using them, but once I remove the cap can it be put back on or does it require a new cap.  Any and all advice would help....Thank you so much.

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry I accidently posted to the wrong discussion forum.
Sorry I accidently posted to the wrong discussion forum.

Not necessarily

It is best to own a capper if you are deciding to redo lamps

trying to reuse old caps never seems to work and you do not get a good seal

they are affordable on ebay

I have been using corks.  You can pound them in and get a tight seal and leave 1/8 of an inch protruding, making it easy to grab and remove if needed.  

Claude J said:

Not necessarily

It is best to own a capper if you are deciding to redo lamps

trying to reuse old caps never seems to work and you do not get a good seal

they are affordable on ebay

not advisable

pressure can build up and POP

The other problem is that it feels like my plastic cap on top of the bottle cap doesn't want to come off.  It almost feels like it will break before coming off...should it just pull right up or twist off?  Thank u for all ur help.

send a pic of the bottle
Jared Meade said:

The other problem is that it feels like my plastic cap on top of the bottle cap doesn't want to come off.  It almost feels like it will break before coming off...should it just pull right up or twist off?  Thank u for all ur help.

sounds like you have a vintage screw cap bottle.

If so, use hot water and a cap snaffler to gently loosen the cap

A pic will help

Even if you seal them while they are hot?  Isn't the factory seal airtight?

Claude J said:

not advisable

pressure can build up and POP

The factory seal of a bottle cap actually crimps itself around the rim of the bottle.

A stopper does not

One of two things can happen with rubber or cork stoppers sealed hot or cold

1) It will leak air and neutralize pressure as it cools. when you reheat it, it turns itself into a rocket as it explodes the cap off of the lamp and sends it airborne along with the spray of hot goo

I had one hit a18ft ceiling, denting the drywall and cap. It also sprayed lava everywhere

ever try to get that stuff out of carpet?

2) as it cools, It will suck the cork or stopper into the bottle which will be impossible to get out.

If anyone is serious about rehabbing lamps, the small investment into a bottle capper is worth it.

Caps are literally a 12 cents a dozen 144 for $7.00

Get a capper  like this one made by Ferrari in Italy

you can pick up a new one for $35

DO NOT BUY THIS TYPE-IT DOES NOT FIT LAVA BOTTLES

this can happen to you if not properly sealed or you seal when hot and it leaks air

Thank you so much

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service