Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Anyone who knows me understands I have issues with glass flaws almost as much as bad goo flow or cloudiness. I know there are threads already here on this subject but would be interested to know who has had success in getting scratches and scuffs polished out or reduced in appearance and what was used. Susan sent me a few tips and claims whitening toothpaste works well. Anyone?

Views: 1024

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's what Susan sent:

In regards to the scuff and scratch marks on the outside of the one globe.

It depends on how deep the scratches are. If you can catch your fingernail on the scratch in the glass, it is probably too deep to remove.
Hairline or very light scratches can be removed or lightened using an abrasive compound. Start by using an automotive-polishing compound or a whitening-type toothpaste. Hand rub in a circular motion. It may take a while to make any progress.

There are also special glass-polishing compounds available from a glass company you can use, or you can use iron oxide (also called jeweler's rouge or polishing rouge) which is a very fine, dark red powder available at hobby shops or jewelry supply stores. Mix 1 ounce of iron oxide into a paste with 1 ounce glycerine and 1 ounce water. Put a small amount on a cloth and rub the scratches. Wash it off with clear water from time to time to check your progress. It may take awhile to see results. Be careful not to apply too much pressure or you could shatter the glass. If you use a glass-polishing compound, you can use a power buffer.

This requires a lot of pressure, and is recommended only for mirrors or glass that can be removed and laid flat and supported from underneath.

Be careful with this as you don’t want the glass to shatter.

Hi Deb- I haven't had scratch problems, but I do have a couple of globes that have a very faint but persistant haze on the outside.  It drives me nuts cuz I can't figure out what the problem is, nor can I remove it.  The best thing I've found so far to minimize the haze is oil of some sort, like oil-type furniture polish or silicone lubricant.  I jus rub a little on the hazy areas, and lightly wipe off the excess.  Definitely notice that the more I wipe, the more it shows...grrrr

You're right Jus..that's another issue that bugs me, That while film like haze near the base of the globe. Oiling them up sounds like a plan but would love to know how to get rid of that crap permanently. *taps fingers*

Jus said:

Hi Deb- I haven't had scratch problems, but I do have a couple of globes that have a very faint but persistant haze on the outside.  It drives me nuts cuz I can't figure out what the problem is, nor can I remove it.  The best thing I've found so far to minimize the haze is oil of some sort, like oil-type furniture polish or silicone lubricant.  I jus rub a little on the hazy areas, and lightly wipe off the excess.  Definitely notice that the more I wipe, the more it shows...grrrr

Susan said she used whitening toothpaste with pretty good success. I'm gonna start out with that.Tiff let me know how those funky lamps turn out for you. ;)

I'm just continuing Deb's discussion in which the "white film" problem is also mentioned, Innotic!   There are some good tips here, but no pics.

Sorry Mar, never got around to trying any of these remedies as of yet. I should get on it. I also have a sweet mellow yellow Jet that I need to rewire. Procrastination...

That white haze mentioned here bugs the crap out of me as well. Think I'm gonna try the whitening toothpaste first. I read the other day of another really great polishing technique. I'm gonna have to go back and reread it. I saved it here somewhere...

I procrastinated on these tips, Debs, when I should have tried that toothpaste trick at the very least.  I'll give it a try, that film is maddening and the more you try to rub it out, the more it smears.....Yuck!    There are also a few globes I have with those little pinhole type blemishes in them, which also drives me batty.   I don't think there's much hope for that problem though, as they look to be inside the glass. 

Regarding that annoying haze, I've had decent success with a cleaner called Invisible Glass.

Thanks, Rob!!   I'll see if I can find some of that "Invisible Glass"  if the toothpaste trick doesn't work.  I have the toothpaste already.  ;-)    I do have several globes with that haze and it annoys me to no end!

Mar, just make sure it's a whitening toothpaste. Needs that mild abrasive and thanks Rob. Invisible Glass eh? Will keep that tip in mind. :)

10-4, thanks, Debs, I just went and looked and it was the whitening kind.  I guess it was on sale at Wally World.  LOL  I swear they make so many "kinds" of toothpaste anymore that it takes me an hour to find the kind we use!  :)   If that don't work, we'll hunt down Rob's Invisible Glass!!

You mite not find it.....Its Invisible........;-)

Marley's Ghost said:

10-4, thanks, Debs, I just went and looked and it was the whitening kind.  I guess it was on sale at Wally World.  LOL  I swear they make so many "kinds" of toothpaste anymore that it takes me an hour to find the kind we use!  :)   If that don't work, we'll hunt down Rob's Invisible Glass!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service