Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Does anyone have any experience with using powder pigments?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Haggerty used powder pigments from Crayola.

The reason I ask, is that I've seen a few "interesting" colors and was wondering if it's worth the time to pursue further and how these powder transfer from the candlemaking industry to lava lamps applications.
Not so much interested in Mica due to separation issues.

Thinking out loud,..
Has anyone used a chemical to pre-mix them in order to enhance emulsification with the wax or have you just added it straight to the hot wax?
I believe I tried it years ago (?) but I seem to remember that it made the wax splotchy.
Then again,.. It might have been just the cheap brand i used.



Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use powder pigment. These need to be dissolved homogeneously in paraffin. Or, it should be added to the solvent that can dissolve the paraffin and dissolved thoroughly.
But the oil-soluble food dying did not dissolve in either paraffin or oil.

In there lies the question
what solvent will not change the specific gravity of the wax/lava??

Molten Paraffin itself. Or liquid paraffin, chlorinated paraffin.

Claude J said:

In there lies the question
what solvent will not change the specific gravity of the wax/lava??

I'll try heating paraffin again and adding powder dye, but as I recall from last time it just clumped up

Tevfik Dogruman said:

Molten Paraffin itself. Or liquid paraffin, chlorinated paraffin.

Claude J said:

In there lies the question
what solvent will not change the specific gravity of the wax/lava??

I think the trick is to dissolve it in a very small amount of paraffin so it becomes more like a paste and then add it to the wax.


thanks, I'll give it a try

Arne said:

I think the trick is to dissolve it in a very small amount of paraffin so it becomes more like a paste and then add it to the wax.

Some powder dye are insoluble due to their structure. It is dispersed in paraffin as particles. If its density is high, it collapses.
For this reason, powder dye soluble in paraffin should be used.

Claude J said:

I'll try heating paraffin again and adding powder dye, but as I recall from last time it just clumped up

Tevfik Dogruman said:

Molten Paraffin itself. Or liquid paraffin, chlorinated paraffin.

Claude J said:

In there lies the question
what solvent will not change the specific gravity of the wax/lava??

I tried titanium dioxide and it murked up the water, same with oil paint titanium. So far the best stuff that I've found is candle dye from the Amazon candle shop. If any of you find out what will not precipitate out over time....please enlighten :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2022   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service