Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

My Pretty Green 2nd edition blue/pink has a scum build up around the bottom that keeps getting worse and worse. I bought it brand new and it's only 4 or 5 months old. Obviously I don't want to open the bottle but if I did and were to clean it, would this just keep happening? Why is this happening!? It does run hot... I'm running it on a 30 watt currently but I need to get a 25 watt. Is it the heat?

Any opinions?

By the way, I've tried over and over to take pictures but it keeps saying MB is too large. If I can figure it out I'll add them.

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hard to see what it is, my first thought it could be wax dye, ive had that with a blue wax before, personally id contact mathmos see if they offer a replacement if its a fault, 

But I live in the US... Would that be an issue?

Johnny said:

Hard to see what it is, my first thought it could be wax dye, ive had that with a blue wax before, personally id contact mathmos see if they offer a replacement if its a fault, 

Looks like wax residue. Try heating it up close with a hairdryer and then slowly rotate the wax while its at the bottom and see if it "sticks" to the main wax blob. Sometimes works.

Oh okay! I'll try that! Thanks!

Kaia1165 said:

Looks like wax residue. Try heating it up close with a hairdryer and then slowly rotate the wax while its at the bottom and see if it "sticks" to the main wax blob. Sometimes works.

Place the heated bottle with molten wax on a flat surface and gently spin it round- the wax stuck on the glass (if it is wax) should attach to the wax then.

ash-hole! said:

Kaia1165 said:

oh the stain smears above the wax, could be where in transport the main wax has come loose and lifted / moved about during shipping, like kaia said give that a go, as for over heating guess thats down to the different voltage etc, most of mathmos bottles now blow bubbles up and not the nice long stringy shapes, when i refill orig bottles using mathmos new contents i tend to add small amount of distilled water and it slows the movement down and flows better

Thanks Johnny! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Johnny said:

oh the stain smears above the wax, could be where in transport the main wax has come loose and lifted / moved about during shipping, like kaia said give that a go, as for over heating guess thats down to the different voltage etc, most of mathmos bottles now blow bubbles up and not the nice long stringy shapes, when i refill orig bottles using mathmos new contents i tend to add small amount of distilled water and it slows the movement down and flows better

Should I have the main blob cold or already molten when I use the hairdyer? Sorry... I reread what you said and kinda got confused.

Kaia1165 said:

Place the heated bottle with molten wax on a flat surface and gently spin it round- the wax stuck on the glass (if it is wax) should attach to the wax then.

ash-hole! said:

Kaia1165 said:

melt the whole thing , let it run, then let it settle at the bottom but not harden. Then if the "ring" on the glass is above the level of the wax, heat it with a hairdryer and then just spin the bottle around on a flat surface and see if it adheres to it. has worked for me before.

Goo luck!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service