Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Looking into getting my first consort. I would like to replace both the original wax and fluid with the wax and fluid from a 90's 32oz lamp. Any problems I should know about? Any tips?

Views: 494

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I havet refilled a consort but i guess its the usual stuff really - make sure the consort globe is completely clean, empty the fluid from the 32oz and keep separate. Use a pipe and funnel to put the wax in so it doesn't touch the side of the consort globe and then when the wax is completely set then put the fluid back in.

Another tip is to add a bit of fluid into the empty consort globe, swirl that around and then add the wax - that helps the wax not sticking to the consort globe.

I have refilled several Consorts and Mediterranean’s and had good luck. Here is my procedure.
You can refill two consort bottles with the lava and fluid from a 32 oz globe. I refilled my Consort and Mediterranean from the same 32 oz globe. You can find the old 32 oz globes on EBay, Craig’s list, or at Thrift shops. I have also used Lava Louie supplies and they work very well. The key is to clean the consort bottles thoroughly. First remove the coil. I do this by cutting a clothes hanger and making a small hook on the end to pull the coil out of the bottle. I clean the coil with Dawn dish detergent and scrub it with a toothbrush. Rinse the coil thoroughly and let it dry on a paper towel. Next, I clean the bottles with dish soap and a bush that will fit inside the bottle. Then rinse them with distilled water. Next I fill them with rubbing alcohol and let it soak for 10 or 15 minutes. Empty the alcohol and rinse again with distilled water. Allow the bottle to dry. Insert the coil. I hold the coil with a paper towel as I push it back into the bottle. This way no oil gets on it from my fingers. Next put some of the fluid you are using into the bottle and swirl it around and dump it back out. Then pour the melted wax into the bottle. I use a small funnel and tape a clean drinking straw around the bottom of it. This keeps the wax from splashing on the sides of the bottle. Let the wax harden on the coil. Fill the bottle with the fluid. If the wax separates from the coil the first time you try it, let the lamp cool. Dump the fluid out and save it. Put the bottle with the wax and coil on the base and let the wax melt and run for about an hour. My theory is this helps bond the wax with the coil. Once the wax is cool again, fill the bottle and try again. Some of these steps might be overkill, but I have not had problems with lava sticking to the globe doing it this way. Good Luck!

Like Manix5 I have refilled a few consorts. He is spot on about the methods and he is right about the consorts being 16 oz. 3 out of 4 of my refills either get too hot or dont get hot enough, so my solution was to add more wax. There are only 2 bulbs you can try, 15 watts or 25 watts. If I had the money to spend I would modify the socket and try some low watt halogen bulbs. Your other option is to use a dimmer, but I dont like to fuss with dimmers. One of my refills runs perfect on a 25 watt bulb.

I have made a pretty good compilations of refills, swaps, and mixes here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service