Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Refurbished Lamp Success Stories - Mine: Lime Green/Yellow Century

Whether by Goo Kit or Refill with existing wax/liquid, I thought it might be fun and educational to share some of our refurbished lamp successes.

I had a 1974 green/blue Century with chunky wax that didn't respond to boiling.  I put up with it for awhile, and then finally decided to put it and me out of its misery.  I saved the liquid and the wax and cleaned up the globe.  I'll probably do some sort of hybrid, Jus-like experiment with the wax someday.  :>)

Several months back, OG member Dave P. sold me a 1975 Century with red wax that had emulsified into the yellow liquid.  I filtered the liquid with my newly purchased MSR Gravity AutoFlow, and it came out a clear, vintage yellow.  I also saved the red wax - it may be good.  It's possible someone just mistreated this Century globe by shaking it!

I then took two 32 oz lime green/clear globes from 96-97 and extracted the lime green wax.

Finally, I put most (but not all) of the lime green wax from the 32 oz globes and the filtered yellow liquid from Dave P.'s Century into my now clean 1974 Century. (Whew - say that fast!)  

I'm pleased with the results - a lime green/yellow Century!

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mostly done? I thought you... never mind. I wont say it anymore.

The lamp looks awesome. My experience with the older 60s and 70s lamps is about the same as yours. Once they are dead they usually stay dead. The globes are excellent for refills because the screw caps look better than the newer caps.

Erin said:

No kidding. I'm glad the hysterical days of buying on eBay are mostly done for me. I remember a Carlisle I wanted one went higher than I bid and I nearly cried. Took me a long time to learn that another one will almost always come around! 

Autumn - I agree with you on the vintage screw caps - refilled or goo kitted -- a vintage Century or Carlisle is a better looking lamp than anything that's being produced today.  But being the optimist, I'm hoping Lava Lite starts producing some better and more interesting lamps soon.  Too bad you lost your contact in Dale.  Have you thought about nurturing a new one at LL?  I think we are all wondering if and when the first lamps will be coming off the U.S. production line.

I have thought about it. It wont be the same like it was with Dale. Originally things started off as a big Q and A session between me and Dale, and then that turned into a bit of a friendship. The friendship is why things worked out so well between us and I was able to bring news, as well as give him my thoughts on his ideas. I honestly don't think the same thing will be possible with someone else, but I am willing to reach out to him. I do have his email so I guess I will see what I can do.

Kirk said:

Autumn - I agree with you on the vintage screw caps - refilled or goo kitted -- a vintage Century or Carlisle is a better looking lamp than anything that's being produced today.  But being the optimist, I'm hoping Lava Lite starts producing some better and more interesting lamps soon.  Too bad you lost your contact in Dale.  Have you thought about nurturing a new one at LL?  I think we are all wondering if and when the first lamps will be coming off the U.S. production line.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service