Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi,
has anybody a good advice, how to remove the glued plastic screw caps from the metall top cap of crestworth lamps?

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ive heard of a few ways, some use a hairdryer, ive always gone for a pan of boiling water with a plastic lid like a butter lid etc, submerge the top ( crestsworth part ) so the water covers it and boil for several minutes, take out ( wear gloves ) and screw it onto a old bottle not tight so there a little wiggle movement and wiggle it left and right. you'll have to heat it up numerous times and the glue starts to melt . Dont push a knife in down the sides it buggers the metal up and dents, also dont put the copper part straight onto a cooker hob again it damages the anodised finish.

If theres a easier way some one knows i hope they tell us

I have tried that with a hot air gun.
Boiling water too, it seems to be not a hot glue, more a normal glue.

What worked for one cap:
I filled the inside of the cap with Universal Thinner, and that worked very good, after I left it for a couple of hours.
On the other caps it did not work, I am trying now Acetone :-)


Johnny said:

Ive heard of a few ways, some use a hairdryer, ive always gone for a pan of boiling water with a plastic lid like a butter lid etc, submerge the top ( crestsworth part ) so the water covers it and boil for several minutes, take out ( wear gloves ) and screw it onto a old bottle not tight so there a little wiggle movement and wiggle it left and right. you'll have to heat it up numerous times and the glue starts to melt . Dont push a knife in down the sides it buggers the metal up and dents, also dont put the copper part straight onto a cooker hob again it damages the anodised finish.

If theres a easier way some one knows i hope they tell us

The nordic caps are the worse to get off, hope you manage it :-)

Ok now some results.
I tried on one cap to use a heat gun from the inside, which worked very good to get out the plastic,
but I think the chrome finish got some heat stress cracks. Dont know if this was before.
The other caps worked without heat gun after I used the acetone for a week every day.
So I would say using acetone for a long time would be the best way to not damage the parts, it just need much time.

thats a pain with the heat stress cracks, ive done that in the past hence the boiling water method, but will make a note of acetone method :-)

 Most hardware stores sell citrus cleaner in a spray can which dissolves most kinds of g

lue and glue residues from lables etc. its not as nasty as acetone which pretty much dissolves ones lung as good as it does with acrylic etc.. havent tried it on the cap glue yet since my interest canged a bit from uk lamps to uk amps but its worth a try.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2019   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service