Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hello all, first time here.

I have an old lamp that was my grandma's and I'm a little sentimental about it.  It must be early 70's minimum because I remember it as a child.  I'm sure you all can probably identify it and that might help what I'm trying to do here.  A few years ago the cap cracked, it got cloudy and didn't work good anymore.  I'm in the process of trying to restore it, using the lava formula I found here.  I was about to say goodbye to it because I could not find a replacement cap.  Then I realized I could 3D scan the old cap, use that to build it in CAD, and have a replacement 3D printed!  So the cap should be back from the printer soon and hopefully it fits and the re-lava goes well.  I want to share the file used for the 3D print, it took about 10 hours and some pretty expensive equipment/software to reverse engineer.  The cap only cost $13 to print once I made the file.  I do want to make sure my replacement fits before I upload it.  I will also try to give updates on my overall success with the restore.  Here is a picture of the lamp so maybe someone can identify it.  Hard to tell in picture but it is gold-ish in color, and the cap screws onto the glass threads with an o-ring seal.

Buy it here https://www.shapeways.com/product/4TJ6AR66D/lava-cap-for-70-s-quot-...

Views: 1694

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Na im not gonna return this lol.  I just dried the top and the old gasket, and added some rtv on the top like claude mentioned which is silicone i use for cars for gasket making..  And it stopped.

Its deff was slowely leaking.. i marked the bottle stone cold and over the past 2-3 weeks it slowely went down and down from that mark as i ran the lamp and cooled it daily..  I can see the cap itself got stained with liquid as well..  I have half a 32oz bottle of spare old 70s liquid since it deff isnt the same as modern lamps.. and refilled it a bit and did the silicone job and it doesnt seem to be evaporating this time.

The problem isnt the "part" its the 3D printing process..  3D printing leaves the surface bumpy..  The rough plastic is keeping it from sealing properly with a rubber gasket..   I work on cars as a hobby and AMC american motor company who made Jeeps from the 60s to 80s until chrysler bought them, they had this problem on their engines.   The cylinder heads where the valve springs are, they werent machines smooth.. they were bumpy just like the plastic on this cap is.  And because of that cork/rubber gaskets cause oil to leak past the valve covers..  The only way to fix it is machine the heads smooth.. or use silicone which gets in the bumps.

Its not a big deal man lol.   Its better and good someone like you made a cap for all us to have replacements.. But for me it didnt work with the original gasket.. and im fairly certain its due to the 3d printing process making the plastic rough

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2018   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service