Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

"Anything perishable, fragile, or any liquid?"

What do I answer?  "Yes, there's a liquid in the lava lamp's globe." What happens then? Are lava lamps allowed to ship via USPS?

Views: 6434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've only had one damaged package, and it was damaged by the USPS. Luckily, it was packed well, so despite the beating, the lamp was unharmed. 

Everyone has a horror story with one carrier. Kinda like PCs and cars - everyone has sworn off one brand or another. 

I've purchased so many lamps over the years I have horror stories with every carrier. 

UPS ground is good for lamps that are double boxed to stand up

I.E. 4 lamps in Lava world boxes in a large Lava world shipping box. 

USPS Priority is good for one or two lamps when you can fit the 12x12x8 boxes ontop of each other to build a taller box.

I've sent many icons like that.  Also large square boxes with Lamps and/or parts at quadrants.

Smaller boxes tend to get tossed by UPS ground.  In addition, if you put a claim in, You will need to provide detailed box bursting specs on the box and proof of worth. It's a hassle. There really is allot of paperwork involved in the claim for a costly lamp. I've been through it multiple times.

If the globe breaks, you will need to provide a chemical analysis MSDS sheet.  So pack your globes in plastic. if it is too close to the box wall, breaks and affects other packages there could be a liability involved. (I was told this by UPS). 

Overall double boxed, globe standing upright is the way to pack and ship these lamps. 

ive only just gotten into collecting lava lamps but ive been a long time collector/buyer/seller/trader of vintage glassware and have always used USPS and the only time anything has been dammaged was due to poor packing. pack it like its going through a war zone and it will survive. with that being said, i did come across a major problem today with the very first lamp ive bought on ebay. i live in CA and it seems my lamp is being delivered in GA today :( hopefully the seller can somehow get it back!

Wait... I work in a music store and we use pretty much all the carriers, and at least once or twice a month, we have to file a damage claim with ups. They are extremely careless!! You look inside the back of the truck and swear the guy went off roading on his lunch break, as packages are everywhere!! The pisser is that even with insurance,, best of luck to you to actually get a refund for e product. I've had a rare issue with Canada post, FedEx, and purolator, but nothing like ups!! But to each his own right. :-). My two cents has been added to the jar

>

Erin said:

I will politely have to disagree here. Never had a problem with UPS, either sending or receiving. 

Wile E. Coyote said:

Shy of a dead body, don't ship ANYTHING UPS!!! It will get destroyed!! They are brown for a reason!!! Complete shit!!!

I was refunded for a product. It was allot of work.  Point is, if it's a private sale, you need to prove an items worth with bill of sale, invoice, receipt, copy of payment. Pictures. 

Then you need to prove it was packed correctly. I.E. Box pictures, snapshot of the box data i.e. bursting specs. 

You items must be protected by 2 inches of material on all sides. 

For large expensive lava lamps you want to ship via UPS. I would suggest going to a UPS store with a "Pack and Ship" promise. Important to select that particular type of store. 

UPS tried to dispute the item was packed correctly, but they could not dispute it specifically because of that.

Wile E. Coyote said:

Wait... I work in a music store and we use pretty much all the carriers, and at least once or twice a month, we have to file a damage claim with ups. They are extremely careless!! You look inside the back of the truck and swear the guy went off roading on his lunch break, as packages are everywhere!! The pisser is that even with insurance,, best of luck to you to actually get a refund for e product. I've had a rare issue with Canada post, FedEx, and purolator, but nothing like ups!! But to each his own right. :-). My two cents has been added to the jar

>

Erin said:

I will politely have to disagree here. Never had a problem with UPS, either sending or receiving. 

Wile E. Coyote said:

Shy of a dead body, don't ship ANYTHING UPS!!! It will get destroyed!! They are brown for a reason!!! Complete shit!!!

In all fairness I should add insurance claims with USPS are almost as tedious as well.

You must select some form of delivery confirmation tracking.

Only put insurance amount of the item. USPS does NOT refund your shippping unless it's international. 

Keep all receipts. You will need to fill out forms and provide proof of transaction, invoice, receipt, payment. etc, etc. 
It could take up to 3 months before the insurance claim is finished.

UPS  took about 3 weeks 

I do not tell my post office what I am shipping, the one time I did they refused to ship it due to the liquid. I know all POs are different but I swear mine has all the rejects from the US system in one building. I never had a problem shipping lamps with them though, pack it right and it should make it ok.

I found this after a search. 

Liquids

Mailers must mark the outer container of a mailpiece containing liquid to indicate the nature of the contents. Mailers must package and mail liquids under the following conditions:

a.Use screw-on caps, soldering, clips, or similar means to close mailpiecescontaining liquids. Do not use only friction-top closures (push-down types).

b.Liquids in steel pails and drums with positive closures, such as locking rings orrecessed spouts under screw-cap closures, may be mailed without additional packaging.

c.Package glass and other breakable containers of liquid with a capacity of morethan 4 fluid ounces according to the following requirements:

1.Cushion the primary container with material sufficient to absorb all leakagein case of breakage.

2.Place the primary container inside another sealed, leakproof container(secondary container), such as a can or plastic bag.

3.Use an outer mailing container that is strong enough to protect thecontents.

d.As an alternative to 2.4c. above, mailers may use containers certified by the International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) that passed ISTA's Test Procedure 3A. Mailers must provide their ISTA 3A Package-Product Certification Notice at the time of mailing as verification that the mailpieces they are submitting passed the required performance test.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/600_tab.htm

Opel fluidium arrived safely from UPS, thanks Simon!  :)  Excellent packing!  Then the same day Fed Ex dropped off another lamp, Thanks Christy, again... excellent packing!

No problem - my pleasure!

Mr MaGoo said:

Opel fluidium arrived safely from UPS, thanks Simon!  :)  Excellent packing!  Then the same day Fed Ex dropped off another lamp, Thanks Christy, again... excellent packing!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service