Okay, So I got bored at 5 in the morning and decided to finally remove the cap on my Grande Lava Lite Black/Cloudy Lamp. I successfully got it off and thought anyone else who is afraid of attempting this should know what they are in for. It is not that difficult, it just takes patience. So here goes...
1. Find a small pocket knife that is really thin and very strong. I used a small Gerber pocket knife.
2. Take the globe out of the stand and set on top of a bed or in your lap, whichever is more comfortable.
3. Take the very tip of the knife, sharp end facing away, and gently nudge underneath the side of the cap. Keep doing this in millimeter increments. Make around 15 side by side.
4. Now that it is becoming loose, redo the same thing but you can make the nudge a little bigger and higher in the cap. Be careful.
5. Repeat this until you have peeled back the metal cap around half of the top.
6. Check gradually if you can pull the top off. It won't take a lot of force so be patient until you have reached a safe point. Be careful it is sharp.
7. Pull the cap off. Set aside.
8. There is a rubber seal underneath this. Pull this out. Set aside.
9. Begin doing whatever it is you wanted to do.
This does void the warranty so make your mind up before you do this. Hope this helps.