Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I need advice from the experts in this field. I have a 750ML (approx 24 ounces) glass crystal head. I want to make my very first custom lamp. I didn't put this in a specific group only because I wanted to get as much input on this as I can. I posted several pics to illistrate my questions. for starters I am not sure how to secure the top. The cork is wood topped with like a high quality foam to seal the glass. I am afraid this will melt.. Not sure on an alternative solution. I am iffy on the base, should I go standard, or go completely scratch on this whole thing. but right now my main concern is the seal on top. I am sure someone has done this allready, but I want to give it a go also. any input would be great.

As far as color still on the fence, I was thinking florescent green or blue with a black light in backround and either a blue bulb or red bulb underneath., to make the crystal glow and the wax emphasizing inside  the skull.

as for the base, I want to go black, but not sure on its form. should I go witht he can idea from other peeps or..

So what you all think of this project?

Views: 2565

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

awesome dude, thanks for the help, i will hold off

FYI. This is the bottle from the Crystal Skull Vodka line that Dan Akroyd touts. I have seen them at the liquor store but have never tried the vodka. You can buy the empty bottles on Ebay for less than $15. 

I second the opinion to go the glitter route. Buy a cheap glitter lamp and fill the skull. If you top it off and then seal it AFTER it fully heats up you will get a better seal.

ok sounds like a plan, I have a glitter lamp its purple, I might hold off and get a red glitter one for it.

Here are a few shots with glitter

NICE!! hey wait a second, that backround looks familiar, did you post lamps on ebay?? and how did u make that base, thats sharp dude
lol yeah I did, I also posted a thread about them but maybe you missed it. And the base was a stainless steel food container. I flipped it over and cut a hole in the bottom using a Dremel. A 52 oz. base fit perfectly inside it.
man i wish i knew there was a few i was interested in
Ok I have finally finalized my idea. I cant tell you till its done, I ordered the parts I need, and I PROMISE it to be awesome. My Son gave me the idea and i ran with it. it should be done in less than 2 weeks, final price tag is about 100 bucks for everything. stay tuned =)
Hey Don lets see your skull!

Did you ever finish that skull? Dr. what, if I would put just a little wax in the skull, lets say to just cover the bottom about half an inch, would it maybe make small goolets or would it all just mass together into a blob?

dr what, what did you make the bace out of ?

food storage container that I turned upside down and cut a hole in the bottom. A 52 oz. base fit perfectly in it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service