Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I need advice from the experts in this field. I have a 750ML (approx 24 ounces) glass crystal head. I want to make my very first custom lamp. I didn't put this in a specific group only because I wanted to get as much input on this as I can. I posted several pics to illistrate my questions. for starters I am not sure how to secure the top. The cork is wood topped with like a high quality foam to seal the glass. I am afraid this will melt.. Not sure on an alternative solution. I am iffy on the base, should I go standard, or go completely scratch on this whole thing. but right now my main concern is the seal on top. I am sure someone has done this allready, but I want to give it a go also. any input would be great.

As far as color still on the fence, I was thinking florescent green or blue with a black light in backround and either a blue bulb or red bulb underneath., to make the crystal glow and the wax emphasizing inside  the skull.

as for the base, I want to go black, but not sure on its form. should I go witht he can idea from other peeps or..

So what you all think of this project?

Views: 2216

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wow, that was a great idea!

Okay, so I guess I'm over three years late. Dr. WHAT?!, you guys have been talking about exactly what I'm trying to do!

That is, make a lava lamp out of the Crystal Head vodka bottle. I've got the 1.75L size and I've already gotten the contents (most of) two 32 oz lava lamps into it. I just got the two lamps running good, popped the caps and very gently poured them into the skull bottle (coaxed the spring-coils out with a coat-hanger). It seems to have worked okay (not getting cloudy) but I haven't actually heated it up again since that time.

What I have seen very little about is the re-capping process. Is it better to do it cold? Or do it while it is hot and in motion? I think if if I cap it when cold, positive pressure (probably significant) will develop. If I cap it hot, it will draw a vacuum as it cools. One person I found online said you cap it cool and "burp it" as it heats up the first time. I think that would leave me back in the vacuum scenario when it cools again.

Any thoughts on this? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm new at this!

Thanks,

Rob

They are capped cold at the factory.  I have recapped a couple and I capped them cold with no problems.

Thanks, Keith, I'm getting pretty close to that point.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2019   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service