Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I have a problem with my grande lamp. I changed the fluid because I wanted a different color. I replaced the fluid with pure distilled water plus surfactant - since that time the wax is completely transparent. I want to get it back to being opaque. I have no problem with the flow, it flows completely fine, so I know that the weight ratio of wax and fluid is correct. The transparent wax is the only problem. I’ve seen explanations for why wax turns transparent, and none of them apply to me - some say that it’s overheated, but that doesn’t apply to me because it’s transparent, even at half power on a dimmer. Plus none of my 14 inch lamps which have NOT been tinkered with, when they overheat, the wax does not turn transparent. Another source says that it’s because the wax is old and this happens with age - my lamp is not that old and all of my other lamps, which are bought around the same time, have not turned transparent. The wax became transparent as soon as I changed the fluid. Many people who report this problem. also have cloudy water, I don’t- even though it’s been there a while it’s completely clear. There must be some thing in the original fluid other than distilled water and surfactant, which causes the wax to be opaque. This lamp is two years old. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had the same problem?

Views: 532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dye it fluorescent blue
Not only will it make the wax opaque and whiter but it will glow blue in blacklight
https://lavalabcreations.com/products/wax-dyes?variant=39988118814777

It's the surf that changed the colour

there are hundreds of types of Surfactants

What did you use for Surfctant??

bob said:

It's the surf that changed the colour

I changed the fluid in one of my grandes and replaced it with distilled water and SLES and it did the same thing. Yellow wax turned clear and eventually burned up and got real crusty. I've replaced the wax in every one of my grandes because of this and I haven't had an issue since. The schylling formula just sucks and that's about it. Sometimes you can get lucky and add some surf to the schylling wax and it will improve the flow. Other times it's just crap. 

You can always get a quart of blended wax from us LavaLabCreations.com
MacRanium said:

I changed the fluid in one of my grandes and replaced it with distilled water and SLES and it did the same thing. Yellow wax turned clear and eventually burned up and got real crusty. I've replaced the wax in every one of my grandes because of this and I haven't had an issue since. The schylling formula just sucks and that's about it. Sometimes you can get lucky and add some surf to the schylling wax and it will improve the flow. Other times it's just crap. 

I've bought a few gallons from you at this point. All 4 of my grandes run your wax the schylling formula just doesn't come close.

Claude J said:

MacRanium said:

I know
Just a silly promotional blurb :) :)
Glad to hear you are happy with our product

We are now using long-neck quart containers so they are easier to handle

MacRanium said:

I've bought a few gallons from you at this point. All 4 of my grandes run your wax the schylling formula just doesn't come close.

Claude J said:

MacRanium said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service