Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I am in the process of experimenting with different waxes and additives, trying to find the perfect formulation to make my own goo for lava lamps.  

I know I could buy formulated goo kits, but I like melting wax, coloring it, and making them on my own.

The "usual" way of paraffin and brakleen works ok for me, but about 30% of my lamps do not last more than a few weeks, before the wax starts separating and/or sticking to the sides.  Other lamps I made in January are still flowing perfectly.  I make them all the same, but my mileage varies wildly.  Not sure why.    

I have found running them for only about 4-5 hours and then giving them an hour rest will increase the lifespan of homemade lamps exponentially, at least from what I have experienced.

I thought I would start a new thread so people can share their experiences with making their own goo and using various formulations.  I have ordered a bunch of different paraffin waxes with different melting points, microcrystalline waxes, several different chlorinated paraffins, tackifiers, polyboosts, and some other additives.

It may take a while, but I am going to start experimenting with different formulations and logging my results.  

Please share your own stories of making goo and what ingredients work best for you.

My lab is excited for the new stuff to arrive!

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recall reading that one of those is supposed to be for a wax with a lower temperature melting point

Vybar 260 is for waxes with a melting point below 130

Vybar 103 is for waxes with a melting point above 130

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2019   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service