Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Wall Mount Lamp.. How rare?? Sitting at $500.00

Hi all. I found this little treasure on EBay. The seller also has a red one available. How rare are these? Does anyone know why they're so expensive?? Any info is appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221196989850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_...

Views: 615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw this pair also and was willing to pay maybe $200 for each. $500 for one lava lamp is way out of my reach. sad cause these are awesome!

I would expect them to go closer to $1000/each.  They are uber rare and these ones look to be in stellar condition.  Sucks too as I could easily arrange local pickup for these gems.  If I was looking to spend that kind of money though, I would likely pony up for another Colossus.

I am watching them too but I have the same feeling regarding the cords hanging on the wall. I was really surprised when I saw how high the bids already were. I don't have a Colossus yet, but man I want one! For me that would be a much better investment as both you and Jim stated. I do look forward to seeing what these 2 wall mounts sell for though!

I bid $100, but knew I'd get smoked. They are uber rare. Last one I saw went for $800. I expect them both to reach at least that or higher. Lava prices on eBay have been INSANE lately, leaving most of us on the sidelines, watching with envy.

When were they made? Does anyone know?

I've noticed the high prices on lava lately.. I blame tax refunds :-)

I blame a handful of users who are in a pissing match to own all the cool lamps. ;)

These were made in the late 60s - early 70s, I believe. More info here: http://oozinggoo.ning.com/page/princess 

I'm debating... Where did you find yours?

I sent her an email, thanks for the info!

unless u get a colossus ;-)

Erin said:

I bid $100, but knew I'd get smoked. They are uber rare. Last one I saw went for $800. I expect them both to reach at least that or higher. Lava prices on eBay have been INSANE lately, leaving most of us on the sidelines, watching with envy.

Thies things are insainly rare, I am sure this will go for 900-1000 dollars, they easily fetch 700-800 even if damaged.

The thing is though although they are rare and everything I would personally go for a bigger and dare I say it better looking lamp. Getting this is more of a status of I have a really rare lamp then i have a less rare but BIG lamp.

I know what I would go for....

Background:

These are Lava Corp. "Empress" series 4100, produced from 1966 until maybe 1968 or 69. They were discontinued before the companion table lamp, which lasted until about 1970. I have seen four or five of these ever. The catalogs showed a stepped metal cap, but all previously-known examples had the later solid wood cap.

Mine, put together in parts (restored by Bryin with a wood cap globe)

One or two sold a while back with bad orange lava (and wood caps) which fetched over $1000, I think.

And these two, which use a metal cap I suspect predates wood, non-stepped and with a raised center on top, previously seen only on the Consort-like Regency/Royal 4200.

These are in jaw-droppingly great condition, with flowing lava - one in orange/yellow, the other in even rarer green/blue. I expect these to go upwards of $800. To whoever gets these, treat them like gold. These are crown jewels of a collection, the perfect lamps for a mid-century home; Empresses flanking the fireplace, Consorts on the end tables, Continentals on the dining table, Imperial in the hall, Mediterraneans in the den, black squiggles in the rumpus room, Decorators in the bedrooms.

Some people would find a Colossus more fun. Some prefer the vintage vibe - and they may not want these solely for their rarity. They're a really elegant period design, and the flow will be excellent.

I'll be surprised if this sticks at $500. Maybe double that?

Lovely wall mounted lamp.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service