Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

A Grande is supposed to be 250oz (water and lava combined?), so does anyone know how

much water is in one (by volume)?

The reason I ask is, I need to know how much surfactant to add to the water and I dont want

to have to pour and measure the old water to find out ;)

Also, do you put the whole quart of goo in the Grande? :\

Views: 263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nevermind :\

Okay, I measured it myself. Here is the answer:

There is exactly 5,285mL of water in a Grande, or:

5.58 quarts, or 11.17 pints, or 22.33 cups.

You get 1 qt of goo in a GooKit. 3 cups of goo per every 4 quarts of water.

There are 4 cups in a quart.

So for making a Grande, you just dump in the whole quart of goo.

For 5.58 quarts of water (distilled only), you use 56ml of surfactant (rounding off).

So, when you go to the store to buy your distilled water, buy 2 gallons and you will have enough left over

to rinse stuff off.

I used graduated lab glassware to measure, so its pretty accurate, and I believe all Grandes have the same amount.

For the heating coils, I am using 13mm wide solid stainless steel compression springs, 2 springs, one is 3 3/4'' wide,

and a smaller one, 2 1/2'' wide which fits inside the big one. The ends are joined together like doughnuts.

I join the ends together with SS wire 0.015'' wide and high grade tempered and rated for use in 900 degree temp.

You can buy this stuff at McMaster-Carr website.

Thanks for the information I needed to know this.
I was about .58 of a quart off
thanks again

Stanley Post said:

For 5.58 quarts of water (distilled only), you use 56ml of surfactant (rounding off).

So, when you go to the store to buy your distilled water, buy 2 gallons and you will have enough left over

to rinse stuff off.

I used graduated lab glassware to measure, so its pretty accurate, and I believe all Grandes have the same amount.

For the heating coils, I am using 13mm wide solid stainless steel compression springs, 2 springs, one is 3 3/4'' wide,

and a smaller one, 2 1/2'' wide which fits inside the big one. The ends are joined together like doughnuts.

I join the ends together with SS wire 0.015'' wide and high grade tempered and rated for use in 900 degree temp.

Just finished GooKitting a Grande last night, it's heating up now for burping before being sealed up and

put on display.

I did the fluorescent blue w/ some auqua blue and a pinch of normal blue (clear water).

When I get it sealed, I will try to post some pics, it's a very interesting shade. I wanted something not too bright,

and tranquilizing to look at since I am putting it in my bedroom.

LL's are great for helping to relax me to sleep, esp. greens and blues are very soothing.

I'm looking to do what you have done with your Grande LL.

The first thing I need is the web site you used to get the Coiles
Size and or Part Number.
Thanks for the help.

Gooboy said:

to rinse stuff off.

Tim,

Here ya go:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#order-history/=bhklnx

Hmmmm! didnt mean to post my whole order history!! LOL!! the part # is

9663K27, it the 1/2'' wide one.
The wire I used to connect the ends should be listed there also.

Timothy said:

I'm looking to do what you have done with your Grande LL.

The first thing I need is the web site you used to get the Coiles
Size and or Part Number.
Thanks for the help.

Gooboy said:

to rinse stuff off.

Tim, that link will not work w/o my password and stuff!!

In the search box at McMaster-Carr website, just enter the part number;

9663K27
Also, this stuff is very hard to cut!! I could not cut it with heavy duty wire cutters and ended up having to saw a
piece off with my Dremil.
It's super high quality and will never corrode (at least, not in a normal human lifetime!! :)
I think you will be happy with the improved flow you get from this spring as apposed to the coil LL puts in the
Grande's.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service