Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi ;)

Here's my problem, i finally got my childhood dream lava lite few days ago.

Got it on ebay a 16 lava lite, red and yellow.

The lamp came with a 60w bulb, so the first time i ran the lamp, almost one hour after she was overheating.

I put a 40 w bulb in it and now everything is fine.

The problem is that two or three hours after the lamp is on, the lava sticks to the bottom, and then does not stick to the coil, so there's no more flow, only a big bubble starring at the bottom.

Do you think there's is a problem ?

Do you think that if i run the lamp 8hours a day, she finally break in correctly ?

Here's the pictures to help you see in comparaison of my blue/white one. Thank in advance for your answers, and excuse my bad english, i'm french.

Views: 1329

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have another 16 lava lite blue and white, and she flows perfectly, i don't get why this one is working like that.

In the first picture, that lamp is just spiking, perfectly normal.   That last one has a stuck flow where it is partly off the coil.  Take the globe off the base and sit it on a hard surface.   Then put your hands on either side of globe (might be pretty hot),  and spin it gently but quickly one way, and then the other way.  Back and forth until you see the wax go back down onto the coil.  Then put it back on the base and it should take off.   Do it again, if it gets a stuck flow again.   I have one that does that sometimes, and that method works perfectly.   It had not been run in a while, but is now fine.  

BTW, your English is very good.  If I tried to speak French, you would pass out laughing.  LOL    Good luck!

Use Marley's technique for getting the lava back on the coil, it works quite well.  As for that blue and white you posted, it is running a bit hot since it has all of those tiny blobs in there.  Your home may be a bit warm causing these lamps to overheat in a minor way.  Every lamp acts a bit different so your blue and white may overheat in the form of tiny blobs and your yellow and red overheats into stuck flow.

Excellent advice Marley.  You have grown, padawan.

Marley's Ghost said:

In the first picture, that lamp is just spiking, perfectly normal.   That last one has a stuck flow where it is partly off the coil.  Take the globe off the base and sit it on a hard surface.   Then put your hands on either side of globe (might be pretty hot),  and spin it gently but quickly one way, and then the other way.  Back and forth until you see the wax go back down onto the coil.  Then put it back on the base and it should take off.   Do it again, if it gets a stuck flow again.   I have one that does that sometimes, and that method works perfectly.   It had not been run in a while, but is now fine.  

BTW, your English is very good.  If I tried to speak French, you would pass out laughing.  LOL    Good luck!

LOL, Keith, you all are very good teachers!   May the Force be with you!!!!   :-)

Also if it keeps getting stuck, you can open the globe and fish the coil out and clean it. But that's last resort :-)

Vader here........Join the dark side!!!!! 

Marley's Ghost said:

LOL, Keith, you all are very good teachers!   May the Force be with you!!!!   :-)

Gwen is absolutely right. I think over heating is an issue in both of those lamps. 

Gwen Williams said:Use Marley's technique for getting the lava back on the coil, it works quite well.  As for that blue and white you posted, it is running a bit hot since it has all of those tiny blobs in there.  Your home may be a bit warm causing these lamps to overheat in a minor way.  Every lamp acts a bit different so your blue and white may overheat in the form of tiny blobs and your yellow and red overheats into stuck flow.

Thank you for your advices guys, i just moved the globe to but the coil back in the lava, and she works great.

I made some research, it's a midnight ? isn't it ? from 1994 ! I wanted this lava lite since i'm 15, I'm now 25 ah ah ! it's liike a dream come true.

Attachments:

Hi Theraft, that's great news!   I have the "brother" to your Midnight, which is called a "Sliver Streak."   After a few hours, it starts to run a bit hot, which looks like yours is beginning to do with all the little blobs in the top, "if" they stay there and don't drop.  If that keeps happening, put it on a dimmer like Lala said.   I have mine on a dimmer and I just have to roll the temp down a little to make it flow in long stretchy columns and a few bigger blobs of wax.   Very nice lamps, and I like mine a lot too!!   Congrats on getting the lamp you wanted!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service