Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi everyone,

After six long years of searching and waiting, I FINALLY scored the Holy Grail of lava lamps - a purple liquid/red wax Colossus in perfect shape from a collector in the Twin Cities, complete with the glass table ring and functioning dimmer. It looks soooo beautiful all set up in my bedroom and when it is turned on, the lava flow is truly hypnotizing!

That said, I would love it if anyone out there knows if Colossus (or their earlier Humungo siblings) lamps were ever advertised by Lava Lite? Considering that people bought them when they were new (even though they were purchased in small quantities), I would think that Lava Lite must have issued some sort of advertisement about them instead of relying solely on word-of-mouth to their customers. If you happen to have any ads about this lamp, I would LOVE to see them and perhaps print one out and frame it on the wall next to the lamp.

Thanks so much, here is a photo of me with the gentle giant!

Views: 1893

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Colossus was featured in their catalogs, back when they still released them and online on their site - they had their own tab with some marketing material. A search of the photos here should pull up the catalog and potentially a few other marketing components. 

For some reason I would think these weight more than 110lbs

still to heavy for me to lift with back issues

Of course but for some reason I thought more along the lines of several hundred pounds.

1 Gallon of water weighs about 8.34 Lbs, approx 10 Gallons of content in a Collosus = 83.4 Lbs. plus glass weight, the rest doesn't weigh much at all.  

I wish I could tell you from personal experience :(

kero48 said:

For some reason I would think these weight more than 110lbs

Well that solves it, I didn't know how many gallons it took. To me looks like more than 10 gallons but I never saw one in person.

Yes 10ngallons to fill.

With goo @9.4

6 QUARTS OF GOO TOO

Claude J said:

Yes 10ngallons to fill.

With goo @9.4

Nice score - the liquid looks cloudy but you can always change it out.  I also agree with other owners in that the lamp feels like it weighs 200 pounds.  I worked out for years and 100 lbs. was easy to lift.  Not this lamp.  I only recommend buying it if you can handle the weight because it's fricken heavy and hard to move around.  It must be the shape that makes it harder to handle and lift.  Either way it's a monster.  After seeing the promo ad I want to change my Humongo to  purple liquid orange lava.  I'm tired of the red lava gold liquid. When it's on at night it's all red and from a distance it's hard to see the red lava flowing because the glow of the lamp is also red.  Awesome flow. 

It's not the shape of the globe that makes it feel extra heavy it is the moving liquid inside the globe ;)

I used to be able to grip my Colossus globe firmly at the top with both hands and lift with my wrists to move it.

Now, I have to give it a big bear hug, use my legs to lift, and hold on tightly!

I am not sure how I will be able to move it in a few more years. 

Im pretty much already at that stage and have to ask for help

MileHigh said:

It's not the shape of the globe that makes it feel extra heavy it is the moving liquid inside the globe ;)

I used to be able to grip my Colossus globe firmly at the top with both hands and lift with my wrists to move it.

Now, I have to give it a big bear hug, use my legs to lift, and hold on tightly!

I am not sure how I will be able to move it in a few more years. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service