Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I really like it, even if a bit pricey. What I don't like is the fact that the sides are covered, i preferred the lunar look. What do you think of it?

Views: 403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bit of a mixed bag for me - I like the design of the base, which I think has a pleasing 'organic' quality, but agree about the framing to the sides which I think ruins the effect a bit - I much prefer lamps to have a 360 view. I also find the overall design to have a slightly disconcerting 'top heavy' look, certainly compared to the sturdy/ planted look of the Lunar, makes me wonder a bit about stability.

Probably won't would be parting with £400+ for one, anyway

well for what i understand you can fix the base if stability is the problem. Sadly they don't produce lunars anymore...

I can't find many videos or reviews about it, anyone on this forum bought one and can tell me how it is?

I think the side framing really detracts from the overall look.  I've got the feeling that it was meant to protect the globe in case someone bumped into the lamp knocking it over.  The lamp stands a greater chance of not breaking.  The globes encapsulation does not allow for a clean view of the lava flow which is the whole idea of owning a lava lamp. That being said I would not purchase for my collection.  Not what I'm looking for but applaud Mathmos for continuing to astound when all we get in the USA is the same thing over and over again.  Anyone else here agree?

I'm not in the US but i can uderstand that being proposed the same thing over and over is really awful, especially if it is not of good quality.

The frame part ruins the whole lamp for me. Mathmos should Release lunars again or a lunar 2.0...

They should really produce more types of lamp, because i like every lamp that they produced, even iO, while not being the most beautiful lamp I have seen, is made to last and look good while at it.
The Lamp Caretaker said:

I think the side framing really detracts from the overall look.  I've got the feeling that it was meant to protect the globe in case someone bumped into the lamp knocking it over.  The lamp stands a greater chance of not breaking.  The globes encapsulation does not allow for a clean view of the lava flow which is the whole idea of owning a lava lamp. That being said I would not purchase for my collection.  Not what I'm looking for but applaud Mathmos for continuing to astound when all we get in the USA is the same thing over and over again.  Anyone else here agree?

Shame the iO wasn't designed more flexibly so that the side bars could be treated as optional, and omitted if the lamp didn't need to be fixed down, and perhaps chrome blanking caps for the screw holes in the base.

Where did your read this

Jezza said:

I really dont understand why Mathmos wont listen to their fanbase. The lunar was a hit so why dont they rerelease it? The telstar was discontinued in the early 00s, then redesigned and rereleased in a much better design, so why not do the same with the Lunar? So many people want one,  but no we get the iO. Poor design, daft screwing together and worst of all, for me, is the under testing which means it overheats far too quickly. I just wish they would take time to listen to what people actually want! 

Mathmos are talking about a prototype new lamp, one can only but wonder what that's going to be about. Let's hope this one is better thought out. 

Yes, post it here if you can

Jezza said:

They were supposed to be exhibiting at a German light show in May. Obviously this has been cancelled. And they said they were exhibiting a new prototype lamp. That's all I know. I think it was sent as one of their advertising emails. I will have a trawl through my deleted emails and see if I can find it. 

Also how is no one talking about this? I mean the creator of the lava lamp was going to announce  a new prototype this year and i haven't read anything about it on this forum?

The iO is ok, It's far from perfect, I currently own 1 but have had 2, Both First 100s, one was sent back right away due to poor finish and build. Sadly a lot of the iO's have the same issue, Coating damage, Scratches, Chips, and now some owners are complaining of blistering, Its a real shame as with some more refinement the lamp would have been great. Also not having a dimmer installed isn't ideal as they can overheat for sure! 

Is it worth £400? no, but to any collector... its nice to own one... 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service