Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Would anyone like to share what got them started on their lava lamp collection?

Views: 266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember when I was a kid seeing one at shopko. And wanted one so so bad. My mom said no,I wouldn't like it, it's not a toy. I begged and begged, finally getting it for x-mas. Ever since then I've loved them. Btw I have 78! take that mom, wouldn't like them phhhhhhhhh!

They have always intrigued me.  I had 2 growing up in the 70's (at different times, the first one got broke).  Bought one for my wife in 1990 had it on display for awhile, then put away for awhile, off and on.  Started actually collecting them around 1999 - 2000.  I had probably 15 or so in 2006  then got rid of most of them when we move from California to Oklahoma.  I think I kept 6 of them.  Since then I have been collecting more, with different styles and sizes.  I have over 30 now (I haven't counted in a while) 14 are on display in a couple of different rooms.  They are soothing, interesting, hypnotic, etc.

Also, this:

The ever-changing interplay of motion and color.  The steady, patient rise to the top, a brief rest then back down for a rest at the bottom.  Light and glowing underneath with a shadow at the top, shading from dark to light, and light to dark.  Blobs meeting and separating, joining and departing, sharing the warmth of the moment with each other.  The ebb and flow of life displayed in a myriad of colors, shapes and sizes.

 

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/profiles/blogs/why-i-like-lava-lamps

Keith Clark



Whoa!! Your getting all my lamps turned on.....hahaha Keith said:

They have always intrigued me.  I had 2 growing up in the 70's (at different times, the first one got broke).  Bought one for my wife in 1990 had it on display for awhile, then put away for awhile, off and on.  Started actually collecting them around 1999 - 2000.  I had probably 15 or so in 2006  then got rid of most of them when we move from California to Oklahoma.  I think I kept 6 of them.  Since then I have been collecting more, with different styles and sizes.  I have over 30 now (I haven't counted in a while) 14 are on display in a couple of different rooms.  They are soothing, interesting, hypnotic, etc.

Also, this:

The ever-changing interplay of motion and color.  The steady, patient rise to the top, a brief rest then back down for a rest at the bottom.  Light and glowing underneath with a shadow at the top, shading from dark to light, and light to dark.  Blobs meeting and separating, joining and departing, sharing the warmth of the moment with each other.  The ebb and flow of life displayed in a myriad of colors, shapes and sizes.

 

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/profiles/blogs/why-i-like-lava-lamps

Keith Clark

I received my first lamp in 1995 and have been hooked ever since.

Wow! 78!!!  Is that considered a large collection, or typical?  We only have three...     :)    


 
Metallica man said:



Whoa!! Your getting all my lamps turned on.....hahaha Keith said:

They have always intrigued me.  I had 2 growing up in the 70's (at different times, the first one got broke).  Bought one for my wife in 1990 had it on display for awhile, then put away for awhile, off and on.  Started actually collecting them around 1999 - 2000.  I had probably 15 or so in 2006  then got rid of most of them when we move from California to Oklahoma.  I think I kept 6 of them.  Since then I have been collecting more, with different styles and sizes.  I have over 30 now (I haven't counted in a while) 14 are on display in a couple of different rooms.  They are soothing, interesting, hypnotic, etc.

Also, this:

The ever-changing interplay of motion and color.  The steady, patient rise to the top, a brief rest then back down for a rest at the bottom.  Light and glowing underneath with a shadow at the top, shading from dark to light, and light to dark.  Blobs meeting and separating, joining and departing, sharing the warmth of the moment with each other.  The ebb and flow of life displayed in a myriad of colors, shapes and sizes.

 

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/profiles/blogs/why-i-like-lava-lamps

Keith Clark



Lol depends. There are some on this site with over 200. But 78 is big enough there is lava lamp globes and such all over the house lol Elizabeth Berube said:

Wow! 78!!!  Is that considered a large collection, or typical?  We only have three...     :)    

This one is very simple for me.  I was in an antique store with my wife when she tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Isn't that a lava lamp?"  It was a Saturna and I had no idea that they made lava lamps that looked anything like that.  That lamp came home with me that day and the rest is history.  :-)

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/photo/swirls-and-saturna

beautiful little piece of poetry keith! :)

 

 
Keith said:

They have always intrigued me.  I had 2 growing up in the 70's (at different times, the first one got broke).  Bought one for my wife in 1990 had it on display for awhile, then put away for awhile, off and on.  Started actually collecting them around 1999 - 2000.  I had probably 15 or so in 2006  then got rid of most of them when we move from California to Oklahoma.  I think I kept 6 of them.  Since then I have been collecting more, with different styles and sizes.  I have over 30 now (I haven't counted in a while) 14 are on display in a couple of different rooms.  They are soothing, interesting, hypnotic, etc.

Also, this:

The ever-changing interplay of motion and color.  The steady, patient rise to the top, a brief rest then back down for a rest at the bottom.  Light and glowing underneath with a shadow at the top, shading from dark to light, and light to dark.  Blobs meeting and separating, joining and departing, sharing the warmth of the moment with each other.  The ebb and flow of life displayed in a myriad of colors, shapes and sizes.

 

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/profiles/blogs/why-i-like-lava-lamps

Keith Clark

i remember having a lamp back in the 90s and had a few china lamps from kmart but one day i was on ebay looking for something else and up popped a listing for a gorgeous coach lantern. i thought it was the coolest thing ever but it was so expensive that i didnt buy it but i had to have one so the search was on! i finally found at an antique store and ive been totally addicted to lava ever since.

I got into lava by my interest in unusual and generally weird and funky items and also disco type lights - it was in the 90's i think so those things were all the rage.

I saw a lava lamp in a home / DIY shop and I asked for one for my birthday and got it, my favourite colour at the time was green so I got a green / green it was a china lamp but loved it. From then on i have been into lava and lighting in some way and it has just grown from lava lamps to big lights and lighting equipment and now back to lava lamps.

Thank you ;)

lava luva ~ Tiffany said:

beautiful little piece of poetry keith! :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2019   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service