Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I recently found an old Wizard at Goodwill for $5.00. (Yay!) in general it is in pretty decent shape, and aside from running too hot where the glitter stops cycling (which I will put a lower watt bulb in to see if it helps) it is pretty neat. The base and cap are spotless.
I was curious as to:
1. What can I top off the fluid with? It is not terribly low but some has leaked out. Judging by the rust on one side of the cap and moisture trapped on the rubber plug it what stored laying down for quite awhile. There is a fair amount of glitter residue stuck around what was the original water line that has essentially left the shape and shimmer stuck to the glass but not the flake itself.
2. The glitter has faded to be almost completely translucent and has lost a lot of the shimmer effect. I can see a very small amount of red and green flake which makes me think it was a multi when it was new. It still does it's thing but it is a bit lackluster. :( What type of glitter is preferable to match this? Anything specific brands anyone has had luck with?

If I could I would just order some of Kirk's Formula! But I also like to play chemist so I would love to learn a new thing and get this beautiful again. I have poured over all the glitter posts and it is overwhelming. I have thought about just gooing it but I would like to keep it glitter. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Views: 286

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not sure if all 3 of the photos uploaded. This one i shall try to load shows it better.
Attachments:

Mmm... come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab... Brad !

from what I know about glitter lamps is you can't top them off. The formula is very specific and just a little bit of water can mess it up.

I will admit the multi colored glitters are a bit boring and nowhere near as sparkly as the regular silvers. Less of these were made for obvious reasons and harder to find. As for topping off you really can't unless u have another of similar year, color etc. I just opened mine and dropped a few clear glass stones in it to bring the level up. Seal well as those old glitter formulas are super toxic. If you find it too boring I would consider Kirk formula :)

So in other words it is a secret?
We don't know exactly, the fast glitters are solvent based new ones water
TBH I would send it to Kirk and let him work his magic on it

Let's not overlook Loren here.  Loren offers phenomenal glitters.

I sent Loren a message but haven't heard back. Critter advised me to ask him. I have some other empty vessels that I may try to glitterize just for something to do, but being this one is not a Chinese wonder at least if I can replace some of the invisible glitter I would be happy. :)

Sorry guys, yea Loren does do fantastic glitters - we are spoilt for choice for glitter options hear on goo. 

I think your best option would be for a complete refill / redo - it looks as though the fluid has eaten / dissolved some of the glitter - making it loose its color. If it were a lava lamp then adding more water or wax would do but as we don't know much about the formula of USA glitter lamps its not as easy to just add water or another solvent etc.

Jim said:

Let's not overlook Loren here.  Loren offers phenomenal glitters.

I've been shopping glitter wizards, haven't found a good bargain yet.  But it is good to know to avoid those that may be a little low on fluid, that was something I was wondering about.

Lava glitter globes are going to look low when cold.  There is about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so gap between the fluid level and the cap when cold but once heated up the level rises so no gap shows.

Rich C said:

I've been shopping glitter wizards, haven't found a good bargain yet.  But it is good to know to avoid those that may be a little low on fluid, that was something I was wondering about.

Sure, but I've seen some with a lot more gap than that.

Keith said:

Lava glitter globes are going to look low when cold.  There is about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so gap between the fluid level and the cap when cold but once heated up the level rises so no gap shows.

Rich C said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service