Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Anyone know how to make a newer lamp more active like the 90s lamps?

Hi,

I have a 52 oz globe from Spencer's, and I noticed that it really only tends to flow nicely when I put it on a 50 wattage bulb and it flows beautifully just like a 90s USA lamp. The lamp uses a 40 watt bulb, but when I actually use a 40 watt bulb, the wax melts but it just sits at the bottom in one giant blob.

What can I add to the fluids to make the lava flow and be more active while on a 40 watt?

I was reading I could add some salt, but does anyone know a trick or anything I can do to make it flow actively?

Views: 431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kyle am sorta in the same boat same size globe 99 lava , about the higher watt bulb , where did u find 1 , and I was told to try a 60w but am nervous it would break the electric power part , is that why you don’t wana use the 50 w .

I have dead lava on a  late 90s 32 oz I took the water out , let the  the lamp run so the wax melts together and drys solid re add the water , it now flows with some bubbles but it didn’t work at all b4 . When I say water I mean the original contents of the liquid .  Maybe you can post a pic or video .  

I wanted to add my lava seeems to just column then do a little action then re column, how does your act . 

Yea, I am afraid of explosion or fire because it says to use a 40 watt. I think you can add epsom salt and dish detergent to get it moving but I just want to be sure before opening my lamp.

bob y said:

Hi Kyle am sorta in the same boat same size globe 99 lava , about the higher watt bulb , where did u find 1 , and I was told to try a 60w but am nervous it would break the electric power part , is that why you don’t wana use the 50 w .

I have dead lava on a  late 90s 32 oz I took the water out , let the  the lamp run so the wax melts together and drys solid re add the water , it now flows with some bubbles but it didn’t work at all b4 . When I say water I mean the original contents of the liquid .  Maybe you can post a pic or video .  

I wanted to add my lava seeems to just column then do a little action then re column, how does your act . 

Don’t add that stuff until you know for sure. The 90s lamp have all kinds of chemicals in them , salt could ruin it . I have some lamps that r 90s that run so so but am also sure how to improve them without killing them 

My lamp is actually a new lamp from Spencer's. I want it to mimic the flow of a 90s lamp. Right now it's operating on a 50 watt and flows beautifully, but I want it to have that same flow when it's running on a 40 watt.

bob y said:

Don’t add that stuff until you know for sure. The 90s lamp have all kinds of chemicals in them , salt could ruin it . I have some lamps that r 90s that run so so but am also sure how to improve them without killing them 

Ah ok . In that case , why not maybe get a used cheap o China lamp n test on that .  I have also heard salt and or dish shop can help on China made , never tried though , also  I think it’s called break a line , it’s break cleaner ,  that might work . 

That's actually clever, will try that before I hack into this lamp. I'm not sure what they changed about the formula, but when comparing the older USA lamps to the new China ones, the flow is drastically different. A shame that those of the 90s lamps are discontinued, im sure they'd sell very well if they made a comeback. Especially the centuries and the midnights.

bob y said:

Ah ok . In that case , why not maybe get a used cheap o China lamp n test on that .  I have also heard salt and or dish shop can help on China made , never tried though , also  I think it’s called break a line , it’s break cleaner ,  that might work . 

Idk what’s in but but it’s poison for sure , the even older lamps have even more crazy chemicals I think in them but they also flow better I hear , I  just got a late 70 s or early 80s lamp , the flow is so much better . China lamps r ok just can’t compare , keep me posted on your project if you can .

yooooo uh, I see some potentially reckless things happening in here.

Adding dish soap *and* epsom salts is gonna have an effect alright- all your lava is going to float to the top and stay there.

Epsom salts make the fluid denser, which makes the lava "lighter" in comparison.  This won't make it more active.  You'll ruin the balance of your lamp.

AND.  Epsom salts are... salts... which makes your liquid salty.  Which will reduce the life of the coil.  We like using Propelyne Glycol instead.

Adding dish soap (and only dish soap) may have a positive effect, you get stretchier blobs that way.  But you really shouldn't use any old dish soap- because most have additives that will cloud the water.  You want pure, additive free, clear soap, or ideally, pure Sodium Laurel Sulfate from a chemical supplier.

Brakleen is what we use to make the wax heavier, it contains perchlorethylene or tetrachlorethylene, which is toxic if you leave it on your skin, breathe the fumes, or... drink it.

Guys, there's tons of info on this forum about the ingredients of homemade lamps.  Don't just yeet stuff into a bottle without knowing what it does.

Thank you for this !

I assume the balance in the lamp is correct, as it flows beautifully with a 50 watt. It just doesn't move on 40 watts. Do you think the dish soap will fix this?

Ant Bee said:

yooooo uh, I see some potentially reckless things happening in here.

Adding dish soap *and* epsom salts is gonna have an effect alright- all your lava is going to float to the top and stay there.

Epsom salts make the fluid denser, which makes the lava "lighter" in comparison.  This won't make it more active.  You'll ruin the balance of your lamp.

AND.  Epsom salts are... salts... which makes your liquid salty.  Which will reduce the life of the coil.  We like using Propelyne Glycol instead.

Adding dish soap (and only dish soap) may have a positive effect, you get stretchier blobs that way.  But you really shouldn't use any old dish soap- because most have additives that will cloud the water.  You want pure, additive free, clear soap, or ideally, pure Sodium Laurel Sulfate from a chemical supplier.

Brakleen is what we use to make the wax heavier, it contains perchlorethylene or tetrachlorethylene, which is toxic if you leave it on your skin, breathe the fumes, or... drink it.

Guys, there's tons of info on this forum about the ingredients of homemade lamps.  Don't just yeet stuff into a bottle without knowing what it does.

To be honest, no, I don't think that's the issue.

The newer, China formulas just have a hard time with warming up. Similar to what you're saying, I have some 25 watt globes that actually do *very* well on 40 watt bases.

It's an issue with the wax recipe they switched to.

But by all means, if its a cheap lamp and you're ok with yourself if you should ruin it, experiment with soap.  Just use a drop at a time, let it fully cycle, and observe.

And I can't stress enough how much it needs to be additive free.

Just remember your physics guys.  When you increase temperature of said vessel, even more so one that is sealed, you increase pressure.  So please be careful experimenting with these late model China bombs! Good luck!

MaGoo!

See that blue lava lamp?  I've had a 60 watt bulb in it for many years.  It is a 90's lamp and just won't flow on a 40 watt bulb, just a raised mound halfway up, not even a column.  But look how good that flow is on a 60!  Just sayin

View from my recliner

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service