Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Greetings!   I've made some progress on my 4' tall tower lava lamp project.  The base is done, glass vase obtained (nice thick walls), and coupling is done - very secure.   I'm getting ready to mount the 200W spot light (on a dimmer - we will be going at this slowly) in the base and am looking for advice on space between the top of the bulb and the bottom of the glass floor.  In my Magma 3' tower the space is less than 1/2", but that's a pro built lamp with the special low expansion glass, and mine is just normal blown glass.    So, I was thinking an inch, or even two, to lessen the thermal gradients, but wonder if I'll end up struggling to get enough heat to warm up the whole column (5 gallons).

Advice and suggestions welcome!

Todd

Views: 1545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Todd,

To get it flowing much faster scoop out or siphon out some of the water and bring it to a boil and pour it back in. It will get to 110 in no time. Much faster than waiting all those hours

Already got the borosilicate. Hoping it's good enough to take the heat. I'm going to start with a 150W heat lamp. I can get a 250W if it's not enough. Still designing the top, bottom, and stand. Concerned about weight if I make concrete molds, but I might be able to make the walls a little thinner. Maybe.

Again, your tower looks spectacular. I look forward to starting the Titan this summer!

Todd said:

Erupted around three hours, and then the column slowly compressed down as the bottom softened over the next four hours.

Globs finally start going up and down at around seven hours, and within an hour of that the tower was at full flow.  The wax that Claude J provided worked great, no adjustment needed to get huge snakes and wild collisions! 

Left on its own in my 65 degree basement, it takes about 12 hours to get to full flow. Top tower temp at full flow then is around 110 F.

Good luck with your own project!  (I HIGHLY recommend avoiding the tempting glass vase path (and disaster it likely leads to) and spend the $$ on borosilicate. 

Todd

An aquarium heater would be more practical
Mark Golebiowski said:

Hi Todd,

To get it flowing much faster scoop out or siphon out some of the water and bring it to a boil and pour it back in. It will get to 110 in no time. Much faster than waiting all those hours

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service