Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hey, so in the UK Mathmos have their Clear/White colourway one day sale. Is it worth it? 

Does anyone have any vids of pics of running one at night? 

Thanks 

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess it depends. 

They look absolutely stunning new, but over time they will change colour.   If you are wanting it as an occasional lamp, I'd say go for it.  If you are more like me and have your lamps on all day every day then it probably won't stay that brilliant for long.

I have an old white one that's more of a peachy orange colour when it's running now.  I don't have it running at the minute but I could set it up and take some pictures once it's running if you like.

It's totally worth it but unlike most I don't run lamps for more than 6 hours never put mine in sunlight got bottles from 90s and still work in new condition I just look after mine well, these will go yellow in the end though 

Thanks guys! 

Though I wont have mine on all the time i support I like to run them for a few hours in the evening. I only have one at the moment so this will only be my second. I'm struggling to decide 

Yeah, I think it's down to individual preferences.

Honestly, I still like my "white" one, but it is most definitely not white any more.  It is really quite old though - it's the old style bottle with a wide cap.  I would imagine Mathmos would do another white run at some point so you could replace it before it reached that stage ;)

I’ve stuck my “white” on to give you an idea of how they end up.

Please keep in mind this thing is VERY old.  It’s not flowing yet obviously, but it will give you an indication of how they change over the years

lamp off:

lamp on:

I altered the colour levels of the last photo to make the wax look more like it does in real life as the camera made it look darker than it actually is.

I actually still quite like it even in its yellowed state, it’s a much more vibrant/bright “yellow” than my actual yellow or orange waxes.  I'm quite fond of it, it has character (I can relate I guess!)

I ended up buying 3 of the current limited run bottles in all honesty (would have ordered a couple more if they'd kept the discount...).  I love how they look, even if they don't stand up to the levels of abuse I give the poor things.  I figured 3 would keep me going for a while, plus I would keep them as a more occasional lamp regardless.

There's a photo susan posted in this 2020 thread of a newer bottle:

http://oozinggoo.ning.com/forum/topics/does-anyone-know-roughly-how...

Here's a picture of my clear/white Astro from the 2007 run, bit ‘creamy’ but still reasonably white, though hasn’t seen that much use - also the bottles from this era seem to have a slight blue/green tint to the glass which possibly has the effect of making the wax look whiter.

My millennium Telstar seems to have fared much worse, despite not being used much either, don’t have a photo to hand but looks distinctly peach/orange.

Thank you all again! I really appreciate the info.

I think I'm going to give it a miss today but will be looking to add another one or two to my collection soon. It's hard as there's a fair bit of choice in the colours and what I really love the look of clear and pink is hard to find. I hope they Mathmos change up the colour ways soon! 

Here's a picture of our Mathmos Astro clear and white bottle running at night. This was taken on the second run of this bottle, so it's brand new. It actually looks white when viewed in person, but on the photo it takes on a yellowy/creamy look, I guess that's from the bulb and some camera altering going on. There's no other lights on in the room. Clear and white has always been our favourite colour way. 

Just put your white lava lamp next to a dark lava lamp and you will be fine, wont notice the difference!  Not that hard! :P

It does look lovely thank you

Susan said:

Here's a picture of our Mathmos Astro clear and white bottle running at night. This was taken on the second run of this bottle, so it's brand new. It actually looks white when viewed in person, but on the photo it takes on a yellowy/creamy look, I guess that's from the bulb and some camera altering going on. There's no other lights on in the room. Clear and white has always been our favourite colour way. 

I see what you mean when you previously said these bottles change colour with time. I bet it's still really nice when it's running though, more of a orange and clear lol. At least it isn't cloudy, massive bonus that. Thanks for the pics

Not bad though for a 21 year old bottle. 

That will be an interesting test. 

I wish I could get bottles to last without going cloudy, all ours do with time, even following the golden rules. We do have some three in one astro bottles that are the totally clear and they've seen a lot of use. All our bottles are stored in cupboards with solid doors. Looking forward to seeing your experiment results. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service