Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Found oozinggoo.com when I was looking for ways to repair the Grande I picked up at CostCo a few years ago.  It's one of the Chinese made ones that has gone extremely cloudy and ceased to flow (going to try replacing the fluid one of these weekends). 

It was here that I found out about really big Lava lamps.  I was bowled over by videos of the  Colossus lamps and really want to see if I could get one, I couldn't find them available anywhere so I wrote LavaLite.  I wanted to let this group know what I got this from Lava Lite today:

We have a special promo on the Colossus for serious buyers.   This will be the last time the Colossus will be seen.

Please see attached promo sheet with pricing included.

If you are interested please contact on my direct line at 630-496-6663.

Best regards,

Susan Michaels

Customer Service Representative

LAVA LITE

630-496-6663 direct line

smichaels@lavalite.com

www.lavalite.com

Sadly these prices are outside of my discretionary funds, even though they include shipping.  I post it in hopes that someone here may be interested.

Views: 42057

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, that's what I've been doing and I can't get a good balance yet. I'm wondering if the Colossus likes being upstairs instead of in my finished basement. It's a few degrees warmer upstairs and it flowed well up there. When I moved it downstairs I couldn't get the nice flow of 1"-4" blobs anymore. It's either huge blobs, chunky bubbly columns, or stuck. It's very bubbly. The fluid is heating beneath the wax and rising up through the wax, bringing the wax with it. It almost seems like it needs more coils to attach to at the bottom to prevent the fluid from getting underneath the wax so much. I will keep cycling it and hoping for improvement--I can't really do anything else! :-)

Al Chemysto said:

ALSO 

Here's another technique I'm using successfully

Turn the lamp on full.

Once it melts to the point of "chunky flow"...

Turn down to about 60-70ish percent

That's sort of the breakthrough that happened earlier this week and keeps my lamp running pretty well non-stop.

Also when you see the 1st sign of it "going the way of hovering blobs", nip that in the bud and dial back until you don't see any bare coil peeking out. Once the wax has massed up and covers the coil, slowly start dialing up again to get it flowing again

Mine has two coils as well

Autumn said:

I think they all have 2 coils. I have a clear/red like yours. Mine won't even flow without coming off the coil, except it comes off the coil on the opposite side of the smaller coil. I can dim it down all the way until it does not flow and it will be fine, but as soon as it gets hot enough to flow it comes off the coil. I am going to leave it on all night at a very low temperature to see if it will somehow bond with the coil, but I am a bit pessimistic. I have had lamps where the wax came off the coil and the only solution I ever found was to replace the coil. Needless to say I do not want to have to replace the coil in this lamp.

razerface said:

is your small one in the center?

And I would also add, really let it flow and get the wax heated real well, then crank it back.  In my 70-75 degree room with no fan, I get good, long term flow with my Y/P at about 35 minutes - give or take a minute.  :>) 

For my Y/P, this 35 minute sweet spot has only been possible in the last week.  I think working the wax for several weeks is also key to eliminating the stuck flow.

I'm still trying to prevent my P/P from getting stuck.  For now, I'm abandoning the heat it slowly for days approach and shifting to the crank it up, get it flowing, and crank it back to 35 minutes approach.  I'll let you know if it works...

Many thanks to everyone for their comments and ideas.  Ya'll are a great bunch of folks!

Lest we forget why we are so obsessed with the Colossus, here is a picture of a yummy column my Y/P just produced:

Critter said:

Heat your lamp on max until it melts and begins to flow, now crank it back to about the 33 minute marker 

i bet that column looks sick in person.  nice!

It flowed for a couple hours yesterday. I found a spot on the dial that lets the lamp flow during the day and solidifies at night when the room cools off. I talked to Dale and he said the ones in the office exhibited the same behavior and for their lamps it went away with use.

same here, the room temp plays a huge role on lamp performance. I get up at 6am and found my lamp not flowing at the "sweet spot"  the temp at 6am was 60"  so when I put the heat on, and the temp was 68" within the hour the lamp was flowing perfectly.

GREAT PIC!!!

choda boy said:

Sweet pic. The wood base look better then I thought it would. I like it with that color combo. I wish my wife would let me get another one. 

The Colossus lamps are very nice, but it's the Tyler Stout posters that make my MOUTH WATER!!!!
Wow. That is AWESOME. The blue/yellow is better than I imagined. Jealous!!!!

choda boy said:

So can anyone confirm that the Colossi are all gone now?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service