Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

After extensive testing,  I'm now offering many NEW glitter colors in clear fast liquid.  They are gorgeous!  Here are a few of the options.  I'll post them all below in this discussion and in my videos.

I've also developed replacement slow glitter formulas for the Florence Art, Heat Tapes, Mastercrafters, and Crestworth glitter lamps of the 60s and 70s.  The liquid in these formulas is non-flammable, non-combustible, and much less toxic than the fast, solvent-based liquid. 

To simplify things, both fast and slow glitter liquid are now available at the same prices.  Here are some FAQs on the glitter liquid.

I fill all orders on a first come, first served basis.  I do all of the work by hand and take care to ensure quality.  Please allow 2-3 weeks from payment for delivery.

Fast or Slow Glitter Liquid In Containers 

$25 for one quart container (fills 32 oz globe)

$23 each for two or more.

$40 for two quart containers (fills 52 oz globe)

$37 each for two or more.

$140 for eight (8) quart containers (fills 250 oz Grande)

$115 for six (6) quart containers (fills 175 oz Lunar)

32 OZ LAVA GLOBE: ADD $10 each

52 OZ LAVA GLOBE: ADD $15 each *Very Limited Supply

NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE for refilling 32oz and 52oz globes that you supply!

ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING to USA Lower 48!  International, please contact me for a quote.

I prefer payment with Paypal.  My Paypal account is kirkolson@mac.com. 

If you need liquid to refill other size globes or you have vintage globes you’d like me to refill, please contact me for a quote.  My prices are very reasonable.

I no longer refill and ship Grande-sized globes, but I have excellent instructions with pictures if you want to refill a Grande with my containers of liquid. 

FAST GLITTER Liquid Color choices: Blue, Green, Red, Purple, Light Blue, Yellow, Orange, Teal, Pink, and Clear 

FAST GLITTER Glitter choices in Colored Liquid:

• Small Silver Holographic Hexagonal – Looks best in 32oz and 52oz globes
  • Medium Silver Holographic Square – Looks best in 32oz and 52oz globes
  • Large Silver Holographic Square – Looks best in Lunar, Grande, Gemlites, 52oz globes
  • Short Silver Holographic Strand – Looks best in 32oz and 52oz globes
  • Long Silver & Colored Holographic Strand - Looks best in 32oz, 52oz, and Grande globes (use 15watt, 25watt, 40watt bulbs)

*NEW* FAST COLORED GLITTER choices in Clear Liquid:

• Small Hexagonal: Gold (Holo), Green (Holo), Pink (Holo), Sky Blue (Holo), Ocean Blue (Holo), Navy (Holo), Turquoise, Lavender, Violet (Holo), Orange (Holo), Copper (Holo), Multicolor (Holo)
  • Small Squares: Violet (Holo), Pink (Holo), Sky Blue (Holo), Green (Holo), Gold (Holo), Navy (Holo), Silver (Holo)
  • Small Dots: Green (Holo), Pink (Holo)
  • Medium Dots: Gold (Holo), Ocean Blue (Holo), Silver (Holo)

SLOW GLITTER Liquid Color choices: Blue, Green, Red, Purple, Light Blue, Yellow, Orange, Teal, Pink, and Clear

SLOW GLITTER Glitter choices: 

• Small Silver Flakes – Best for Florence Art, Heat Tapes, Mastercrafter’s Clocks, Consorts, and 32 oz globes
  • Very Small Silver Flakes -- Best for Crestworth Glitterlite, Lava Lite Glitter Lite
  • *NEW* Small Metallic Gold Multicolor -- Best for Glitterama 

All liquid is non-combustible and non-flammable.  

The slow glitter liquid is very low in toxicity.

The fast glitter liquid is solvent-based and should be treated with caution. Use safety goggles and gloves when working with the liquid, and make sure your work area is well ventilated — turn on a fan. 

Use a funnel when pouring the liquid into your globes.  Promptly close your bottle openings with the plug and cap provided.

My shipping address is: 

Kirk Olson

For USPS: PO BOX 1188

For UPS, FEDEX: 11228 Parsons Rd

Manor, TX 78653

kirkolson@mac.com

Views: 21933

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a question. I have a small lamp (less than 20oz) that I'd like to fill with this glitter fluid, but my aim is to use a very low wattage bulb, like 15 watt, so is this fluid heat sensitive enough to work on low wattage bulbs like that?

I have a formula of this fast glitter that works on 10w bulbs.  I have these bulbs in both intermediate and candelabra.

I also have a slow glitter formula that is non-toxic and non-hazardous that looks and flows the same as Heat Tapes Stardust, Florence Art, and Mastercrafter's clocks.

Hi Kirk,

I have three empty 52oz bottles (the modern kind) and and a Mathmos base and cap that need some joy. I am thinking of doing the fill myself this time, though I may opt out and simply send a bottle your way. If I do fill it myself, what is the procedure? I assume you send a plug... I have bottle caps and a stand capper. For gookits I have typically heated the lamp up, then turned it off and waited for the lava to at least settle before capping it (i.e., I cap it warm to help ensure a bit of a vacuum... a good seal... and so it doesn't build undue pressure when reheated). For these lamps, do you simply fill, plug, and cap cold?

It has been a while since we have heard of your latest developments! Do you have anything new in the works? I noticed that green is off the table now...

Hope you had a nice Summer,

Chuck

Hi, Chuck.

Nice to hear from you.

I'm still tinkering away, but my father-in-law's health and other family matters have diverted much of my attention lately.  

I still fill the occasional order for the fast glitter formula, and I'm testing green and blue dyes for stability and a different, less expensive solvent-based formula.  The green and blue dyes are proving to be a real challenge.

My slow, glitter flake formula like the one used in the Heat Tapes Stardust, Florence Art, and Mastercrafter's clocks has been tested and is ready.   I'm really proud of this formula.  As soon as I get some free time, I'll post some pictures and  offer it for sale, too.  It is non-toxic and non-hazardous.  It looks and flows just like the original, and all liquid dye colors are stable - including green and blue. 

I do just fill, plug, and cap cold.  I ship the liquid and the glitter in 32 oz containers.  The top of the container is foil-sealed to prevent leaking/spills.  So, you would just use a funnel to pour the liquid/glitter into your globes.  Then, insert the plug provided, and cap them with the caps provided.  I think the Mathmos bottle has a screw on top, doesn't it?  If so, you just need to screw it back on after filling.  Really the process of filling them yourself is pretty easy -- just use a funnel and be careful when you pour.

Let me know how I can help.

Kirk

Sorry to hear that things are still tough on the home front. Hope things improve for you soon...

I saw your slow glitter-flake posting and look forward to seeing the videos! I am sure I will be ordering something down the road... I will probably have to dedicate a base to a lower watt bulb since I don't have any vintage glitter lamps to refill.

I am going to go ahead and order a fill-kit now for your fast formula. This time I will go with strand glitter and yellow liquid... it is a 52oz LL globe, but I have already confirmed that some of these fit nicely on the Astro base anyway. I don't actually have any empty Astro bottles. I had to buy my Astros over the phone and have them delivered to my hotel in London on a couple occasions... then bring them back in a suitcase! I wish they sold empty bottles...

On question I have though... my bottles are "clean" but I am not sure how clean. I bought them from an OG member and some of them may have been old stock from the surplus site when they had 52oz empty globes. I will rinse them well with water and can even swish some isopropyl alcohol in there as a final step to remove residual water (analytical chemistry class coming back to me). Is there anything you typically do when prepping bottles for your magic liquid?

Anyway... I will jump over to paypal and send the payment right away!

Take care,

Chuck

I'll get your yellow liquid/strand glitter order filled this weekend.  Thanks.

I probably over do the cleaning a bit, but I spray the interior of the globe with goof off (industrial strength) and rinse well.  Then, I repeat the process with Dawn liquid detergent.  Finally, I spray and rinse the interior and exterior with Sonax glass cleaner.  Washing and rinsing with Dawn with a good bottle brush is probably sufficient.

Just be sure to rinse really well, and let the globe dry completely before filling.

Thanks again,

Kirk

Hi, Kirk.  What does the strand glitter look like?

Kirk, what is the purpose of letting the globe dry completely before filling?  Would you say this also applies to when you do a goo kit?  because you have to swish distilled water and surf around when you do a goo kit.  I was just wondering because lately I have been experiencing streaks on the inside of my globes that aren't wax, but more of a film look to them.

Hi G.T,
Kirk is sending a yellow/strand kit to me...when I will it, I will take a photo and video and post here.

Hi Carol,
I don't let my globe dry completely for gookits. It doesn't make sense because the tiny bit of residual water just mixes with the surf/water when you swirl it. For a solvent-based glitter, I imagine that the water may either not adequately mix with the solvent or it throws off the chemical balance. I am going to wash my globe with soap and hot water followed by a rinse with acetone and/or isopropyl alcohol then rinse with distilled water followed by an air dry

G.T. - Here is a picture of the strand glitter in a Russian lamp I restored.  

Carol - what Chuck said.  The solvent-based liquid will not mix with water.  For lava lamps, a few droplets of water is  no problem.

Thank you, Kirk.  Very interesting....can you give me an idea of how long the strands are?  Is this a multicolor glitter?

Chuck, I'd really like to see this in yellow - bet it'll look fantastic!  I appreciate that.  What kind/color of base/cap are you putting it on?     

It's 1/8' long, G.T.  I wish I could find it longer.  :>)  It's not multicolor.  It's sliver, holographic.   The Russian bottle is painted on the bottom with red, green, and blue.  So, between the holographic and the paint - you get the colors.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2020   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service