Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

I recently purchased a wizard lava lamp on eBay. I dont even know if it counts as vintage but i do want to find a nice lamp to start my collection that wont empty my pockets. I know of centurys, coach lanterns, electrics, and wizards. I know about the vintage photo guide, but it doesn't have prices. For example i payed 11.50 usd for my wizard is that to much. Also I see a coach lantern for 24.99 is that overpriced of under priced.

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think that's a pretty good price for a wiz

is it in good shape?

$11 for a Wizard is a good price - they are pretty cool!

$24 for a Coach is a decent price, but I know there were reproductions of that item made in the 90s...or was it 2000s? So it depends on if the Coach is vintage or newer. If it's vintage, yes, that's a good price! 

there are like so many wizards on ebay for $9.99. I couldn't torn it down. I bid on the coach. Hope to win if i do ill check the cap for a date. The main reason i purchased the wizard was because i love the pinholes on centurys but they were to pricey and i was new and confused. The coach is listed as vintage on ebay.

If you post a link, someone here can likely tell you if it's a new Coach or an old one. 

Good luck! 

Kempton said:

there are like so many wizards on ebay for $9.99. I couldn't torn it down. I bid on the coach. Hope to win if i do ill check the cap for a date.
Darn in the last 30 seconds somebody placed $50 on the Coach and took me by storm. I lost so sad.

Erin said:

If you post a link, someone here can likely tell you if it's a new Coach or an old one. 

Good luck! 

A Wizard is a really pretty 90s lamp, and you got a great price on it. What color(s) is yours? As shown, Lava sold four base/cap colors, with either glitter or, later, lava bottles. Wizards were glitter first.

If you want to post auctions you're considering in here, you'll get some advice (and it might make other collectors consider not bidding, to let a beginner get some stuff). There are basically four different Lanterns: The originals were made in the UK by Crestworth and sold in the US as well, are gleaming copper and have a fake cap for a kerosene font on the base, off-center. These have a three-part handle, the top of which folds, and are worth mucho dinero. Later Coaches had a BRASS base with very red-copper cap and handle, and are even rarer. Followed by the common US Coach made from mid-70s until 1990, with a one-piece handle that clips into the base (do NOT pick these up by the handle!), and no fill cap. These have a subtle copper finish and are common but no less beautiful. The 2000s Coach, made for only a few years, have an oddball hookup for the top handle, a small rotary power switch centered on the base in lieu of the fill cap, and were sold only with a red/purple bottle. They weren't around for long, so their value will go up.

Here are two nice vintage lamps currently up. My criteria for posting these two specifically is that they: have no bids, are 80s or older, are in good condition, and are reasonably priced for what they are.

Red Century with box: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Lava-Lamp-Red-Lava-Pierced-Base-17-Tall... 

Another red Century with box: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1970s-Large-Red-Lava-Lamp-Lite-Model-10... 

Here's a mid-90s Midnight in white/blue at a fairly good price: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Lava-Lamp-Original-LavaLite-Blue-fluid-...

Mid-90s Enchantress in red/yellow, also at a good price if you can ignore all the overwrought 70s cliches the seller pumped into the description, assuming it's a 60s or 70s lamp which it isn't: http://cgi.ebay.com/Groovy-Vintage-Lava-Lamp-Can-ya-dig-it-/2806155...

As to prices, it comes down to personal opinions, really. Me, I'd pay no more than $40-50 for the Centuries, and $30-40 tops for the other two (which were sold new at Spencer Gifts in the 90s for $39.95). Some would pay more, or less. Your local Craigslist is another good possibility; again, feel free to drop posts from your local Craigslist in here for opinions.

~ Jonas

I like this red century at a good price with only a bad spot http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1970s-Large-Red-Lava-Lamp-Lite-Model-/1...

I would feel safer buying from oozinggoo members than random ebay people

The wizard is black base and light blue liquid and dark blue lava

Bohdan..........You mentioned a clear multi glitter,can you please explain what this is? I have never heard that description before.
The multi color glitter was red, blue and green glitter vs. the normal silver glitter. They made them in clear and red liquids.

Joe said:
Bohdan..........You mentioned a clear multi glitter,can you please explain what this is? I have never heard that description before.

mult glitter sounds beautiful

Thanks for your reply Lamphead,I kind of like the glitters also.I have about three or four wizards in my collection but none are the multi color.

Well i have decided i bought the wizard and a crestworth jet with a mathmos bottle.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service