Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

New BIG lava lamp from Mathmos. Yep even bigger than the IO. 

Go tl their website and look at their youtube channel for 3 videos. 

Looks a lot like the Crestworth princess. But not as classy. Looks like only 1 colour too. Yellow with Red wax. Movement looks sluggish, nothing like the princess. 

Too big for me and probably expensive too. 

What are your thoughts? 

Views: 1851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doesn't bode well for the launch of the Saturn, does it?

3-4 hours in a cold room, maybe, at 100w?  Second mortgage time...

Maybe Mathmos should re-introduce glitter - quicker and much safer nowadays?

Still, it should please all the collector/investors out there - Saturn's gonna be a rare lamp...

Is the Saturn lamp going to be a limited edition, or is it joining the regular production like IO etc?

PS I agree, a reintroduction of glitter would be great, given it heats up much faster

andy ross said:

Doesn't bode well for the launch of the Saturn, does it?

3-4 hours in a cold room, maybe, at 100w?  Second mortgage time...

Maybe Mathmos should re-introduce glitter - quicker and much safer nowadays?

Still, it should please all the collector/investors out there - Saturn's gonna be a rare lamp...

I've still got all 5 original glitter baby bottles and they are all still like new and work perfectly. It amazes me why Mathmos are so stubborn and won't rerelease them. An astro and io/lunar bottles with glitter mix would be amazing. Goo Lamps bottles are just too expensive to ship to the uk. 

So glad i kept my originals. They work great in neos too. 

I think the Saturn will be a limited run. I doubt they will be a continuous item. Too big and bulky. Just watching the unboxing video, the bottle looks massive and ultra heavy. I struggle enough with my io bottles let alone one of these monsters. 

Yup, I agree about the colours for the candle powered lamps.  My desk has a black wall behind it and I literally cannot see the pink/blue.  I got one of the limited yellow pink ones and that wasn't too bad, but yes, they definitely need lighter colours for these.

I turned my astros on a couple of hours ago and one of them is really struggling, although that is the one that has been used the most (and overheated in all honesty).  The wax has turned quite strange actually - it was a violet orange, and the opaque pigment in the orange seems to have fallen out of suspension and clumped - it gives an almost frosted look to it.

Jezza said:

The fireflow and pods are great little lamps imo. It's just the colours have been very ill thought out. The brightest is yellow orange and blue yellow. But they get darker from then on. The pink blue is a complete waste of time. Violet pink and violet orange are hoth quite dark and are distracted by the flicker of the flame. 

I liked the idea of white wax. I think this would have worked very well with coloured masterfluid. 

Astros take an age to get going in this cold weather. So does the io. Neos wont work at all if theyre in a cold room. The best ones for a quick start are the baby and telstar and work quite well in a colder room. 

Pictures of my (still fairly cold) weird wax: (no idea why one is sideways, on mobile and can’t seem to rotate it…).

When it gets going and stretches out, it basically looks like slightly shiny flakes suspended in a clear red wax.

This has happened to bottles of ours, we've found it never clears. No idea why it happens. Hopefully someone else will have some insight for you on the cause. We put it down to faulty wax.

Hey. I agree that an Astro isn’t going to heat your home but what I am saying is that if you are in a time of year when you have to heat you are not wasting energy by running the lamp too.  Efficiency is all about using as much of the energy’s output as possible.  It is inefficient to run a lamp that “needs to generate heat to work as designed” during the summer months when you need to be cooling your home with air conditioning.  For example if you are running four Astros in a small room that has a window air conditioning unit.  Those lamps can create enough heat to require the ac unit to need to run a tad more…that’s inefficiency.  During the winter months if you were to run those same four lamps in the same room but are no longer needing to cool the room and are actually needing to heat the room it does not matter. Let’s say you generate the heat with an electric space heater and the Astro lamps are helping too with their small heat output…that’s efficient.  During the cool months you run the lamps essentially for no extra energy cost overall because their heat is also beneficial to your energy spending needs in the room, that is all I am saying.  

I had two lamps, a Colossus and Humungo lamp, in a room a few years ago and I never ran them during the months I needed the room cool because the air conditioning had to run a lot in there to over come the extra heat in the room.  I ran the hell out of them during the winter months and the heat didn’t have to run in that room while they were on so their running cost was nothing really different than what energy cost I would have incurred anyhow with just regular heating. 

Run them when their heat is in line with your current energy consumption needs.  

MonsoonStorm said:

They are about to get a whole lot higher too.

We've had 12 energy firms go bust in the past month.  Prices are high in Europe in general at the minute, but then a huge cable that supplies us with power from France was damaged which means there is even less to go around, they reckon it won't be fixed until around March.  There have been rumours of potential brown/blackouts this winter, impossible to know whether it's media hype or the govt attempting to soften the blow of an actual impending issue with one of their many "leaks".

Gas prices (natural gas used by cookers/heating systems, not the petrol used by cars) have also rocketed which is something to do with Russia I believe.  Basically, it's going to be a really shitty winter.  The heat put out by the lamps would nowhere near offset the cost of running them, although I do justify using the ones on my desk this way as I am sitting about 50cm away from them (one on each side of my monitor), and the room that my desk is in is particularly cold.  Most of the country uses gas for central heating wherever it's possible due to it being much cheaper and more efficient than electricity.

Critter said:

I didn’t realize UK electrical costs were so high. Maybe the candle powered lamps are the way to go?

Keep in mind though that running your electric lamps during the colder months, where you have to heat the house anyway, is the way to go since one has to use energy to heat with…running a Lava Lamp generates heat. So in its own small way a Lava Lamp helps heat the house.  So fall and winter are the most energy efficient times of the year to run your lamp.  

Wow!  Nice colors. 

Susan said:

This has happened to bottles of ours, we've found it never clears. No idea why it happens. Hopefully someone else will have some insight for you on the cause. We put it down to faulty wax.

Ah, the incredible majority of people don't have aircon in the UK.  Honestly, where I live (North) there's not a huge amount of "summer" lol, anything above 25C (77F) is cause for celebration, anything above 30C (86F) is very rare.  The biggest reason for me not bothering with the lamps in summer is that we only get maybe 4 hrs of dark at the peak of summer!  Having said that, I think I'm part lizard as I'm always cold.

I actually don't mind it to be honest, it's something a bit different, and when it heats up properly you can see even smaller tiny particles suspended in a clearer wax, it's kinda cool to see the currents within the wax.  I wouldn't mind a clear wax with some kind of something suspended in it :)

Susan said:

I think I would love that.  I am always hot and prefer low light days.  

MonsoonStorm said:

Ah, the incredible majority of people don't have aircon in the UK.  Honestly, where I live (North) there's not a huge amount of "summer" lol, anything above 25C (77F) is cause for celebration, anything above 30C (86F) is very rare.  The biggest reason for me not bothering with the lamps in summer is that we only get maybe 4 hrs of dark at the peak of summer!  Having said that, I think I'm part lizard as I'm always cold.

We don't really mind ours either, it gives a bit of texture to the look lol. 

MonsoonStorm said:

I actually don't mind it to be honest, it's something a bit different, and when it heats up properly you can see even smaller tiny particles suspended in a clearer wax, it's kinda cool to see the currents within the wax.  I wouldn't mind a clear wax with some kind of something suspended in it :)

Susan said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service