Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

New BIG lava lamp from Mathmos. Yep even bigger than the IO. 

Go tl their website and look at their youtube channel for 3 videos. 

Looks a lot like the Crestworth princess. But not as classy. Looks like only 1 colour too. Yellow with Red wax. Movement looks sluggish, nothing like the princess. 

Too big for me and probably expensive too. 

What are your thoughts? 

Views: 1935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes totally agree with you Jezza, even a first 50 would have been great.

Jezza said:

First 10 already sold out. Why just 10? This is a bit stingy. Id have stuck to 100 myself give everyone a chance. So that would be 5 for the UK and 5 for Europe. I don't think they are expecting so sell many. 

Ideally, if they could make another lamp using this bottle, but with a much smaller base (both in height and width), more people might be able to buy it.

Maybe if the base was about a foot and a half (45 cm), and the bottle is then I think about 2 feet (60 cm). Price £800 maybe? I'd buy that.

It's the base I don't like myself, it's too over powering for the bottle. I loved the original Princess design, it looked more in scale and more like a piece of furniture. Not to mention the price as that puts it out of our range for a lamp. 

perishingtardis said:

Ideally, if they could make another lamp using this bottle, but with a much smaller base (both in height and width), more people might be able to buy it.

Maybe if the base was about a foot and a half (45 cm), and the bottle is then I think about 2 feet (60 cm). Price £800 maybe? I'd buy that.

Yes, it's the same problem the iO has, and (dare I say it) even the Lunar. It's all base and no bottle. On an iO, the height of bottle you can see is actually barely more than an Astro, although it's fatter.

Susan said:

It's the base I don't like myself, it's too over powering for the bottle. I loved the original Princess design, it looked more in scale and more like a piece of furniture. Not to mention the price as that puts it out of our range for a lamp. 

perishingtardis said:

I agree, that's why our largest lamp is an Astro. I want to see lava, but I don't want to see all shiny metal bases that are more of a feature than the lava. Personal preference I guess, but Rockets don't do it for me. I see them in kids rooms and dens, not as regular pieces of furniture in the average sized UK house. No offence meant there to the thousands of people who love those lamps, but it's our personal preference. 

perishingtardis said:

Yes, it's the same problem the iO has, and (dare I say it) even the Lunar. It's all base and no bottle. On an iO, the height of bottle you can see is actually barely more than an Astro, although it's fatter.

Susan said:

perishingtardis said:

I couldn't agree more, a total and radical redesign for lava lamps is needed. 

In the past the bases had to be large to hold the bulb and bulb holder. But now we are using linear halogen and capsule bulbs, there simply is no need for such huge bases. The neo is a good example of how the base can be made to be much smaller for the lamp itself. A radical astro redesign is now urgently needed. 

The reason the io has such a big base is that the bottle neck makes for such a big cap and a small base would look just odd. Personally i really like the io. 

The saturn is just plain ugly. Maybe if the legs could be hidden behind some furniture then maybe it would look ok. I think the only real application this could have is on the next series of doctor who. Or some other TV programme where it could be customized. I don't think this is aesthetically pleasing for home use at all. Let's hope future lamps don't go down this route. 

I do like my iO, but I think it would have been better without the bars down the side of the bottle. At the time, I assumed this was done for modern safety reasons, so that if knocked over the whole thing doesn't fall apart and the bottle is less likely to smash. But now with the Saturn having a fully open bottle, clearly the safety is not considered as all-important (which I would agree with).

Also pricing the Saturn bottles at £1,000 is a complete piss take.

And my iO bulb has just blown and they're out of stock of iO bulbs!

Defiantly not one for me either, not that I would be in the market for a lamp at that price point in any case

Not a huge fan of the princess on which it’s based either but at least they were a bit better proportioned, with the wooden legs helping it look a bit more ‘classy’

For this sort of money you would hope for some level of finesse, but this just doesn’t look resolved at all, with its lanky mecanno-esque legs and clumsy looking ‘feet’

I said before it’s certainly more make-shift sci-fi prop that elegant design piece ( I think someone above mentioned Dr. Who - that was pretty much the first thing that came to my mind)

I would like to see a shift away from the "space" theme personally.  Not everything needs to be rocket-esque!

I'd love to see a bit more elegance and refinement, something more contemporary, or even something more classic/old-fashioned!  Lamps that will fit in with more styes of decor.  The Neo was a good start in that respect, whilst still kinda "rockety" it's much more contemporary and will look ok in a wider range of furnishing styles.  It's also why I'd like to see some clear bottles.  I love the colours etc, but they've been done to death for 50 years now, can we have a little more elegance/refinement?!

My thoughts exactly, clear bottles give a wonderful effect but they are rarely available. The only lamps in their range that fit our decor are the Astro and Astro baby, then not all of them will match. 

Mathmos have stayed with the rocket theme since the early 90's and those mathmos type figures they had which I thought were aimed at young children. Great for kids but not for all adult tastes. 

MonsoonStorm said:

I would like to see a shift away from the "space" theme personally.  Not everything needs to be rocket-esque!

I'd love to see a bit more elegance and refinement, something more contemporary, or even something more classic/old-fashioned!  Lamps that will fit in with more styes of decor.  The Neo was a good start in that respect, whilst still kinda "rockety" it's much more contemporary and will look ok in a wider range of furnishing styles.  It's also why I'd like to see some clear bottles.  I love the colours etc, but they've been done to death for 50 years now, can we have a little more elegance/refinement?!

I know it's unlikely, but has anyone here actually bought one? I've got a cat in hells chance of getting one, but would really like to see a photo or video of one in the flesh. In someone's actual home if you know what i mean. 

I would also like to see a little finesse in future lamps. Like the crestworth elegance. Or the astro lantern. But something new. 

No, granite in the new kitchen was more important to me lol. Plus even if I did have the money to spare for a lamp, I wouldn't pay that much for one, couldn't justify it myself. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Mark Goo created this Ning Network.

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service