Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Have a Mathmos Neo bottle I’m thinking of repurposing as a glitter, but with the now prohibitive costs of getting glitter kits in the UK I was thinking of just buying a cheap generic glitter lamp as a ‘donor’ and transferring the contents over - just wondered if anyone else had done similar?

Seems it should be straightforward enough, in theory, but I wonder if there might be factors I hadn’t considered?

Also a bit worried about the health and safety aspect with the potent solvent based fluids apparently used in some glitter lamps

As ever any help/ advice is gratefully received

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Modern glitter lamps are not made with solvent based formulas. They are made with things like sodium nitrate or calcium chloride dissolved in water. These are relatively safe. Just don't eat or drink it or put it in your eyes and you will be fine. When you clean the bottle make sure to manually scrub the inside of the globe to remove any wax residue especially if the wax was sticking to the glass. Rinse with distilled water for non solvent based glitter formulas. Rinse with acetone if you are using a solvent based glitter formula.

I don't understand what you mean, as the final costs for an UK Import from Germany is only 1% more tax compared to before brexit. You can use a service like mygermany.com for the forwarding, so no min order quantity. They forward very cheap, price for forwarding is nearly the same compared to the standard shipping prices directly to uk.

I do it all the time just don't mix different brands. See some of the lamps I've posted here that I've designed using other glitter lamps liquid and glitter and it's way cheaper to swap.  One day LavaLite had a sale and free shipping so I jumped to the chance to create the perfect set of lamps. I think it took something like 14 or more to create the worlds only two Grande 27'' Rainbow Glitter lamps. I believe I have pictures posted of the lamps here. I even purchased two gold grande bases so they look like the original smaller lamps.  The amber color they emit is unlike any other lamp LavaLite ever created.   They are by far my favorites and I did it over 5 years ago and they are still rocking like they did the day I created them.  Just make sure to post your lamp here when finished. 

Thanks for that, not sure I can match that sort of ambition, but will see how it goes with this little 'project'

So, got a generic Chinese glitter lamp from eBay, liquid is a nice colour but the glitter seems poor quality, with quite a few broken flakes and resulting ‘shrapnel’ - was toying with the idea of filtering the liquid and adding different glitter but not sure what type of glitter would work

Anyone any ideas?

You may find changing the actual glitter pieces / add new glitter may result in not flowing, the glitter flakes in the liquid you have has been worked out for weight and suspension in the fluid aka use heavier glitter could result in it staying at the bottom and not moving, or to light and stay at the top

lampfancy said:

Thanks for that, not sure I can match that sort of ambition, but will see how it goes with this little 'project'

So, got a generic Chinese glitter lamp from eBay, liquid is a nice colour but the glitter seems poor quality, with quite a few broken flakes and resulting ‘shrapnel’ - was toying with the idea of filtering the liquid and adding different glitter but not sure what type of glitter would work

Anyone any ideas?

Well, yes… it was why I was asking - to see if anyone has done this and knew what types of glitter would work.

Haven’t added anything yet but a bought a packet of cosmetic grade heat/ solvent resistant glitter that I was contemplating trying, in terms of shape and size it looks virtually identical to the glitter the bottle was issued with.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service