Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Hi all,

I have a 90s USA lamp with some strange flow. I have uploaded photos below;

The majority of the melted wax tends to stay in a dome at the bottom, while releasing little "bubbles". It stays at the bottom the entire time, even though there is still some minimal flow. I tilt it side to side, and the wax at the bottom moves around- it's almost like the wax stays with the coil.

The issue may not be the heat output.. I leave it on for 4 hours and it flows this way. I left it on overnight, and it flows this way.

The issue may also not be the wax, because I have seen it flow optimally for a little a couple times before. I have even used a hairdryer to get more of the wax up, which had a small effect.

- I tried with and without a heat ring

- Correct bulb is being used

- Coil is always in correct position

Because of the flow issue, the lamp appears awfully dark in person.. so I have been wondering, how can I correct this flow?

Why is the wax behaving this way? Is there a water density problem? Is there any way to get it up and moving correctly?  Any help would be highly appreciated.

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don’t know fore sure and i wouldn’t do this unless I had to but , maybe the wax to needs re melted without the water inside, then cool down then add the water back? I had a 90s lamp that flowed bad or not at at and I did that and it works.

if you wana know more let me know I’ll find some of the post from here about how to do it . I also wouldn’t open the lamp until I had no other choice . In lava library they have some good tips also . Let me know how it goes . The color looks cool . Good luck 

What temperature is the globe getting to? It should get to about 120F to flow and can get up to about 140F at full temperature. I can't say for sure, but this could be a density issue. You can add glycerol in 1-5ML amounts at a time and see what it does. If it doesn't react after 5ML I'd leave it be. If you see it start to rise a bit you can keep adding it until it flows. I have yet to come across this specific issue so I can't say for sure though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Oozing Goo

By using the eBay button above, you support OG if you purchase anything. Thanks for thinking of us. Mark Goo

© 2021   Created by Mark Goo.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service