Oozing Goo - The Lava Lamp Syndicate

Lava Lite depresses me (when will I ever learn?)

It's my own stupid fault. I see cheap lamps and I get excited. Every single one I bring home is disappointing. I don't know why I even bother. If I get one that's clear, the flow is crap (well, they all flow like crap). Residue on the bottom. Residue on the inside of the glass. Horrible flow. Cloudy. Hazy. Overheats quickly. 

They're all getting returned...except one I'm keeping to test out pinholes on the base.

My very first "new" China Lava Lite. Got this summer of 2010. It didn't flow. Returned it the next day.

Next up, my China blue/white. Sent the base to Mike (blindfaith) this week. Globe is clear, flow is boring:

I think we all remember this one. I wrote up a huge thread about it. What a shame. Returned for full refund to Lava Lite. 

Orange/black 52oz. Horribly cloudy. Residue on inside. It was nasty to look at.

Exchanged for this:

^^ This one is clear, but has gunk in the coil/wax, which I just discovered this week:

Bought five of these for $8/each. The blue/white wouldn't stick to the coil, the purple/red was so cloudy you couldn't see through it. I returned those two. I might keep the remaining three for experiments or glitter, but they are pretty depressing to look at (pretty awful flow):

Lastly, I purchased this at Target last week. A little hazy, residue on the inside and the flow, well, you know the story...

I know I'm an idiot for even buying them, and it's weird how I try and justify keeping them ("well, they're not THAT bad" or "I could use this for parts") but that's a pretty sad reason to keep something that you don't like. 

I've been running these off and on all weekend and each time I look at them, they just disappoint me. 

No point to this thread...just wanted to share my thoughts. Friends don't let friends buy Lava Lite, right? ;)

*sigh*

Views: 7111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

is that 52 oz plasma there?

Yes, it is, and though those aren't really my thing (I prefer spherical ones or the colored spirals) it looked nice.

I went to Bed bath and beyond and I beleive the name is the Mega Electro plasma lamp. Basicly its an electro designed as a 32oz globe but they wanted $34.95 for it and I'm glad I waited because shortly after I took my trip in to Spencers and scored the 52oz Electro for $29.99 and its a good buy.

As far as the Lava Lamps at Spencers its important to note that I'm speaking about me and me only. I have purchased many china lamps from Lava Lites and their retailers on-line and I kid you not I'm 0/12 upon receiving good lamps. Why I was stupid enough to even continue buying after I received my 2nd bad one is a mystery.

But Here's my point: A while back I purchased 2 52oz American made lava lamps from an ebay seller some 2,000+ miles away in California and it was the worst form of packing that I have ever seen to date and I thought for sure I got screwed. I opend the box and the bases of course were dented but the globes were perfect. Crystal clear and great flow and to this date they are my favorite and I decided to not even raise an eyebrow with the seller. So to sum things up: How is it that I can receive perfect american made lamps from the west coast in perfect condition but yet I can't receive good china lamps from a distance of 2 hours away? But in a nutshell I would pay $50+ for a lamp with good quality and an awesome flow and I'm finding that I should just buy Amercian on-line.

So I have to do what I have to do and speaking for myself if I want to buy a China lamp I have to buy it from spencers due to fact that I've never been screwed.

As far as that Pink in Yellow. When I first purchased the lamp it defenently looked red. I've been running it and it looks more like the pink wax that was in the Daisy resin lamp that Lava World sold some time back.

Finally found the pic of my orange/black. As bad as this looks, it was worse when it ran:

That's a damn shame as that, in my opinion, is an outstanding color combination.  The one I have is below.  It flows great too (on a 40 watt spotlight).

Erin said:

Finally found the pic of my orange/black. As bad as this looks, it was worse when it ran:

I very much wanted one for Halloween, too. :( It was the last one my Spencer's had, so I couldn't try out another one.

Verry true - its a unushal and grate cloure combo, I would like to get one but I don't trust lava lite so will have to think of another alternitave - gookit or consider asking Mathmos to do a custom orange / black asrto bottle

Was the one you got Jim a china one or USA?

Jim said:

That's a damn shame as that, in my opinion, is an outstanding color combination.  The one I have is below.  It flows great too (on a 40 watt spotlight).

Erin said:

Mine is China, but I bought it days after they first came out.  I think the very early ones were good.  Later ones - not quite so good.

Tim Gill said:

Verry true - its a unushal and grate cloure combo, I would like to get one but I don't trust lava lite so will have to think of another alternitave - gookit or consider asking Mathmos to do a custom orange / black asrto bottle

Was the one you got Jim a china one or USA?

Jim said:

Erin said:

If only Mathmos made something on the size like the grande.. :(

Friends don't let friends buy Lava Lite, right? ;)-----------------------------------------> CHINESE LAVA LAMPS!!  ;p

Agreed. ;)

Mr MaGoo said:

Friends don't let friends buy Lava Lite, right? ;)-----------------------------------------> CHINESE LAVA LAMPS!!  ;p

I think my Blak/Clear is one of those China Lava Lite but im not sure
are you abel to post a picture of the cap and the package

http://billedeupload.dk/photo/2011-10/a21a32bd/Billede0541.jpg.html

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Autumn created this Ning Network.

GooHeads

Groups

© 2024   Created by Autumn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service